What if Lyanna lived?

TimJames

What if instead of dying, Lyanna was alive and well when Ned found her in the Tower of Joy? How would the story and the lives of the characters be different?

Bad news. For her, for Jon and for the entire Seven Kingdoms. She'd better commit suicide.

Yes, Ned would have to choose between fighting Robert to save his sister and her son, or handing the pair over to Robert for execution.

I imagine he'd have chosen the former.

Yes, Ned would have to choose between fighting Robert to save his sister and her son, or handing the pair over to Robert for execution.

...and may have gotten a dagger in the back whatever he chose.

For supporting "that "/)§(&"/@ bitch" or abandoning his sister and nephew, depending which part the Lord in question valued more.

...and may have gotten a dagger in the back whatever he chose.

For supporting "that "/)§(&"/@ bitch" or abandoning his sister and nephew, depending which part the Lord in question valued more.

He'd have been between the devil and the deep blue sea for sure. We know that Ned was furious with Robert for the death of the Targaryen children. I think that a demand for the heads of Lyanna and Jon would have prompted a flat refusal on his part, and a threat of war. And, I doubt if someone like Roose Bolton would have had any interest in fighting to save the pair.

But, as you suggest, I don't doubt some Northern Lords would have been disgusted if he'd just handed them over, and, at the very least, any authority he had in the North would have been shot to pieces.

Lyanna? Girlfriend, she is a strong northern woman! She does what she wants!

If she had lived she would have marched right back to Winterfell and done her own thing.

Maybe trained as a warrior? She is a lot like Arya apparently.

Maybe open a non profit? or hike the forests of the North to "find herself"

I don't like the idea of men deciding what her life will be.

Robert saw Lyanna as a victim who was kidnapped and raped by Rhaegar so he would not do her harm. She and Ned would probably agree that Jon must be hidden from Robert and would devise a plan to do so.

...which works exactly as long as Lyanna behaves like a grateful damsel saved out of distress. Which she won't be able to keep up. Or is dead. Which she can keep up.

Robert saw Lyanna as a victim who was kidnapped and raped by Rhaegar so he would not do her harm. She and Ned would probably agree that Jon must be hidden from Robert and would devise a plan to do so.

...which works exactly as long as Lyanna behaves like a grateful damsel saved out of distress. Which she won't be able to keep up. Or is dead. Which she can keep up.

Just so. Would Lyanna be able to manage a life with a man who had killed the man she loved, and whose child she had fathered?

And that's before Robert asks her things like "Why didn't you try to escape? Why didn't you kill yourself rather than endure such dishonour? " And, Robert's words on his deahbed suggest that in his heart, he knew very well that Rhaegar didn't rape Lyanna.

She'd have had to accept to marry Robert to maintain that charade. But then that means no Cersei on the throne. She and Jaime can keep banging to little threat to the kingdom. There is the chance that the Robert, while not becoming a different man, at least does not let himself deteriorate into an alcoholic (he clearly wasn't in his elite fighter days) which means he is less of an hindrance to Jon Arryn (He seemed to have listened to him more in his sober days).

Aside from Lyanna not getting her dream marriage, it is just about possible that things turn out better.

But would Robert execute Lyanna? And, assuming R+L=J, would Robert not listen to her begging for her own son's life? This is Lyanna, the woman he unconditionally loved until his death. Let us also assume that Lyanna wouldn't neccessarily push for Jon being heir to the throne, considering Robert had already conquered it.

Yeah....

Robert wouldn't have executed Lyanna ( as in a headsman) but he may have killed her in a fit of passion, after learning she never loved him, and was never kidnapped by Rhaegar at all.

The problem was that the Lyanna Robert loved wasn't a real person. She was easy on the eyes perhaps, but Robert almost deified her in his mind, with all the attributes of perfection he projected upon her. The Lyanna Robert loved was a myth, a fictional construct. The real Lyanna, could never ever have lived up to those expectations.

Im not sure if they ever had a conversation together, or if Robert really knew the first thing about her as a person.

In northern Westeros, born and raised
In the Vale is where I spent most of my days
Training and jousting, looking real cool
And sparring with Robert in some practice duels
When a couple of Targs who were up to no good
Starting taking people from my neighborhood
I got in one little war, the realm went to hell
And so I went back north to be Lord of Winterfell .

But would Robert execute Lyanna? And, assuming R+L=J, would Robert not listen to her begging for her own son's life? This is Lyanna, the woman he unconditionally loved until his death. Let us also assume that Lyanna wouldn't neccessarily push for Jon being heir to the throne, considering Robert had already conquered it.

Jon is potentially a claimant, and he is "dragonspawn". Robert would want him dead, whether he was the offspring of rape, or a consensual union.

If Robert thought that Lyanna had consensually eloped with Rhaegar he'd have killed her in fury. But, in any case, if you kill the child, it's safest to kill the mother too.

She'd have had to accept to marry Robert to maintain that charade. But then that means no Cersei on the throne. She and Jaime can keep banging to little threat to the kingdom. There is the chance that the Robert, while not becoming a different man, at least does not let himself deteriorate into an alcoholic (he clearly wasn't in his elite fighter days) which means he is less of an hindrance to Jon Arryn (He seemed to have listened to him more in his sober days).

Aside from Lyanna not getting her dream marriage, it is just about possible that things turn out better.

"Please, dear Robert, tell me how you bashed Rhaegar's chest in while I give you a thank-you blowjob. I love the part where blood and rubies spatter everywhere."

This and similar stuff would be what Lyanna would have to keep up for the rest of her life.

Fifteen years later, after experiencing Cersei. Lyanna was the one that got away.

At the time, Robert banged an entire brothel believing Rhaegar to rape Lyanna at the same time.

Archived