Dany's visions in House of the Undying

brevrk

NOTE: I'm new here, so this theory may already be covered elsewhere. I tried to look but the search function seems to be broken. I actually found this place by looking for theories involving this. Anyway, here goes....

I'm curious about the rat faced men, perhaps a reference to Gregor Clegane's men?

I have a theory on the rat faced rapists actually...

Though (sadly) rape is often referenced throughout the series, the most pivotal occurrence is the kidnapping and rape of Lyanna Stark. So when the rat-faced rape vision occurs, my mind was taken back to the Lyanna incident. And it occurred to me that there were three men at the Tower of Joy when Eddard arrives to rescue Lyanna: Ser Arthur Dayne, Ser Oswell Whent, and Lord Commander Gerold Hightower. Meaning that, counting Rhaegar, Lyanna had 4 men imprisoning her at the Tower...

The fact that the story thus far hasnt shown us what happens between the fight at the Tower of Joy and Lyanna's dying request to Eddard has led many to believe that Lyanna may be Jon's Snow's mother, either with Ned as the father (which would explain the secrecy, since Ned wouldnt want this revealed), or Rhaegar (which would be another explanation, since Robert would likely have the child killed for being a Targaryen). But we also dont get Lyanna's account of the events, including her treatment at the Tower of Joy or what was left of her when Ned arrived.

The popular theory that Jon Snow is a Targaryen (with Lyanna as his mother and Rhaegar as his father) is an appealing one. It would make him a candidate for the Iron Throne, which would be a good way to wrap up the series (The bastard inherits the kingdom! Yay bastards!). However, Jon lacks the trademark silver hair. Even Dany's son has silver hair in the vision and he's half Dothroki. Plus, Jon clearly isnt fire proof (though admittedly, neither was Viserys).

My theory is that Martin going to let us think that Jon is also a Targaryen (maybe one of the "heads") for a while. But in the end, perhaps it turns out that her mother actually had 4 rapists instead of just Rhaegar, and that one of the other three men is Jon's father. Lyanna, not knowing for sure, asks Ned to pretend it's his. This would explain the black hair and the burned hand. Sorry Jon, still just a bastard.

Not to discount other theories out there. The "woman as metaphor for Westeros" theory is a good one (though Rob being portrayed as rat faced man biting and raping Westeros takes a bit of the nobility out of his actions). And, admittedly there are a few flaws in my theory.

For one, Arthur Dayne doesnt seem like the rapey type. However, he is clearly the kidnappy type since we know he had a hand in that (unless Lyanna went willingly, which is another theory) so he cant be all that noble. Plus, in the description only two of the rat faces are actually sexually assaulting the woman.

Also, Ned promises to tell Jon the truth about his mother one day, and if my theory is correct, that seems like a Maury "not the father" episode waiting to happen.

I thought the vision of a beautiful woman being tormented by tiny men symbolised Cersei and her desperate search for vengeance against Tyrion. Because of Cersei's paranoia, multiple fake Tyrions are killed but Tyrion continues to evade her. Each time a fake Tyrion is killed, Cersei feels she is being mocked, as if the real Tyrion can harm her from a distance. Her ruthless search for Tyrion does her no good, and is one of the things that contributes to her downfall.

NOTE: I'm new here, so this theory may already be covered elsewhere. I tried to look but the search function seems to be broken. I actually found this place by looking for theories involving this. Anyway, here goes....

Jon is NOT, and cannot be, a child by Ned. First and foremost, it would be absolutely out of character for Ned, second, it’s against the timeline: born within a month since the Sack minus 9 months gets us into the early months of the Rebellion, which lasted for about a year and Lyanna disappeared prior.

As for Jon’s supposed non-Targ features, you would do well to visit the reference guide on the first page of the pinned R+L thread where you can find links and detailed answers. Just briefly – Rhaegar’s daughter Rhaenys inherited Elia’s Dornish look, i.e. dark hair and eyes, and Targs are NOT fireproof. Dany not burning in the funeral pyre was a one-time, magical event.

