Does Stannis have doubt?

Ser Not Appearing

It depends on what topic the Stannis fans are defending him on.

If it's "he's a religious fanatic," then Stannis is the biggest atheist in the world and can in no way be held responsible for what Melisandre does.

If it's "he was going to murder a child," then Stannis was doing it for the greater good of the world because Melisandre says so.

Yes.

During the whole "Should we sacrifice Edric Storm" debate some of the things he says like "She swears that if I don;t the world is fucked can I risk it no I can't" and "Swear it is true Mel or I will make what Ramsay did to Theon look like a jolly lark compared to what I'll do to you" which I don't think he'd say if he didn't have some doubts.

Isn't there a distinction between his belief in God(s) and his belief that he is truly powerful/special in some meaningful way based on the claims of someone (Mel) he's seen do some powerful (magical) stuff?

That is to say: Even if he doesn't necessarily believe in the specific claimed nature of Rh'llor, the power he's witnessed is real and it's pointing at him. Is that enough to believe it?

Is he just putting in the Azor Ahai hat to further his claims to the throne... or might he have bought in?

(... which could affect his decision making and self preservation)

In ACOK, no. He makes it clear he has no time for gods and is only using Melisandre for what she offers him

In ASOS, he's wrestling with it. He's convinced by the vision Melisandre shows him that the great battle is real, but is not entirely convinced of everything Melisandre claims, e.g that he's Azor Ahai, and that her powers are as significant as she claims. In the beginning he questions why R'hllor would choose him over his more popular brothers, and how he's expected to save anything in his position (no ships, no gold, no men), and he bluntly refuses to sacrifice Edric. As the novel goes on (and as Melisandre's claims are increasingly proven) he starts to speculate on what burning Edric would mean (i.e he's considering it in his head), starts to point out the consequences if he dares to disregard everything she's saying, and finally, after threatening Melisandre with a slow death should she be deceiving him, seems to accept. But by then Davos has smuggled Edric away and then he gets told about the wildlings.

In ADWD, yes. He is seemingly no longer wrestling with whether or not all this stuff is true and just rolling with it.

If it's "he's a religious fanatic," then Stannis is the biggest atheist in the world and can in no way be held responsible for what Melisandre does.

If it's "he was going to murder a child," then Stannis was doing it for the greater good of the world because Melisandre says so.

Por qué no los dos?

It's quite clear that the fate of the world factored into his thinking during ASOS. It's also quite clear that he isn't a religious fanatic and almost never compromises his own codes for R'hllor (other than the Edric sacrifice, which took almost an entire novel for him to give the 'okay' on).

*Stannis is crowned King*

"My Lord?"

"Yes, Melisandre?"

"I think... after carefully checking my fires again, that you're not actually AA. And... I think the fact that I don't eat gave me visions... there is no R'hllor..."

"Well... don't care".

And as Stannis sat on the Iron Throne, many witnesses were later heard saying that was the first time Stannis Baratheon smiled.

If we read the last couple of Asha chapters in aDwD I think we can see how Stannis is getting more desperate and is trying to reach out to R'hllor/Mel

There's that part with him gazing at the beacon for hours on end, and a more subtle bit when he just fixates on a candle flame as his captains talk around him

Yes, he has doubts. It is one of the reasons like Stannis in the books, and don't in the show, is that in the books he has doubts. He isn't convinced of R'hollor, and he is trying with all his might to do the right thing. This is especially true in aSoS. He has doubts, but he is trying to manage and control them. He also only shows them with trusted advisors, like Davos and Mel. Stannis' doubts are one of the biggest reasons I like him.

He may not believe that R'hollor is the only true god, but he certainly sees that Melisandre has a power from her beliefs, making it seem much more real than any other god. Of course Stannis somewhat believes in R'Hollor and the mythlore, he's seen things that cant be explained, but he also clearly is focused on the Iron Throne more than being Azor Ahai.

Isn't there a distinction between his belief in God(s) and his belief that he is truly powerful/special in some meaningful way based on the claims of someone (Mel) he's seen do some powerful (magical) stuff?

That is to say: Even if he doesn't necessarily believe in the specific claimed nature of Rh'llor, the power he's witnessed is real and it's pointing at him. Is that enough to believe it?

Is he just putting in the Azor Ahai hat to further his claims to the throne... or might he have bought in?

(... which could affect his decision making and self preservation)

THIS

I thought Mel's thoughts on Stannis being her champion (not R'hllor's) spoke volumes. He may have some token faith in her, but none for R'hllor.

And it seems that the further away from her he is, the more he doubts her. I'm just in the middle of a re-read of aDwD right now, so I'll have a better take on his 'doubts' later on.

Archived