Why does GRRM hate on Harry Potter?

Nails77

[quote name='Nails77' post='1585924' date='Nov 12 2008, 15.56']I just checked out GRRM's Not a Blog and today it mentioned something about forgiving Obama for being a HP fan (b/c he's also a Spiderman comics fan). I did a quick search on this board for anything mentioning his disdain for HP, but didn't find anything. Can someone here enlighten me on why he looks down on the HP books?[/quote]

Because they aren't all that good?

[quote name='Gerold Hightower' post='1587600' date='Nov 13 2008, 09.25']The question is if she regards herself as a Fantasy author. A prestigious award [i]within[/i] the genre doesn't necessarily mean much to mainstream authors.[/quote]She said something along the lines of, 'I didn't realise at the time that I was writing a fantasy story'. Pratchett wrote to the [i]Times[/i] taking the piss out of her, and saying were the wizards, spells, and imaginary creatures not a bit of a clue that it was a fantasy.

[quote name='Isis' post='1589200' date='Nov 14 2008, 18.56']and saying were the wizards, spells, and imaginary creatures not a bit of a clue that it was a fantasy.[/quote]

well, I don't know, but I've read books that had wizards, (black) witches, spells and creatures of all kind and they were labelled, um, Horror. Is HP really Fantasy?

[quote name='Argon' post='1589263' date='Nov 14 2008, 18.40']well, I don't know, but I've read books that had wizards, (black) witches, spells and creatures of all kind and they were labelled, um, Horror. Is HP really Fantasy?[/quote]

Yes. Unequivocably.

[quote name='Cobblestones' post='1589253' date='Nov 14 2008, 19.29']I did, too, and while it was entertaining it had a somewhat YA feel to it, a guilty pleasure.[/quote]I suddenly realise why kcf made this rant about "YA" being used as a derogatory term back them. This is near to pissing me off by the sheer pretension it exudes. Something entertaining, purposefully aiming to be just that, is not "YA" nor something one should feel ashamed of reading to the point of using the word "guilty" in conjunction to admitting liking it. Something less entertaining than high-brow, dealing with important themes, style or whatever is not intrinsically better either.

Screw that, [i]watership down[/i] alone blows out of the water all that "YA is guilty pleasure" crap.

I don't think Harry Potter suck I just think it a big F you when you beat two great novels (Calculating God would be the other that lost out) and can't even sent some one to pick up a very prestious award (ie I bet Martin would have gone had Ice Dragon been up for a Newbery Medal) yet no one gave a damn

Sticking up for the man it says read and has two young girls

Regarding Rowling and HP:

How can she not know her own series is undeniably fantasy? I find the idea of her not being present to accept the Hugo because she thinks she's no fantasy writer a bit suss. I mean what, there's no elves so it ain't fantasy?

[quote name='Skyrazer' post='1589868' date='Nov 14 2008, 23.13']Regarding Rowling and HP:

How can she not know her own series is undeniably fantasy? I find the idea of her not being present to accept the Hugo because she thinks she's no fantasy writer a bit suss. I mean what, there's no elves so it ain't fantasy?[/quote]
But there are elves in it

[quote name='serdog' post='1589872' date='Nov 15 2008, 18.26']But there are elves in it[/quote]
Ok I admit I have only watched the first couple of movies and have in fact read none of the books (lol). But still, what excuse would Rowling have for believing HP is not fantasy?

[quote name='Skyrazer' post='1589873' date='Nov 14 2008, 23.30']Ok I admit I have only watched the first couple of movies and have in fact read none of the books (lol). But still, what excuse would Rowling have for believing HP is not fantasy?[/quote]
same maybe as Mr.Goodkind she too good to write fantasy her books are about greater human theams. + she intends to write outside Fantasy and GRRM did state it hard to write something your to classed as.

[quote name='Skyrazer' post='1589868' date='Nov 15 2008, 01.13']How can she not know her own series is undeniably fantasy? I find the idea of her not being present to accept the Hugo because she thinks she's no fantasy writer a bit suss. I mean what, there's no elves so it ain't fantasy?[/quote]

Sigh. Go read the original article:

[url="http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1083935-1,00.html"]http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/...83935-1,00.html[/url]

A propos of Pratchett, he has a very interesting speech in which he elaborates on the nature of fantasy.

[url="http://www.carnegiegreenaway.org.uk/pressdesk/press.php?release=pres_terspeach.htm"]Carnegie Medal speech[/url]

[quote]The Amazing Maurice is a fantasy book. Of course, everyone knows that fantasy is 'all about' wizards, but by now, I hope, everyone with any intelligence knows that, er, what everyone knows...is wrong.

Fantasy is more than wizards. For instance, this book is about rats that are intelligent. But it also about the even more fantastic idea that humans are capable of intelligence as well. Far more beguiling than the idea that evil can be destroyed by throwing a piece of expensive jewellery into a volcano is the possibility that evil can be defused by talking. The fantasy of justice is more interesting that the fantasy of fairies, and more truly fantastic. In the book the rats go to war, which is, I hope, gripping. But then they make peace, which is astonishing.

In any case, genre is just a flavouring. It's not the whole meal. Don't get confused by the scenery.

A novel set in Tombstone, Arizona, on October 26, 1881 is what– a Western? The scenery says so, the clothes say so, but the story does not automatically become a Western. Why let a few cactuses tell you what to think? It might be a counterfactual, or a historical novel, or a searing literary indictment of something or other, or a horror novel, or even, perhaps, a romance – although the young lovers would have to speak up a bit and possibly even hide under the table, because the gunfight at the OK corral was going on at the time.

We categorize too much on the basis of unreliable assumption. A literary novel written by Brian Aldiss must be science fiction, because he is a known science fiction writer; a science fiction novel by Margaret Attwood is literature because she is a literary novelist. Recent Discworld books have spun on such concerns as the nature of belief, politics and even of journalistic freedom, but put in one lousy dragon and they call you a fantasy writer.[/quote]

[quote name='Mister Manticore' post='1590030' date='Nov 15 2008, 10.53']Sigh. Go read the original article:

[url="http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1083935-1,00.html"]http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/...83935-1,00.html[/url][/quote]

Oh man, that article is just as awful as I remember. Whenever they discuss a fantasy book they like, Time magazine gets way too hyperbolic- the same thing applies to their article on Martin. As for Rowling's comments... I'm just happy Pratchett ridiculed them.

[quote name='Brahm_K' post='1590075' date='Nov 15 2008, 11.22']Oh man, that article is just as awful as I remember. Whenever they discuss a fantasy book they like, Time magazine gets way too hyperbolic- the same thing applies to their article on Martin.[/quote]

What? Time? Really? I'm shocked and amazed!

[quote]As for Rowling's comments... I'm just happy Pratchett ridiculed them.[/quote]

I'm not. They seemed mean-spirited and hurtful. I'd have been much happier had he never made them. I don't enjoy people making an ass out of themselves, and that's all he did.

[quote]I'm not. They seemed mean-spirited and hurtful. I'd have been much happier had he never made them. I don't enjoy people making an ass out of themselves, and that's all he did.[/quote]

No, it was all *she* did, by belittling a genre she obviously didn't know well at all. She deserved that comment.

Archived