NBA Offseason 2015: You can't spell Dynasty without some of the letters in Aldridge

Maithanet

Yeah Nene seems to be aging in dog years. At least next year is his last on the books. I do think Gortat has another year or two of peak productivity as a small ball 5 (God, let us hope Wittman has figured out this is where the game has gone). It's vital he doesn't decline rapidly because he's on the books for 3 more years. Still not sure what happened to him in the Atlanta series...

But you go small ball, you only need 1 of those guys on the court at a time. Heck, maybe Seraphin can fill that role. Or you can find someone in free agency/draft. You really need one guy who can rim protect and make 15 footers. But at least having a weakness in that area isn't the death sentence it used to be if you're smart about it*.

*Corollary - The WIzards are rarely smart about it.

I assume that Nene is gone after this year, so not relevant to the Durant discussion. I agree that a lineup of Wall, Beal, Porter/Humphries, Gortat/Seraphin and Durant is potentially very good. Teams have won championships with worse starting lineups. But there is that Wittman problem, and Gortat would be a complete disaster against a team like GSW (whether Bogut is on the floor or not).

can someone explain the whole 'best player on the best team' wins regular season MVP, and best player on the winning team wins finals MVP? it seems completely ridiculous to everyone in europe.

The regular season MVP does not necessarily go to the best player on the best team. It's just if you have a close race between 2 or more guys like there was this year between Curry and Harden (mainly) the tie breaker in many voters minds is that Curry played on a 67 win Warriors team. But there's just about always the requirement that the MVP plays on a good team.

But I get what you're getting at and I agree. We have so much ability now to separate an individual player's performance from his team's. Just give it to the best, most dominant player and don't punish him because his teammates suck.

The regular season MVP does not necessarily go to the best player on the best team. It's just if you have a close race between 2 or more guys like there was this year between Curry and Harden (mainly) the tie breaker in many voters minds is that Curry played on a 67 win Warriors team. But there's just about always the requirement that the MVP plays on a good team.

But I get what you're getting at and I agree. We have so much ability now to separate an individual player's performance from his team's. Just give it to the best, most dominant player and don't punish him because his teammates suck.

I do think though, in response to BFC question, that Curry was voted as best not just because he was the best player on the best team, but that it was legitimately a battle between him, Harden and LeBron as to who's been best. And given the season he's had, making him MVP Is a decision you can defend I think. Even though overall LeBron is quite obviously still the best, and if the award had gone to him, that would have been equally fair.

For Finals MVP it looks odd because Iguodala is a role player, even though a very good one. Even last year with Leonard you could say "well he is their new star and did a super job against LeBron". But if you're not giving it to clearly the best player because his team lost, then Iguodala is an ok choice. Curry had too many games where he was not top.

The Clippers are rebranding.

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/13104164/steve-ballmer-los-angeles-clippers-owner-unveils-new-team-logo-late-night-show

Not a huge fan, no where near as cool as what the Bucks recently did.

In other news Warriors will be looking to move David Lee, according to sources. Makes sense.

The NBA Finals had the highest rating since the Jordan Era. 20 million viewers per game.

Can only imagine what they would have been if Irving and Love played and the full star potential of these two teams was on display instead of 40 minutes of Delladova flailing around and the JR Smith brick-a-thon.

The NBA Finals had the highest rating since the Jordan Era. 20 million viewers per game.

Can only imagine what they would have been if Irving and Love played and the full star potential of these two teams was on display instead of 40 minutes of Delladova flailing around and the JR Smith brick-a-thon.

I am not sure the LeBron vs The World story line wasn't part of the success to be honest.

And in news no one else cares about the Nuggets hired a coach. And reportable are trying to swing Ty Lawson for a lower lottery pick. Good luck with that.

I am not sure the LeBron vs The World story line wasn't part of the success to be honest.

And in news no one else cares about the Nuggets hired a coach. And reportable are trying to swing Ty Lawson for a lower lottery pick. Good luck with that.

Point guard is the deepest position in the NBA, is Lawson even an above average starter? According to ESPN he is ranked at 15th of 30. Considering a lot of the guys behind him are young and getting better, I don't know how you can spin that into much trade bait.

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/13104164/steve-ballmer-los-angeles-clippers-owner-unveils-new-team-logo-late-night-show

They also picked up Lance Stephenson for Matt Barnes and some pocket lint.

Do you listen to the morning show on The Fan? I do every now and then because I'm a masochist. Had to listen to Mike Evans bitch about how much the Finals sucked and how the NBA has been ruined with its rule changes. Best ratings since Jordan motherfucker.

I'm amused by how incestuous the Kings and Nuggets are. Old Kings coach is now the Nuggets coach. Old Nuggets coach is now the Kings coach. Nuggets hired the old Kings GM the guy who didn't get along with the old Kings coach as part of their front office. Sounds savvy. And now the two teams are talking trade. Lawson for the #6 pick in the draft. Or I think I heard Lawson for Darren Collison + Ben McLemore? Not really sure what the Nuggets are trying to build here. Thought the failed Brian Shaw era would mean re-embracing up-tempo basketball at altitude to fit the roster they have. The kind that worked with George Karl (and Doug Moe). Mike Malone suggests more plodding, defensive oriented basketball.