Concerning Arthur Dayne: even though Ned can be very forgiving and understanding, I sure don’t see him labelling his sister’s rapist (or kidnapper, for that matter) as “the finest knight that ever lived”, and neither do I see him being sad if the guys who are preventing him from entering the tower are rapists.

I have a theory on the rat faced rapists actually...

Though (sadly) rape is often referenced throughout the series, the most pivotal occurrence is the kidnapping and rape of Lyanna Stark. So when the rat-faced rape vision occurs, my mind was taken back to the Lyanna incident. And it occurred to me that there were three men at the Tower of Joy when Eddard arrives to rescue Lyanna: Ser Arthur Dayne, Ser Oswell Whent, and Lord Commander Gerold Hightower. Meaning that, counting Rhaegar, Lyanna had 4 men imprisoning her at the Tower...

The fact that the story thus far hasnt shown us what happens between the fight at the Tower of Joy and Lyanna's dying request to Eddard has led many to believe that Lyanna may be Jon's Snow's mother, either with Ned as the father (which would explain the secrecy, since Ned wouldnt want this revealed), or Rhaegar (which would be another explanation, since Robert would likely have the child killed for being a Targaryen). But we also dont get Lyanna's account of the events, including her treatment at the Tower of Joy or what was left of her when Ned arrived.

The popular theory that Jon Snow is a Targaryen (with Lyanna as his mother and Rhaegar as his father) is an appealing one. It would make him a candidate for the Iron Throne, which would be a good way to wrap up the series (The bastard inherits the kingdom! Yay bastards!). However, Jon lacks the trademark silver hair. Even Dany's son has silver hair in the vision and he's half Dothroki. Plus, Jon clearly isnt fire proof (though admittedly, neither was Viserys).

My theory is that Martin going to let us think that Jon is also a Targaryen (maybe one of the "heads") for a while. But in the end, perhaps it turns out that her mother actually had 4 rapists instead of just Rhaegar, and that one of the other three men is Jon's father. Lyanna, not knowing for sure, asks Ned to pretend it's his. This would explain the black hair and the burned hand. Sorry Jon, still just a bastard.

Not to discount other theories out there. The "woman as metaphor for Westeros" theory is a good one (though Rob being portrayed as rat faced man biting and raping Westeros takes a bit of the nobility out of his actions). And, admittedly there are a few flaws in my theory.

For one, Arthur Dayne doesnt seem like the rapey type. However, he is clearly the kidnappy type since we know he had a hand in that (unless Lyanna went willingly, which is another theory) so he cant be all that noble. Plus, in the description only two of the rat faces are actually sexually assaulting the woman.

Also, Ned promises to tell Jon the truth about his mother one day, and if my theory is correct, that seems like a Maury "not the father" episode waiting to happen.

1) a scene where four men with rat faces are raping a beautiful woman;

2) a feast of corpses, where many of the bodies were savagely slaughtered, and many of the corpses have cups or spoons in their hands; above them sits a dead man on a throne with the head of a wolf, wearing an iron crown and holding a leg of lamb like a king would hold a scepter;

3) old, dead, loyal Ser Willem Darry at the house with the red door from when Daenerys lived in Braavos;

4) a scene where an old man with long silver hair sits on a barbed throne in a great hall with dragon skulls, and says "Let him be the king of ashes";

5) a man who looked like Viserys, but taller and with darker eyes, who says to a woman nursing a baby, "Aegon…What better name for a king…He is the prince that was promised, and his is the song of ice and fire"; and when the man’s eyes meet Dany’s, he says either to her or the woman with the baby, "There must be one more…The dragon has three heads", and he picks up a silver harp and begins to play;

6) a vision of Pyat Pree telling her the visit was over, and to follow him into a garden;

7) a great hall with several robed people claiming to be the Undying of Qarth, who tell her, "We sent the comet to show you the way (to Qarth)…shall we teach you the secret speech of dragonkind?", but it turns out to be sorcery.

