Could Coldhands be the Night's King?

DoctorSwerve

I don't have really any proof, but I think that Coldhands is the Night's King. Since he was married to an Other, it's likely that he was wighted in the process. Once he was taken down, I think that his connection to the Others was broken and thus he had a return to sanity. This would be very possible in a land still rich in magic. His punishment ended up being that he had to walk the earth as a wight until the Others return, at which time he could be released from his penance.

As a previous Lord Commander of the Night's Watch, he would have known all of the secrets of the Wall, including its secret passages, which I don't think that any current Night's Watch member would known even existed.

Thoughts?

I had always assumed that Coldhands was Benjen Stark, but I had no rationale for thinking this.

The big question for me with Coldhands is, how can he be a wight, but clearly out of control of the Others? Your return to sanity theory is as good as anything I can think of.

Coldhands being the Night's King seems more plausible than him being Waymar Royce, Will or Benjen Stark, since Leaf said 'They killed him long ago,' about Coldhands. Benjen, Waymar and Will were murdered a few years prior to Brans meeting with Leaf and the other Children, and knowing that the Children live a thousand years, they wouldn't consider a few years a long time. Therefore I think the Night's King theory is okay, nevertheless I want Coldhands to be Benjen.

Crown: I hope, Benjen is not murdered, but still very alive :-) and coming to the rescue in one of the next books or something like that ;-)

At the beginning, I, too, thought, that Coldhands must be Benjen, but surely Bran would have recognised something - gesture, voice something like that. And then came the remark about him being dead for a long time, which made me rethink my Benjen = CH theory. He could very well be the Night's king.

And related: maybe wights become sane again after a while, if they are not killed again. Maybe they become violent and mindless during the process of change, who knows

I agree that CH=!=Benjen. It makes little sense, considering the CotF think he's been around for a long time. Both Brandon the Builder and the NK are possible, I'd say, and they might even be the same person. Either way, we should assume CH has been around for at least centuries*.

*) I'm not ready to assign millennia here. For some reason I think the human history of Westeros is much shorter than 8000 years. Anything before the arrival of the Targaryen dynasty has to be taken with a grain of salt, and anything before the arrival of the Rhoynar is very dubious. I particularly doubt that the Rhoynar came to Westeros that much later than the Andals, considering the contacts between these two groups go back to the very beginning of the Andal conquest of Westeros or even before...

I've always just thought Coldhands was Bloodraven's warg - the same way Bran sometimes wargs into Hodor. Bloodraven was once a Lord Commander, so he calls Sam brother.

The night-king wasn't undead himself, but was wooed by an undead woman. I think a way better candidate will be Stannis, and the undead woman is Mel. His seat is already the Night Fort.

Archived