Natalie Dormer Now a Tyrell Rose

Westeros

It should be pointed out, the large amount of speculation, built on speculation, going on in this thread and being complained about...

Dormer is much older than book Margaery, yes, but she can and does look young, and beside the "old maiden" reason, is there a plot-restrictive reason for her not to be Loras's older sister on the show?

Just a thought.

Plot restrictive reason? How would they justify marrying Joffrey to such an old maid?

What they needed was another child actress around Sansa's actress's age, not a grown woman who's older than half the cast.

Plot restrictive reason? How would they justify marrying Joffrey to such an old maid?

What they needed was another child actress around Sansa's actress's age, not a grown woman who's older than half the cast.

I think they can justify it the same way in the book,

the marriage binds the Tyrells to the Lannisters, Margaery being a few years older wouldn't be enough to stop Tyrion and the council from going after that alliance.

She's not an old maid, she could easily pull off early twenties. I'd much rather they age the character up a few years than just cast a teenage actress who probably wouldn't be as good. Her age won't affect the plot at all, nobody complains that Peter Dinklage is older than the actors playing Cersei and Jaime when he should be years younger.

While Dormer is no old maid at 29, I am sure her character would be aged down to early twenties and Joff in the show is, what, 15? Maybe 16 by the beginning of season three? A marriage about with a 5-7 year age difference is not even that odd today, let alone in a medieval setting (granted it is usually the older male and younger woman). But first let us not forget that Margaery first marries Renly and so whether she is an 'old maid' or not she is fairly tainted already by the time she comes to Joffrey and especially Tommen, which creates a controversy in AFfC.

My complaint with her casting has to do with her age, but not because of her "looking" old, just for the reason that I liked the idea of this kid taking on Cersei and being able to play the game. Aging her up will create a different dynamic which might work I dunno. Just wish they would have given a younger unknown a chance to shine. Also I just wanna say I think Dormer is beautiful, she has a different look to her yeah, but it doesn't mean she's not pretty. I know everyone is entitled to their opinion and personal preferences are personal preferences, but you shouldn't badmouth the woman. She's not looks wise how I pictured Marge. Weirdly, Emilia Clarke's facial features are more like how I thought she'd look.

One of the most exciting things about casting news is the inevitable obtuse complaints that arise. They are all so wonderfully comical.

I'm surprised people didn't complain about the lady cast as Old Nan not fitting the bill, because in the book you got the impression that she was supposed to be a total babe.

all I can say is BAHAHAHA!!!

Well, I guess my Ellen Page expectations were a bit too much.

you know, I think my mental image of Margaery was Ellen Page... though she's Canadian and while still being very associated with the Brits and having their Queen visit us a lot, she's not quite 'british enough'

Dormer has features that I would describe is 'striking' and the shape of her nose is more 'cute' which makes her look younger so I think she can pull off late teens.

Also, speaking as a girl here (though NOT representing the female population as a whole) I think the guy playing Loras is quite attractive, sure I think he should have beefed up some for the role (especially since he had the shirtless scene) but he does look like the type to have had a lot of secret crushes in highschool.

The first thing that came to mind when I saw this thread was; "But we have already seen Natalie Dormer's boobs."

I loved her in The Tudor's. She just seems a bit too, I hate to say old, but...alongside Sophie Turner, yes old.

Hmmm I have seen her on the Tudors a bit, and I'd say she is a decent actress for sure. That being said, I really dislike this choice x.x my tune may change when I actually see her performance but it just feels wrong to me. Dormer is 29 and while I know that Sean Bean in almost 20 years older than his book counterpart, his character had an older, wiser, feel to him IMO. I think she looks quite young for 29 and I know they have aged up all the characters in general, but there is no way she can pass for a teenager. From my reading of the series Marge seemed mature for her age emotionally, but her youth was a big part of her character. Here's this 16 year old girl going head to head with Cersei and the Lannisters. A slyer/more confident version of Sansa in a way. That's what I liked about her, she's another child playing the GOT. I think having her a full grown woman kind of takes away from her character in a sense.

Completely agree. The combination of her youth and shrewdness is what makes the character so interesting. And she looks mid-thirties. There's no way in hell she can pass for her early twenties, even. And what the hell is it going to look like when she stands next to Joffrey? It's just such awkward casting all around. And I was hoping that she would bear a resemblance to the actor who plays Ser Loras. I'm so disappointed.

These threads never cease to amaze me. How can anyone think this actress is pretty? Goddamn she looks ugly as hell. And old as dirt. Christ, she should be playing her grandmother.