Added: inbetween, the words of the undying. Mother of Dragons. Child of three... three heads has the dragon...child of storm... three fires must you light (life, death, love)...three mounts must you ride (bed, dread, love)...three treasons will you know (blood, gold, love).

(End added)

8) Viserys dying;

9) a tall lord with copper skin and silver hair bearing the banner of a fiery stallion (probably Rhaego, her unborn son);

10) a dying prince with rubies flying from his armor whispering the name of a woman with his last breath;

11) a blue-eyed king with a red sword in his hand who cast no shadow;

12) a cloth dragon amidst a cheering crowd;

13) a great stone beast flying from a smoking tower, breathing shadow fire;

14) her Silver horse given to her by Drogo at her wedding;

15) a corpse at the prow of a ship, eyes bright in his dead face, grey lips smiling sadly;

16) a blue flower growing from a chink in a wall of ice;

17) shadows dancing in a tent;

18) a little girl running toward a house with a red door

19) Mirri Maz Duur shrieking in the flames as a dragon bursts from her;

20) a corpse being dragged behind a silver horse;

21) a white lion running through grass taller than a man;

22) a line of naked crones emerging from a lake, kneeling before Daenerys beneath the Mother of Mountains;

23) ten thousand slaves crying "Mother" as Daenerys rode by on her silver.

Spacing added.

1) War of the Four Kings (four false kings destroying the woman Westeros)

2) Red Wedding

3) House with the Red door (more at 18). This is arguably just her nicest memory, trying to draw her.

4) Aerys II planning to burn KL

5) Rhaegar with Aegon

6) & 7) Tricks. Note with 7: the door is weirwood&ebony, like the faceless temple. Otherwise I see no special clues.

Thus far the trials. Some of them are interesting and revealing, but I assume all this is well known.

Now, after the undying finish their "rant", Daenerys doesn't understand. She asks, and they respond, to help her and show her. The following 15 visions explain their rant.

8,9,10) Daughter of death (child of three?). The story before her rebirth revolved around three young deaths: Rhaegar, Viserys, and Rhaego (her son).

11, 12, 13) Slayer of lies. Stannis the false AA, Aegon the false Targaryen, and a false dragon. The problem is matching this with the speech, as it'd be "three heads..." and "child of storm". The latter seems just a reference to her name and makes no other sense. The three heads? Might this mean that this part is just completely misunderstood and rather refers to three false dragons that proceed the real one?

13) is as yet unrevealed. My guess however is that this is about Moqorro, who is referred to as Dark Flame by Quaithe. Conveniently, he's travelling with the Dragon Horn (the horn of fire). While we have been told that it would bind Dany's dragons, I doubt this. The horn of Winter (Ice) is said to wake giants from the earth. Celtigar is said to have a horn that wakes kraken from the deep (horn of water?). I Assume there's a horn of mud/earth too, ask the Reeds. And the horn of Fire, thus, wakes dragons out of stone.

This further implies that Mel's prophecy of AA being born again amidst smoke and salt to do so, most likely refers to Victarion. Or Moqorro. Both can be said to have had a miraculous "rebirth" in quick succession.

Likewise, the prophecy of the prince that was promised in Aerys' bloodline is about Aegon. Thus all three fulfil one prophecy, but all three are false: Stannis' sword doesn't emit heat, Aegon is not a Targaryen, and Victarion wakes a fake dragon. Daenerys fulfils all three correctly

14, 15, 16) The first is about Drogo. The third is about Jon - these are rather obvious. 15 is the hardest, but as others say, a grey smile just means Grey-Joy. Vic is an obvious suspect, he's en-route and regarding his hand, Moqorro said "your death is with us". Still, it may as well be Euron - we don't know what he's been up to, and the bright eyes may be references to his smiling and malicious eye. He's certainly be involved with death one way or another.