They also picked up Lance Stephenson for Matt Barnes and some pocket lint.

Stephenson is a big talent, and perhaps an even bigger head case. I don't know if LA is a good landing place for him, not to mention a locker room that has some issues(DeAndre and CP3).

All and all, certainly worth a shot.

As far as Maithe's concerns in the OP about the Warriors keeping their young core, I' am not to worried. The Dubs have indicated they are willing to absorb the luxury tax in order to retain Draymond Green, who is a restricted free agent. Further, the NBA salary cap is supposed to take a rather large jump after next season. That, along with being rid of David Lee's huge contract at the end of next season, should allow more than enough space for them to re-sign Harrison Barnes who will be an FA next year.

Stephenson is a big talent, and perhaps an even bigger head case. I don't know if LA is a good landing place for him, not to mention a locker room that has some issues(DeAndre and CP3).

All and all, certainly worth a shot.

As far as Maithe's concerns in the OP about the Warriors keeping their young core, I' am not to worried. The Dubs have indicated they are willing to absorb the luxury tax in order to retain Draymond Green, who is a restricted free agent. Further, the NBA salary cap is supposed to take a rather large jump after next season. That, along with being rid of David Lee's huge contract at the end of next season, should allow more than enough space for them to re-sign Harrison Barnes who will be an FA next year.

I suppose, but it seems to me that a large number of their bench just showcased their worth in this playoffs. It looks like they have Livingston looked up for awhile, but I'm not sure about the rest of the bench.

In other news Warriors will be looking to move David Lee, according to sources. Makes sense.

The thing that stood out the most to me in that article was the picture of the sign that said "Last day of school 6/19."

:stunned:

Those poor kids! We've been out three weeks already! And we had 12 snow days to make up!!!!

Do you listen to the morning show on The Fan? I do every now and then because I'm a masochist. Had to listen to Mike Evans bitch about how much the Finals sucked and how the NBA has been ruined with its rule changes. Best ratings since Jordan motherfucker.

I'm amused by how incestuous the Kings and Nuggets are. Old Kings coach is now the Nuggets coach. Old Nuggets coach is now the Kings coach. Nuggets hired the old Kings GM the guy who didn't get along with the old Kings coach as part of their front office. Sounds savvy. And now the two teams are talking trade. Lawson for the #6 pick in the draft. Or I think I heard Lawson for Darren Collison + Ben McLemore? Not really sure what the Nuggets are trying to build here. Thought the failed Brian Shaw era would mean re-embracing up-tempo basketball at altitude to fit the roster they have. The kind that worked with George Karl (and Doug Moe). Mike Malone suggests more plodding, defensive oriented basketball.

I listen to it at times. It is punishment at times.

As to what the Nuggets are building? Don't know, but they have to stop thinking fan favorite is the same as good or it will be a long decade.

That, along with being rid of David Lee's huge contract at the end of next season, should allow more than enough space for them to re-sign Harrison Barnes who will be an FA next year.

Lee won;t be on the team come next season.

Lee won;t be on the team come next season.

No, he won't. His agent and team are looking to move him to a place of his liking. Also, Lance Stephenson might be a head case, but I think the Clips will be a better fit and IMO he's an upgrade over Barnes. The key here is Doc Rivers and the fact that Stephenson isn't a #1 option. I think with a strong coach and veteran atmosphere, this might just be a great fit for both team and player.

The other cool thing about the Warriors title is finally someone new has won it. In the last 30 years, only 8 teams have won it all (Celtics, Lakers, Pistons, Bulls, Rockets, Spurs, Heat, Mavericks). This is the cruelest league to the have nots. Almost everyone has gotten close but if there is even one team better than you, you're almost never winning the title. It's not like football where luck and Any Given Sunday plays a much bigger role. It's not baseball or hockey where a hot pitcher or goalie can carry you over better teams. The NBA is more ruthlessly meritocratic than any sport.

And if you're not one of those blue chip NBA cities it's that much harder. Orlando had two #1 picks in a row in two insanely top heavy drafts and never got a title. OKC drafted 3 MVP type players in consecutive drafts and may never win a title. Minnesota has the last 3 #1 picks and who knows if they'll ever become even an elite contender. You need to be brilliant and lucky just to have a chance. And even possessing both it still might never work out Just look at those brilliant Phoenix and Sacramento teams who never got over the hump.

The Warriors basically had zero margin of error to build a title team...and amazingly they successfully walked that gauntlet over the last 3-4 years. Infact they've been so adept you wonder if they can become the next Spurs.

Infact they've been so adept you wonder if they can become the next Spurs.

One can hope. It sure seems like they've got a shot. They have all the pieces in place. Great ownership, great front office, an adept coaching staff, and young players.Only time will tell, but things are looking up for basketball in the Bay.

Archived