Goddamnit. I'm fiercely loyal to this site, but if there's anywhere else I can discuss the series without out this ridiculous nerdrage crap, someone pleas PM me about it.

I have nothing against the actress whatsoever but I think this is questionable casting.

As I mentioned on twitter, he is 29 playing a 16 year-old, which is no major issue but when you consider her future interactions with Joffrey and Tommen, it just seems strange and I can't see how they are going to pull it off. An earlier post here mentioned that she id effectively a more cunning, smarter version of Sansa and I agree.

An 18-21 year-old actress would have seemed more appropriate however, as the series has been such a success so far, I shall reserve judgement.

If they do expande her role however, they must surely be faced with leaving a fair bit of CoK out, given how much they have to fit into 10 episodes.

She will not be playing a 16-year-old - people are older in the series. More like 18 or 19.

Margaery is in both the books and the show approximately about the same age as the likes of Robb, Jon, Dany and Sam. All of these are played by actors in their early twenties and in some cases fresh out of drama school.

Don't get me wrong I imagine Natalie Dormer will do a strong performance as Margeary, but she is a lot more mature than how I imagined the character. Margaery in the books is plausibly the senior prom queen that Sansa looks up to from a few grades below, whilst her other principle relationship in the books with Cersai is that of the much younger woman who Cersai develops rather something of a 'Snow White' complex about(incidentally Margeary is actually half Cersai's age in AFFC).

Like others have said I will reserve truly judging this casting choice when I see it on screen, that said I believe one of the first places to consider finding a potential Margaery were actresses who say auditioned to play Daenerys but just lost out to Emilia Clarke.

I thought Margaery was just supposed to be pretty. Good looking enough but not in Cersei's/Dany's league.

I wonder about this, I always had the impression Margaery was supposed to be the prettiest lady in the books but other people seem to have a different idea the reasons I thought Margaery was supposed to be the prettiest:

1. She is said to look a lot like his brother Loras who everybody seems to think is the most beautiful men in westeros.

2. Sansa seems to consider Margaery preetier than her.

3. Her popularity with the smallfolk which is obviously a direct parallel with Marie Antoinatte who was initially loved by her subjects just for being so pretty.

People seem to think Cersei is prettier because she looks at Margaery and does not think she is pretty enough to be the "more beautiful queen of the prophecy" but Cersei also considers herself to be a good a mother so is proven to not be self critical enough.

Hmmmm, not what I would have expected. I am interested to see how they adapted Margery to the series. I like Dormer and am ready to like her in the role, I just have to readjust a bit.

This will definitely mark a change in the character. Margaery is supposed to be of an age where she's still between kid and adult, much as Robb, Daenerys and Jon. It will definitely be creepier than the books down the road when she marries Tommen.

As to the prettiness issue, as in Westeros, different people here have differing opinions about her beauty. In the books, she is all but universally acclaimed pretty, but only some think her the prettiest of all. Ms. Dormer is clearly beautiful enough that SOME might believe she is the prettiest of all, and that is really all that matters.

These threads never cease to amaze me. How can anyone think this actress is pretty? Goddamn she looks ugly as hell. And old as dirt. Christ, she should be playing her grandmother.

Goddamnit. I'm fiercely loyal to this site, but if there's anywhere else I can discuss the series without out this ridiculous nerdrage crap, someone pleas PM me about it.

You are speaking to my soul. When I heard she was cast, I was super hyped. Then to come to this thread where everyone is bagging on her looks and saying she looks mid30s?? Just wow.

Saw this posted on another site. She really looks the part to me.

http://www.fohguild.org/forums/attachments/millies-tv-house/175124d1308942456-song-ice-fire-hbo-series-here-spoilerz-tumblr_ln9fl45ivc1qhgqofo1_500.jpg

While Dormer is no old maid at 29, I am sure her character would be aged down to early twenties and Joff in the show is, what, 15? Maybe 16 by the beginning of season three? A marriage about with a 5-7 year age difference is not even that odd today, let alone in a medieval setting (granted it is usually the older male and younger woman). But first let us not forget that Margaery first marries Renly and so whether she is an 'old maid' or not she is fairly tainted already by the time she comes to Joffrey and especially Tommen, which creates a controversy in AFfC.

Henry Plantagenet was 19 when he married the 31 year old Divorcee Eleanor of Aquitaine, who was the former Queen of France and the richest heiress in Western Europe. When political circumstances come into play in a Feudal society, everything else is secondary, at best.

As for this Natalie Dormer herself, I don't know, as I have never seen her in anything. We shall see.

Archived