These three of course are the three mounts she shall ride: One to bed (Drogo) and one to dread (Greyjoy) and one to love (Jon).

17.18,19,20) 17 and 19, I presume, are combined, so it's still three. Mirri Maz Duur betrayed her for blood, the merchant betrayed her for gold. This leaves 18, the house with the red door, as the betrayal for love. I can think of three explanations. One is just being married off - not for her love, but for Dorne's love of Elia. The second is her denial of Quentyn, though that wasn't particularly for love - in this case it's inverted. The third however is most interesting: that Dorne will ultimately betray her (in a Dance of the Dragons II scenario) for Aegon, who they of course love more than her, or who Arianne falls in love with.

21,22,23) Three fires you will light. 23 is the clear one, Yunkai. They needed her, the fire, the life. So that's the one for life, it'd seem. The other two are unclear (as is this whole prophecy imo, "lighting fires"?). The crones may refer to the ritual for Rhaego... but I have a suspicion that it's yet to happen. MMD's famous words I think will come true - we already had the sun rising in the west and setting in the east (quentyn), and as for a mountain blowing in the wind, I could easily think of Robert Strong flying out of the moondoor, or Tyrion fighting the Windblown. Seeing as Dany's met up with the Dothraki again, maybe there's something big in store. That her womb quickens again and she bears a living child. Besides, I demand another bleeding star for Jon's rebirth. Anyway, this one's probably about death (gut feeling). The last one, the white lion in the grass tall as a man... that'd then be to love. Might just be the Hrakkar in the dothraki see, about Drogo. Might be a Lannister (Jaime? Tyrion?) but I can't really make sense of it.

• 1 month later...

You are setting too much store by the prophecy!

Oh, wait... that was a different book. :drunk:

I still find it relevant, since nobody seems to want to adress the tricks the undead try to play on Daenerys.

3) old, dead, loyal Ser Willem Darry at the house with the red door from when Daenerys lived in Braavos;

6) a vision of Pyat Pree telling her the visit was over, and to follow him into a garden;

7) a great hall with several robed people claiming to be the Undying of Quarth, who tell her, "We sent the comet to show you the way (to Qarth)…shall we teach you the secret speech of dragonkind?", but it turns out to be sorcery.

Daenerys recognizes that not everything that glitters is gold. She has to carefully keep her emotions in check lest dreams and desires cloud her judgement. Note how every single character interprets the red comet to fit their own agenda. Nothing Daenerys sees in the House of the Undead is set in stone. (Well, maybe except that one dragon...)

I found it amusing that the undead call her the slayer of lies, and then she (or rather her spawn) goes on to slay them.

13: Castle Black burning? Jon Snow is the dragon rising from the smoking tower. Jon being reborn amid the smoke and salty wall ice as the hero AAR. His dragon has been dormant or frozen in stone (but I think its ice). This betrayl of his brothers was what was needed in order for the change to take place.

Let's go with a recap of my own:

1) a scene where four men with rat faces are raping a beautiful woman;

I have no idea

2) a feast of corpses, where many of the bodies were savagely slaughtered, and many of the corpses have cups or spoons in their hands; above them sits a dead man on a throne with the head of a wolf, wearing an iron crown and holding a leg of lamb like a king would hold a scepter;

Red wedding

Self explaining; a memory

4) a scene where an old man with long silver hair sits on a barbed throne in a great hall with dragon skulls, and says "Let him be the king of ashes";

Aerys talking to the pyromancer about burning KL; he refers to Robert

5) a man who looked like Viserys, but taller and with darker eyes, who says to a woman nursing a baby, "Aegon…What better name for a king…He is the prince that was promised, and his is the song of ice and fire"; and when the man’s eyes meet Dany’s, he says either to her or the woman with the baby, "There must be one more…The dragon has three heads", and he picks up a silver harp and begins to play;

Rhaegar talks to Elia about Aegon: he will eventually be king (1st head), PTWP, AAR etc. He must have been in Asshai. (The city's name reminds Ashara)

Then he talks to Dany (2nd head), about a theird head (Jon

Scenery

7) a great hall with several robed people claiming to be the Undying of Qarth, who tell her, "We sent the comet to show you the way (to Qarth)…shall we teach you the secret speech of dragonkind?", but it turns out to be sorcery.

