Moments of Foreshadowing 3

Ser Wun Wun

Ser Wun Wun I was thinking about the more she watched him the more she hated him in regards to the insurance man with spidery hands. That's essentially what Arya did with Dareon. She watched him first and grew to dislike him more and more then killed him.

Also, Varys would be one of the guards of the "dragon." Arya was not supposed to kill the guards in that instance just like she was not supposed to kill Dareon. She may pull a Dareon again and kill someone (Varys) because she hates him despite not being her target.

It's certainly plausible. I searched the books trying to find some thematic connection between Dareon and another character (anyone really), but the best I could come up with is:

AFFC; Sam

Fair-haired and hazel-eyed, the handsome young singer (Dareon) out of Eastwatch looked more like some dark prince than a black brother

The whole prince thing kind of ties him to Aegon I suppose. You made the connection between them earlier with the whole 'fair of face, foul of heart thing'. Also, and maybe it's nothing, but Dareon was sent to the Wall by Lord Rowan (whose daughter he "raped). Lord Rowan was the one leading the siege of SE for the Tyrell's, a castle which we know Aegon just took. Like I said, maybe it's nothing, I'm just putting it out there. Dareon was also described as having 'a loose tongue and quick temper', which is another Aegon connection (the temper part at least, not sure about the loose tongue thing).

As an aside, I also noticed while looking through the Dareon stuff that his death was kind of foreshadowed (this was probably spotted before, but I just saw it myself):

AFFC; Sam

Dareon... I should not think ill of him. He could be hurt, perhaps that is why he did not come back. He could be dead, lying in some alley in a pool of blood, or floating facedown in one of the canals.

And that's exactly where he ended up.

Oh, and here is one more Arya/Varys connection:

AFFC; Arya

“I don’t know any mummer’s tricks either.”

“Then practice making faces.

She found the Myrish mirror the next day, and every morn and every night she sat before it with a candle on each side of her, making faces. Rule your face, she told herself, and you can lie.

She is literally learning "mummer's tricks" :)

In the original Targaryen invasion, the Targs got the most resistance from women. Namely Mariya Martell and the Arryn queen. It was the women who held out, and the men who either died in battle (Lannister, Hoare, Gardener) or submitted (Stark, the boy Arryn king), Tully, Greyjoy, etc.). I have to wonder if this isn't a clue about who will cause the Targaryens (Dany and "Aegon") the most trouble.

Arianne is the heiress of Dorne and already side-eyeing Dany.

There are also the Sand Snakes, entirely female, plus Arya and Sansa Stark. The Martell male, Quentyn, is already dead and it looks like other male players like Tarly and Tyrell will either submit or die fighting.

Mariya Martell put up the best resistance against Targ rule — a shriveled, elderly woman. And look who's caused Dany the most headaches so far: two older women, Mirri and the Green Grace. She just needs Olenna Tyrell to complete the trifecta.

There are also the Sand Snakes, entirely female, plus Arya and Sansa Stark. The Martell male, Quentyn, is already dead and it looks like other male players like Tarly and Tyrell will either submit or die fighting.

Anyone else going to be really disappointed if the Sand Snakes stay locked up for the remainder of the series?

Anyone else going to be really disappointed if the Sand Snakes stay locked up for the remainder of the series?

Why do you think they're still locked up? Because they ... aren't. Obara's going after Darkstar. Sarella is at the Citadel. Nym's going to sit on the Small Council. Tyene's going to spy on the High Septon.

Elia's riding with Arianne to meet Aegon. Obella's going to Sunspear to be a cupbearer. Loreza is with her mother Ellaria and the youngest, who's just a child, is at the Water Gardens.

One I've just noticed for the first time since re-reading the series is at the beginning of AFFC and ADWD, in the Sam/Jon crossover chapters, they both look at one another and see the snow melting in the other's hair. The passage both times is incredibly similar to when Robb says farewell to his siblings. Jon, Arya and Sansa all remark on how that's the last real image they have of Robb before he dies.

And of course, that's the last time Jon and Sam see one another before Jon gets stabbed in the back by the Night's Watch.

TWoW:

It will be dawn soon. Someone says “A red dawn,” and Barristan thinks “A dragon dawn.”

In terms of the red dawn there is a mariner's rhyme:

Red sky at morning, sailors take warning;

Red sky at night, sailors delight

Does the red dawn foreshadow Victarion's fate, especially his attempts with the dragons as the dawn is also called a dragon dawn?

It's certainly plausible. I searched the books trying to find some thematic connection between Dareon and another character (anyone really), but the best I could come up with is:

Good finds.

As for dark prince he may very well be a Blackfyre whose house is represented by a black dragon on a red background as opposed to the Targaryen's red dragon and:

"The prince wore sword and dagger, black boots polished to a high sheen, a black cloak lined with blood-red silk. With his hair washed and cut and freshly dyed a deep, dark blue, his eyes looked blue as well. At his throat he wore three huge square-cut rubies on a chain of black iron, a gift from Magister Illyrio. Red and black. Dragon colors."

Mules, horses, donkeys, it made no matter; to him they were all fearsome beasts, as terrifying as dragons or griffins.

Dany and Connington will come to the Vale.

ETA: Also Aegon will accompany Connington.

Good point, Vale was important in the first DoD, I think it will be the same this time too. They probably will come from the sea but I still want to see some elephant crossing mountains :wideeyed: .

