Help a writer - by using your awesome knowledge of fantasy

denstorebog

Thank you, but I'm actually covered in terms of the original post. Now I'm mainly looking for answers to the follow-up question (see above). I'll just repeat it here to make sure it is seen:

1. Name some works of fantasy in which a main character or a villain aspires to ascend to godhood but fails (Example: Raistlin Majere in Dragonlance).

1. Name some works of fantasy in which a main character or a villain aspires to ascend to godhood but fails (Example: Raistlin Majere in Dragonlance).

Stover's Acts of Caine, Blade of Tyshalle in particular, but that's probably quite obvious. Not sure about failing though.

Thank you, but I'm actually covered in terms of the original post. Now I'm mainly looking for answers to the follow-up question (see above). I'll just repeat it here to make sure it is seen:

The Light is the Darkness by Laird Barron is frickin' amazing. The blurb:

Conrad Navarro is a champion of the Pageant, a gruesome modern day gladiatorial exhibition held in secret arenas across the globe. Indentured by a cabal of ultra-rich patrons, his world is one of blood and mayhem, an existence where savagery reigns supreme while mercy leads to annihilation. Conrad's sister has vanished while traveling in Mexico. Imogene, a decorated special agent for the FBI, was hot on the trail of a legendary scientist whose vile eugenics experiments landed him on an international most-wanted list. Imogene left behind a sequence of bizarre clues that indicate she uncovered evidence of a Byzantine occult conspiracy against civilization itself -- a threat so vast and terrible, its ultimate fruition would herald an event more inimical to all terrestrial life than mere extinction. Now, Conrad is on the hunt, searching for his missing sister while malign forces seek to manipulate and destroy him by turns. It is an odyssey that will send this man of war from the lush jungles of South America, to the debauched court of an Aegean Prince, to the blasted moonscape of the American desert as he becomes inexorably enmeshed within a web of primordial evil that stretches back unto prehistory. All the while struggling to maintain a vestige of humanity; for Conrad has gazed into an abyss where the light is the darkness, and he has begun the metamorphosis into something more than human...

#3: Example of fantasy literature where an inn is central or catalyst to the plot. Bonus points if the inn has a name. (Example: The Inn Of The Last Home in Dragonlance: Chronicles.)

In Gardens of the Moon, the first novel in the Malazan Book of the Fallen by Steven Erikson (pretty mainstream) the Phoenix Inn is a very frequent setting. Felt like every other chapter took place in it lol.

Deathless, by Catherynne M. Valente, has the heroine trying to become the Goddess of Life.

• 2 weeks later...

^The only thing I can think of that maybe, sorta, kinda comes close to this would be "Eon: Dragoneye Reborn" by Alison Goodman. The main character is chosen as a sort of catalyst/host body to the gods, but fails in her duty. (In the first book anyways.) Sorry if that's not exactly what you're looking for. :dunno:

• 2 weeks later...

I'm resurrecting this thread with a follow-up question, since the last batch of answers was really helpful.

The Book of Genesis

Milton's Paradise Lost

A lot depends on what you mean by "godhood". Many "mad scientist" stories involve partially successful attempts to achieve powers traditionally regarded as "godlike", such as the creation of life:

Some "mad scientist" stories:

Mary Shelley's FRANKENSTEIN

Lovecraft's HERBERT WEST--REANIMATOR.

R.L. Stevenson's story of Dr. Jeckyl & Mr. Hyde echoes the theme of GENESIS that the quest for (godlike?) knowledge of good and evil can lead to horrific consequences

Many of G.K.Chesterton's writings deal with the link between madness and the desire for godhood. But I cannot think of any that count as fantasy stories in the narrow sense.

In Lovecraft's "Through the Gates of the Silver Key", the protagonist achieves godlike levels of occult enlightenment, at a dreadful cost to his humanity.

Richard Cavendish's non-fiction book The BLACK ARTS strongly identifies magic/occultism with the desire to achieve a sort of godhood.

Maybe some clarification on what sort of occult desires or powers qualify for "godhood" would help us track down what you are looking for.

Important plot points under spoiler tags. So, spoiler alert:

1. Memory, Sorrow and Thorn by Tad Williams

Main villain made himself extremely powerful through unnatural experiments and wants to revive himself in new body after 500 years.

2. Mistborn by Brian Brandon Sanderson. Great series.

Hero actually ascended to godhood thousand of years ago. The problem is, he sucked at it and was corrupted by it, and by the time of the first book he is a villain.

Good luck with your book :)

Important plot points under spoiler tags. So, spoiler alert:

1. Memory, Sorrow and Thorn by Tad Williams

Main villain made himself extremely powerful through unnatural experiments and wants to revive himself in new body after 500 years.

2. Mistborn by Brian* Sanderson. Great series.

Hero actually ascended to godhood thousand of years ago. The problem is, he sucked at it and was corrupted by it, and by the time of the first book he is a villain.

Good luck with your book :)

*Brandon...

Sorry...:leaving:

Archived