More scenery

8) Viserys dying;

Another memory

9) a tall lord with copper skin and silver hair bearing the banner of a fiery stallion (probably Rhaego, her unborn son);

I agree

10) a dying prince with rubies flying from his armor whispering the name of a woman with his last breath;

Rhaegar

8,9,10 three true dragons, Targaryen even though not kings

11) a blue-eyed king with a red sword in his hand who cast no shadow;

Robert; no shadow = no true born son to inherit him

12) a cloth dragon amidst a cheering crowd;

Tommen (or Joff), a puppet in Tywin hands

13) a great stone beast flying from a smoking tower, breathing shadow fire;

Stannis set out from Dragonstone, and his shadow killed Renly and Penrose

11,12,13 three false dragons, kings but not Targaryen

14) her Silver horse given to her by Drogo at her wedding;

a mount to bed

15) a corpse at the prow of a ship, eyes bright in his dead face, smiling sadly;

Jon Connington or Theon Greyjoy ??? or whoever (a mount to dread? Was it not Drogo?)

16) a blue flower growing from a chink in a wall of ice;

Jon Snow ( a mount to love? I don't see it; jon's half wildling and Val goes after him)

17) shadows dancing in a tent;[1]

MMD in Drogoś tent

18) a little girl running toward a house with a red door;[2]

Dany in Braavos

19) Mirri Maz Duur shrieking in the flames as a dragon bursts from her;

a fire to death

20) a corpse being dragged behind a silver horse;

The poisoner in Vaes Dothrak

21) a white lion running through grass taller than a man;

But it became Dany's pelt

22) a line of naked crones emerging from a lake, kneeling before Daenerys beneath the Mother of Mountains;

Vaes Dothrak; stallion's mother

23) ten thousand slaves crying "Mother" as Daenerys rode by on her silver.[3]

Slavers Bay

I think the main line is that about Aegon. The baby's corpse was a fake, then.

Spacing added.

1) War of the Four Kings (four false kings destroying the woman Westeros)

2) Red Wedding

3) House with the Red door (more at 18). This is arguably just her nicest memory, trying to draw her.

4) Aerys II planning to burn KL

5) Rhaegar with Aegon

6) & 7) Tricks. Note with 7: the door is weirwood&ebony, like the faceless temple. Otherwise I see no special clues.

Thus far the trials. Some of them are interesting and revealing, but I assume all this is well known.

Now, after the undying finish their "rant", Daenerys doesn't understand. She asks, and they respond, to help her and show her. The following 15 visions explain their rant.

8,9,10) Daughter of death (child of three?). The story before her rebirth revolved around three young deaths: Rhaegar, Viserys, and Rhaego (her son).

11, 12, 13) Slayer of lies. Stannis the false AA, Aegon the false Targaryen, and a false dragon. The problem is matching this with the speech, as it'd be "three heads..." and "child of storm". The latter seems just a reference to her name and makes no other sense. The three heads? Might this mean that this part is just completely misunderstood and rather refers to three false dragons that proceed the real one?

13) is as yet unrevealed. My guess however is that this is about Moqorro, who is referred to as Dark Flame by Quaithe. Conveniently, he's travelling with the Dragon Horn (the horn of fire). While we have been told that it would bind Dany's dragons, I doubt this. The horn of Winter (Ice) is said to wake giants from the earth. Celtigar is said to have a horn that wakes kraken from the deep (horn of water?). I Assume there's a horn of mud/earth too, ask the Reeds. And the horn of Fire, thus, wakes dragons out of stone.