“Take any part of my arm, and you’d best chop off the other one as well, or I’ll strangle you with it afterward.”

Qyburn looked in his eyes. Whatever he saw there gave him pause.

Could it be that Qyburn is sensing the future? It's interesting that he will even become Cersei's man later. This could be another point for Jaime strangling Cersei.

Mules, horses, donkeys, it made no matter; to him they were all fearsome beasts, as terrifying as dragons or griffins.

Dany and Connington will come to the Vale.

ETA: Also Aegon will accompany Connington.

Is the quote regarding Sweetrobin? I guess so.

It could also mean that regular armies (horses mules, etc.) can be equally terrifying (strong) as griffins, secret hidden heirs, and dragons. And that they will give them a hell of a fight. In the Vale or not :P

Mariya Martell put up the best resistance against Targ rule — a shriveled, elderly woman. And look who's caused Dany the most headaches so far: two older women, Mirri and the Green Grace. She just needs Olenna Tyrell to complete the trifecta.

I agree. ^_^

Tze posted it.

I think Dany's repeated clashes with winesellers might be a hint that Dany will clash with House Redwyne in Westeros. In AGOT, a wineseller tried to poison her (and was dragged naked behind her horse until he died). In ADWD, several Unsullied were poisoned at a wineshop, and Dany allowed the Shavepate to torture the wineseller and his daughters. House Redwyne, of course, is heavily associated with wine, and since we know Dany and winesellers don't mix, perhaps Dany's repeated clashes with winesellers foreshadow House Redwyne screwing Dany over in Westeros.

Here's a couple I haven't seen mentioned in these threads:

aCoK, before the Purple Wedding Feast-

QoT, to Tyrion : I assumed you would be off leading a Lannister host against some wicked foe."

Tyrion : "A host of dragons and stags."

Tyrion is referring to his role as Master of Coin, but does this not also foreshadow him leading an actual army again? The "dragons" would be troops loyal to Dany, presumably. Does "stags" refer to Stormland houses, or Gold Cloaks?

aGoT: After Ned gets word of Bran's awakening, he, Sansa, and Arya hold a vigil in the Red Keep godswood. After both girls fall asleep,

When dawn broke over the city, the dark red blooms of dragon's breath surrounded the girls where they lay.

Sansa and Arya are surrounded by dragon's breath, but are safe and at peace. One interpretation would be that they will both survive, connected to (married to?, protected by?) dragons.

Here's a couple I haven't seen mentioned in these threads:

aCoK, before the Purple Wedding Feast-

Tyrion is referring to his role as Master of Coin, but does this not also foreshadow him leading an actual army again? The "dragons" would be troops loyal to Dany, presumably. Does "stags" refer to Stormland houses, or Gold Cloaks?

aGoT: After Ned gets word of Bran's awakening, he, Sansa, and Arya hold a vigil in the Red Keep godswood. After both girls fall asleep,

Sansa and Arya are surrounded by dragon's breath, but are safe and at peace. One interpretation would be that they will both survive, connected to (married to?, protected by?) dragons.

Greenseers can see through the eyes of heart trees, and BR is the last greenseer, his sigil is a white dragon breathing red flames, so the "dark red blooms of dragon's breath" may be hinting that BR is keeping tabs on them.

Good point, Vale was important in the first DoD, I think it will be the same this time too. They probably will come from the sea but I still want to see some elephant crossing mountains :wideeyed: .

That would only complete the Hannibal inspiration I think exists for Connington.

“Take any part of my arm, and you’d best chop off the other one as well, or I’ll strangle you with it afterward.”

Qyburn looked in his eyes. Whatever he saw there gave him pause.

Could it be that Qyburn is sensing the future? It's interesting that he will even become Cersei's man later. This could be another point for Jaime strangling Cersei.

I think Jaime will eventually kill him; when he killed Aerys he also killed his pyromancers, and he may do the same for Cersei.

"Don't call me Lord Snow"

"Would you rather be called the Imp? Let them see that their words can cut you and you'll never be free of mockery. If they want to give you a name, take it, and make it your own. Then they can't hurt you with it anymore."

Nice I wonder how many names Tyrion has made his own, anyone want to go to the effort of listing them all so we can see if he ever became twisted little monkey demon

who knows Jamie might even take Kinslayer and make the name his own.

ACoK, when Stannis burns the Seven.

"The Maiden lay athwart the Warrior, her arms wide-spread as if to embrace him."

Both the statues are togheter in the fire, and Arya has been compared to the Warrior many time, even by her mother. Sansa is the Maid, obviously.

On that same scene obviously we note the Father, "first to fall" (Ned), the Mother, whose face is been licked by the fire and has the heart pierced by a sword (Catelyn/Lady Stoneheart), the Smith, who loses his head (Robb) and the Stranger, his black fingers burning (Jon and hand burn). The Crone isn't mentioned, since Bran will live way longer than the others. Rickon is not there since despite being part of the family he is out of the game and will never get a POV.

All the statues are burning, so if burning = death it's going to be fun...

Unless fire = troubles, in that case both the girls are safe.

Still, in AGoT Arya "would have been found frozen, with a needle in her hands" and Ned forbade Arya "to stab Sansa", or something like that.

Assuming that they are foreshadowing and not jokes (and that GRRM's plans have never changed) future is pretty grim!

Personally I'd like that, but probably it won't happen...

Archived