May 2012 Reading Thread, Take Two

Werthead

In which posters will not abuse one another, constantly derail the thread with snark about books they have never read and generally act like asshats. Thank you.

To get the ball re-rolling, just finished China Mieville's Railsea and embarking on Daniel Abraham's The King's Blood.

I just finished Mechanique, which was pretty good. Haven't decided whether I want to reread Angelmaker by Nick Harkaway or start Talulla Rising by Glen Duncan.

Waitwaitwait -- Talulla Rising isn't out yet, is it?? Is it??????

And DAMN YOU if you have an ARC.

I have an ARC. :D

Damndamndamn.

But in any case, I looked it up. It appears that the paperback actually came out April 1 -- all other formats must wait til June 26, which is the date I was expecting.

Well, tell us if it's worth waiting for!

In which posters will not abuse one another, constantly derail the thread with snark about books they have never read and generally act like asshats. Thank you.

To get the ball re-rolling, just finished China Mieville's Railsea and embarking on Daniel Abraham's The King's Blood.

I finished Railsea a couple weeks back. I didn't dig it much, but I find Mieville is hit or miss for everyone and there's no telling which will hit with which people. I loved Scar, hated Perdido. Loved City & City, didn't dig this new one. Who knows?

Finished King's Blood this weekend. Abraham continues to blow me away. LOVED it.

I'm working on Redshirts from Scalzi now, along with Devices and Desires by Parker.

That's just it. I have tried to read some tie ins. Seems like all the free books for reading when you are deployed are either stupid ass tie in novels, or stephen king. They were bad. Every last one of them. /Especially/ the 40K ones.

Re-reading the Acts of Caine, because Cain's Law confused the shit out of me.

Just finished Kameron Hurley's God's War, which was awesome! Had I read it in 2011 when it was released, it would have been tied with Erikson's The Crippled God for my favorite read of the year!

Do give it a shot!

Check out the blog for my review. . .

Patrick

Does this mean we can abuse each other in other threads?(Cause damn, we do) :lmao:

Firethorn is rocking my socks, but it's a slow read for some reason. The prose just kinda flows at a very languid pace, but hey, I LIKE slow moving books.

Finished Daniel Abraham's The King's Blood. Great stuff. The Dagger and Coin Quintet is shaping up nicely.

In light of the love it's been getting round here, have decided to embark upon a re-read of James Clavell's Shogun. Having read and enjoyed it as a kid, I'm sure I'm gonna love it this time around.

I'm actually going to head down to my local used book store and pick up some 40k novels and try to read them. It will be like when larry (or was it aiden) slogged through the Stanek novels, i.e. reading terrible books in the name of science!

That way i'll be within the defined perimeters to complain about the books. Maybe i'll start a thread, or just hook up with the black library nonsense going on already.

I think i'll start with:

The Eisenhorn trilogy

I'm actually going to head down to my local used book store and pick up some 40k novels and try to read them. It will be like when larry (or was it aiden) slogged through the Stanek novels, i.e. reading terrible books in the name of science!

That way i'll be within the defined perimeters to complain about the books. Maybe i'll start a thread, or just hook up with the black library nonsense going on already.

I think i'll start with:

The Eisenhorn trilogy

You said you would start a thread the other day. Where is it?

Oh, and spoiler alert. Eisenhorn pulls a light sabre at one point. I know you will find plenty of mocking points on your own, but I had to give a freebie.

Anyway, finished up the Monarchies of God. Almost wish I could get my hands on the original final book, because I was prepared for a rushed and horrible ending, but the revisions seemed to take care of the problems I heard of. The fourth book was a major let down, but 1-3 and 5 were all very good. Kearney, I am quite happy to have finally read you.

Giving up on Christopher Moore for now, so I am going to reread The Dragon's Path before reading Kings Blood. Sooner of later I will get back to Crown of Stars as well.

Abnett apparently is pretty good, he wrote Authority for awhile I believe.

Comics - Just went back through the issues of Ellis's Supergod. Basically countries create superhumans to use as weapons. Ellis pulls one of his silly endings just when things are getting interesting, but otherwise it's worth a read just to see the his takes on the Indian and British hero-gods.

Bought the paperback for ADWD yesterday, 1117 pages of pure novel (the rest is appendix and a spoiler-chapter). I immediately wanted to dive into it. But first I want to finish Sailing to Sarantium by Guy Gavriel Kay. I'm past the halfway point, and I really like it so far. The only downside is that some things echo Byzantine history so closely I sometimes know what's coming.

Anyway, finished up the Monarchies of God. Almost wish I could get my hands on the original final book, because I was prepared for a rushed and horrible ending, but the revisions seemed to take care of the problems I heard of. The fourth book was a major let down, but 1-3 and 5 were all very good. Kearney, I am quite happy to have finally read you.

Which edition do you have? I bought the omnibus a year ago, dunno if it has the revised or original last book.

Loved it, though. Also because of the pace, because it keeps on going. And Kearney is as harsh to his characters as GRRM.

What did you make of Corfe at the end? I thought he died and went to heaven, but I read somewhere that he simply went a-wandering.

This weekend I finished Jonathan Franzen's Freedom. It was good but perhaps my expectations were a bit too high as I felt it just couldn't match The Corrections - which I thought felt more focused, somehow.

I think I'll try Life of Pi or a book by Beate Grimsrud called I'm Sneaking Past an Axe now.

I think i'll start with:

The Eisenhorn trilogy

If you don't like it, why read it? So you can abuse people who enjoy it? I don't understand your reasoning.

Eisenhorn is very entertaining. But if you hate 40k you may not enjoy it.

I'm started reading Ender's game over the weekend, I'm quite enjoying it, until I came on here and saw OSC is a homophobic bigot.

Archived