This further implies that Mel's prophecy of AA being born again amidst smoke and salt to do so, most likely refers to Victarion. Or Moqorro. Both can be said to have had a miraculous "rebirth" in quick succession.

Likewise, the prophecy of the prince that was promised in Aerys' bloodline is about Aegon. Thus all three fulfil one prophecy, but all three are false: Stannis' sword doesn't emit heat, Aegon is not a Targaryen, and Victarion wakes a fake dragon. Daenerys fulfils all three correctly

14, 15, 16) The first is about Drogo. The third is about Jon - these are rather obvious. 15 is the hardest, but as others say, a grey smile just means Grey-Joy. Vic is an obvious suspect, he's en-route and regarding his hand, Moqorro said "your death is with us". Still, it may as well be Euron - we don't know what he's been up to, and the bright eyes may be references to his smiling and malicious eye. He's certainly be involved with death one way or another.

These three of course are the three mounts she shall ride: One to bed (Drogo) and one to dread (Greyjoy) and one to love (Jon).

17.18,19,20) 17 and 19, I presume, are combined, so it's still three. Mirri Maz Duur betrayed her for blood, the merchant betrayed her for gold. This leaves 18, the house with the red door, as the betrayal for love. I can think of three explanations. One is just being married off - not for her love, but for Dorne's love of Elia. The second is her denial of Quentyn, though that wasn't particularly for love - in this case it's inverted. The third however is most interesting: that Dorne will ultimately betray her (in a Dance of the Dragons II scenario) for Aegon, who they of course love more than her, or who Arianne falls in love with.

21,22,23) Three fires you will light. 23 is the clear one, Yunkai. They needed her, the fire, the life. So that's the one for life, it'd seem. The other two are unclear (as is this whole prophecy imo, "lighting fires"?). The crones may refer to the ritual for Rhaego... but I have a suspicion that it's yet to happen. MMD's famous words I think will come true - we already had the sun rising in the west and setting in the east (quentyn), and as for a mountain blowing in the wind, I could easily think of Robert Strong flying out of the moondoor, or Tyrion fighting the Windblown. Seeing as Dany's met up with the Dothraki again, maybe there's something big in store. That her womb quickens again and she bears a living child. Besides, I demand another bleeding star for Jon's rebirth. Anyway, this one's probably about death (gut feeling). The last one, the white lion in the grass tall as a man... that'd then be to love. Might just be the Hrakkar in the dothraki see, about Drogo. Might be a Lannister (Jaime? Tyrion?) but I can't really make sense of it.

I hadn't read this. Great post, if I may say, given that we mostly agree.

Thank the gods! I have finally figured out #1:

1) a scene where four men with rat faces are raping a beautiful woman

This vision is actually a vision of the entire Riot of King's Landing happening all at once, and each piece of the vision is an actual piece of a separate event that occurred during that riot. I'll quote the actual vision in its entirety:

"In one room, a beautiful woman sprawled naked on the floor while four little men crawled over her. They had rattish pointed faces and tiny pink hands, like the servitor who had brought her the glass of shade. One was pumping between her thighs. Another savaged her breasts, worrying at the nipples with his wet red mouth, tearing and chewing."

Now, at face value, this vision doesn't match any actual event, but since it's just a vision, it doesn't have to. Only some of the visions are straightforward depictions, the other ones are both symbols and real things mixed together. This vision falls into that category. It's not a complete metaphor, but it's also not a completely exact depiction. Everything contained in the vision, however, was present during the riot, either metaphorically or actually.

The beautiful woman- There was at least one strikingly beautiful woman, Cersei, who was present at the riot.

The naked woman being raped- This is Lollys Stokeworth. She was raped by half a hundred men during the riot and later found naked wandering down Sowbelly Row. She's not beautiful, which is why this vision doesn't depict her particular event exactly. It blends a part of her event with other parts of the riot.

