[NO SPOILERS] "Positive Nitpicking" - What you loved about the episode (READ THE OP)

shiola

The Dreadfort scenes were great, and that chase scene was so brutal. Loved the interaction between Roose, Ramsay and Locke. Alfie is killing it as Reek. That look in his eyes when he hears that Robb is dead... so sad.

I thought the dinner scene between Mel, Stannis and Selyse was pretty funny. I liked Shireen sticking it to Mel, also.

Can't wait for more sparring between Bronn and Jaime. Loved Jaime being all like "You're not supposed to hit me before I pick up my sword!" while Bronn toys with him, haha.

Jack Gleeson was fantastic. I was underwhelmed by the episode overall, but let's hope he continues acting after this, because his performance in this was straight off of the pages of the book.

He was more courteous than book Joff, he never told Tyrion "You owe me a present uncle, this book is cut in half", and the thing with the dragonbone dagger

Loved the make-up/effects on Joffrey's face as he died, brace yourselves for the Joffrey is dead meme's.

Knowing that Joff was going to died I just stared at Cersei's cleavage :blushing:.

I thought Joffrey's death was done superbly. Dying with Jaime as well as Cersei was an excellent touch, but the chilling shot of his face at the end and The Rains of Castamere rendition added to the whole atmosphere.

Theon's scene with Ramsay where Ramsay told him Robb was dead was excellent. Made me feel a bit sorry for Theon when it happened.

I loved the dwarf scene, and mostly the acting of people affected by it. (Sansa, Loras, Tyrion, even Oberyn.)

I also think that Gwendoline Christie is awesome and underrated. Though I have a few reservations about the scene with Cersei (but hey, they were written by GRRM), her reactions were perfect, her posture conveyed all that awkwardness that Brienne experiences in a dress.

Oberyn is awesome too. "Maybe in some places the raping and murdering of innocent women is considered distasteful" is a great line.

I loved that 5-second friendship scene between Ramsay and Locke. Roose has a great dynamic with his son too.

"So I heard you chopped the Kingslayer's hand off?"

"Yeah, bro. Heard you chopped Theon Greyjoy's dick off?"

"Yeah, bro."

*fist bump*

I thought Lena Headey gave a great performance. I liked the little touch of pushing Jaime away from Joffrey, too.

Agreed. I know some are complaining that she should have wailed, but I loved the "in shock and denial" reaction; and especially how venomous Cersei was when she looked at Tyrion. She literally spat at the guards to seize him.

I enjoyed Melisandre's expressions during the awkward dinner scene. It really seemed like she wished both Stannis and Selyse would get their heads on straight, and that until they did she wished they would stop inviting her to dinner.

Jamie calling his son Joffrey. Has that ever happened before?

"the-fuck's-position" replacing sexposition? Last week we had Hound-as-viewer with "What the fuck's a Lommy?" This week we had Locke-as-viewer with "Who the fuck's Jon Snow?" (Although I really hope that last question isn't necessary for even the dimmest of viewers.) Maybe next week we'll have "Who the fuck's Daenerys?" to sort out the Khaleesi/Dany confusion.

Stormbringer! Maybe Elric will turn out to be the Great Other.

Finding out that Jamie knew he would no longer be a good fighter. Last week I had the impression he just hadn't clued in yet, which could also have worked, but I like how this week he demonstrated that Tyrion's the only person he trusts with that kind of information. Good to see their relationship re-established after, what, three seasons without dialogue between the two of them?

Horror/amusement at the opening hunting scene: "happy" that they're making Ramsey a true monster now. Yes, he was of course a monster to Theon last season, but that could have been seen as karmically justified. And amused at that scene because I knew how the episode was going to end: "Hm, they're really trying to set up a new villain, aren't they? Gee, I wonder why that would be necessary?"

Roose speaking about Theon/Reek in the third person. "This was Balon Greyjoy's son and heir." Cold.

Dontos's hat. WTF was that?! He looked like a muppet popping up beside Sansa. In a good way.

Love Brienne's face in reaction to Cersei. Cersei's not sure what it means (well, she thinks she knows, but she's probably wrong, because she's Cersei), and Brienne's not sure what she's thinking, and most of the viewers in the forum don't seem sure either. I think only Gwendolyn Christie knows. Love it when acting can be wonderfully ambiguous like that.

The fact that both episodes thus far have basically ended with the same emotional arc for the viewer:

"Yeah! Go Arya! Go Starks! Woo hoo! ... Oh, wait ... Uh, I'm not sure if I should be enjoying this ... OK, I'm cheering for a sweet little girl becoming a sociopathic killer ... that's not right."

"Yeah! F*ck you, Joffrey! That's some vengeance! ... Oh, wait ... Uh, I'm not sure if I should be enjoying this ... OK, I'm cheering for a teenager who's bleeding out of every facial orifice and turning all kinds of weird colours ... that's not right."

The TV show is giving us just what we think we want, and then making us wonder if we really should have wanted it. Sort of like what GRRM did with Arya and Sansa. Well, without the constant risk of death.

Archived