second wall

Ser Taeser Celtigar

As the Wall was based on Hadrian's Wall, do you think the end of the last book will have a second wall being built? (Like the Antonine Wall)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antonine_Wall

If so, where?

I think for the series, it would have to be in the Neck, either at Moat Cailin but probably just north of the Twins.

I think the southerners would build it because the northerners couldn't stop the Others at the Wall.

Ironically, the northerners would like it because it would keep the pesky southerners at bay.

My thoughts are that a second wall wouldn't be built, but let's have fun and say it will.

Where and why?

EDIT, making the link clickable, dammit!

As the Wall was based on Hadrian's Wall, do you think the end of the last book will have a second wall being built? (Like the Antonine Wall)

http://en.wikipedia.org/Wiki/Antonine_Wall

If so, where?

I think for the series, it would have to be in the Neck, either at Moat Cailin but probably just north of the Twins.

I think the southerners would build it because the northerners couldn't stop the Others at the Wall.

Ironically, the northerners would like it because it would keep the pesky southerners at bay.

My thoughts are that a second wall wouldn't be built, but let's have fun and say it will.

Where and why?

EDIT, making the link clickable, dammit!

1. I doubt it. The Wall needs to come down either way because by the end of this war there would be no need of it, and if the Others managed to pass one, they would not stop for anything newer, with far less to no magic involved, and with nearly no time to build.

2. For some reason you have a capitalized W in your link that should not be capitalized .

http://en.wikipedia.org/Wiki/Antonine_Wall

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antonine_Wall

According to the world book, mad king aerys wanted to build a new wall north of the existing one and claim the lands in between. I think making the wildings "bend the knee" was a reason, or I could be mistaking aerys and bravvos

Edit: fixed spelling error

This. It was one of Aerys' schemes he hatched early in his reign, in a fit of ambition, only to lose interest shortly thereafter. When reading that in TWoIaF, I immediately saw it as an obvious shout out to the Antonine Wall.

There is the theory that there already is a second wall. It's quite crackpot though as it seems to be based solely on one word in the vows: "I am the watcher on the walls".

Not that cracked. I think it may reference an old time on The Wall where, while it was continuous, it was not at the same height. So there nay have been many distinct sections. Somewhat separate from one another.

Jon even says how it is a serpent in the west and a sword in the east. So right there we have two very different parts of one, now, whole.

But I completely can't get with the OP. WTF would we see a second Wall built. I have no idea what the end is gonna look like. But I am quite sure once all is said and done, the wall won't be necessary any longer.

Small crackpot: The Wall is the second wall. The first one is long gone, its only remains being Moat Cailin.

I'm also fond of the theory of a second (third?) wall being manned by Others, located beyond the Frostfangs. Its purpose would be to guard the Lands of Always winter from "Wildling" Others, who have rejected the Others society and are currently messing around in the Haunted forest, making trouble for the Free Folk and the Night's Watch. The watchers on the second Wall would also have stories and legends about Men, and their fiery weapons of doom, but the areas they allegedly reside in are considered too far south for the Others to bother, and they are largely considered a legend.

I see no cause for a new wall.

The current wall has one main purpose (to keep out the Others) and a secondary purpose (to mark the boundary of the Seven Kingdoms and protect the North from wildling attack).

We've already seen the Wildlings being allowed this side of the Wall. There seems to be little threat of Wildling attack going forwards.

If (and I assume it will be so) the Others are destroyed as a key part of the ending of this series, then the last remaining purpose of the Wall will be gone. In which case, what purpose for a new Wall?

Small crackpot: The Wall is the second wall. The first one is long gone, its only remains being Moat Cailin.

I'm also fond of the theory of a second (third?) wall being manned by Others, located beyond the Frostfangs. Its purpose would be to guard the Lands of Always winter from "Wildling" Others, who have rejected the Others society and are currently messing around in the Haunted forest, making trouble for the Free Folk and the Night's Watch. The watchers on the second Wall would also have stories and legends about Men, and their fiery weapons of doom, but the areas they allegedly reside in are considered too far south for the Others to bother, and they are largely considered a legend.

You have NO idea how much I'd like this to be true lol.

Archived