The rat-men- These are some of the men that participated in the riot. They were, at one point, likened to rats by the Hound, when he referred to his encounter with them ("“Brave?” His laugh was half a snarl. “A dog doesn’t need courage to chase off rats. They had me thirty to one, and not a man of them dared face me.”", ACOK, Sansa IV)

The four men- According to Sandor, there were exactly four men who held down Ser Aron Santagar and bashed his skull in with a cobblestone during the riot. The Hound himself even killed one of them.

The man savaging the breasts- This is the only part that I'm not 100% sure about, but I have a strong belief that this is an allusion to Tyrek Lannister, A.K.A. Wet Nurse, and his mysterious disappearance during the riot. I think this may be a reference to what actually happened to him. In other words, he nursed the savages with his own blood, since they were known to be VERY hungry for Lannister blood. This would have been a very smart play by Varys. It would have gotten rid of someone who was next to Robert when he died and who may have held on to some potentially dangerous information regarding the nature of the king's demise, and it also would have given the smallfolk something to satisfy their bloodlust, at least temporarily. He couldn't give them Tyrion, whom they wanted most, because he already knew that Tyrion was too valuable to sacrifice, but giving them Wet Nurse would have been an excellent way to keep things from getting completely out of control, as long as they agreed to destroy all evidence of what they did to him. Varys most likely already knew the riot was coming, because he's Varys, so he most certainly would have had a plan in motion by that point to try and contain it (and possibly to actually protect Tyrion from harm). Tyrek's sacrifice makes perfect sense.

This kind of caught my attention after reading it for the fiftieth time... Aegon's is "the song of ice and fire?"... What does a son of Elia and Rhaegar's have to do with ice?

At the same time, Aegon couldn't be Lyanna's because Rhaegar would have known that a baby born of an informal relationship (non-married couple), no matter how noble the mother, would still be considered a bastard not worthy of the crown. And he clearly says, "What better name for a king."

The evidence supporting the theory that "Jon Snow" was the baby that was born in the Tower of Joy is overwhelming. And since Lyanna died shortly after child birth, she didn't have enough time to nurse her baby as seen in Dany's vision. This means that the Aegon in the vision was Elia's child, not Lyanna's.

I see several possibilities:

1) Rhaegar read some prophecy that led him to believe Aegon would have some affiliation with "ice" at some point

2) Rhaegar is a poetic idiot who just spouts off random lines to add confusion

3) GRRM screwed up (extremely unlikely)

After all the times I have read this passage trying to figure out what each and every thing referred to, I finally went back and actually reread the whole chapter and there are four words that have a serious impact on these visions, "days that never were".

“By no means,” Pyat Pree said. “Leaving and coming, it is the same. Always up. Always the door to your right. other doors may open to you. Within, you will see many things that disturb you. Visions of loveliness and visions of horror, wonders and terrors. Sights and sounds of days gone by and days to come and days that never were. Dwellers and servitors may speak to you as you go. Answer or ignore them as you choose, but enter no room until you reach the audience chamber.”

So I think it is safe to assume that some of these are meant solely to misdirect her and us as to the way things really are.

13. a great stone beast flying from a smoking tower, breathing shadow fire

I've always thought this referred to Jon Con and (f)Aegon. A griffin is a type of mythical beast (half eagle and half lion?) that can presumably fly because it has wings. She sees a stone griffin because Jon Con has greyscale. The stone griffin breathing shadow fire equates to Jon Con spreading the lie about (f)Aegon being the rightful heir to the throne. Shadow fire = Blackfyre.

After all the times I have read this passage trying to figure out what each and every thing referred to, I finally went back and actually reread the whole chapter and there are four words that have a serious impact on these visions, "days that never were".

So I think it is safe to assume that some of these are meant solely to misdirect her and us as to the way things really are.

Never noticed that before!!

Is there a way to determine which visions are real and which visions are misdirections, I wonder?

Archived