Worst book covers

wolverine

I considered buying this yesterday, as I have bought every one of Scholes' books on release, but that cover has put me off it. It was worth it for the other two books, that they looked good was some justification for putting down the money for a hardcover. This one... I think I am going to wait for the paperback. Otherwise, if I buy the hardcover, I am just going to rip off the dust jacket and throw it away and it wouldn't fit in with the other two anyway.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that felt that way :thumbsup:

That

is

fucking

hilarious!

Double Penatrator

:lmao:

This is generally true. However, with ASOIAF I much prefer the American covers--as I was living in the UK when I first read them I had to read this copy of ASOS. Bleeeeeh.

Our covers now look like this, which was quite smart when it first came out, but has now been imitated to the limits of tolerance and seen perfectly good covers on other series (Robin Hobb's for example, and Feist's) replaced with similar attempts for no reason other than to try to cash in. Which I suppose is the usual reason for a re-cover, but missed the point that the GRRM covers worked because they were unusual at the time.

Our covers now look like this, which was quite smart when it first came out, but has now been imitated to the limits of tolerance and seen perfectly good covers on other series (Robin Hobb's for example, and Feist's) replaced with similar attempts for no reason other than to try to cash in. Which I suppose is the usual reason for a re-cover, but missed the point that the GRRM covers worked because they were unusual at the time.

That is definitely my favorite GoT cover. I'll have to check out the rest for the series.

This cover must be the lowest of the low.

No, actually, that's probably the best cover I've ever seen for any book, ever. I seriously want to read it, just to find out what the fuck is happening here.

I actually remember this Lone Wolf book! You have to go to these ice caverns and confront Vonotar the Traitor. Here's the American version of the cover.

I believe the folks on this cover are from the indigenous tribe in Kalte, who try to kill you. There was a frontispiece of them in the books. They ski around with their children on their backs, who shoot poison arrows at you.

No, I'm not joking.

I actually remember this Lone Wolf book! You have to go to these ice caverns and confront Vonotar the Traitor. Here's the American version of the cover.

I believe the folks on this cover are from the indigenous tribe in Kalte, who try to kill you. There was a frontispiece of them in the books. They ski around with their children on their backs, who shoot poison arrows at you.

No, I'm not joking.

Ok, that is fucking epic awesome. The family unit is like a roving weapons platform? With poison arrows no less. Sign me fucking UP!

I actually remember this Lone Wolf book!

I have an original Gary Chalk drawing of a dwarf lying around somewhere, which I bought at a con, after talking to him and actually collaborating on a WIP drawing (I drew some scales on a dragon).

Don’t dis Gary Chalk.

I have an original Gary Chalk drawing of a dwarf lying around somewhere, which I bought at a con, after talking to him and actually collaborating on a WIP drawing (I drew some scales on a dragon).

Don’t dis Gary Chalk.

I always remember enjoying his artwork on the Lonewolf series when I was a child. Some of the drawings could be rather chilling, but they all had a very cool style.

Good book, bad cover...(but accurate).

Accurate in the sense that it tells the story of the fight to reclaim cleavage-inducing bras for women on fantasy book covers? It's quite refreshing to see a bra-less or relatively flat-chested woman. Hmm. Or maybe it's a man? *squints* Has quite broad shoulders. *unsure*

I thought I'd found one of the worst UK covers ever (sad life for a guy with arms this short) when I came across a book on amazon, but closer inspection reveals it is a self-published book so it explains the awfulness of the cover. I'm sure there are a lot worse than that on self-published books.

Soph, yes, it's a woman. She's an alien, from a race of slender humanoids, which is why she looks strange. You won't know it looking from the cover, but supposedly these alien women have six breasts beating out that chick from Total Recall. And if I recall correctly, the aliens can also consciously alter their physical appearance somewhat and in the book the character does it to appear more human. I swear there's a valid reason for it!

I've seen covers of some self-published books on Goodreads and some of them of truly horrid. Like a child playing around with Microsoft Paint or something.

I don't think any picture of a chimp holding a gun could be truly "bad."

Exactly. I mean, chimps with guns practically run wild around here.

Archived