Small questions v.10081

Angalin

She's charged with killing a god?

“Deicide?” She almost laughed. “When did I kill a god?”

“The High Septon speaks for the Seven here on earth. Strike at him, and you are striking at the gods themselves.” -ADwD p. 727

Two ideas:

1) this is the sound of Viserion and Rhaegal making noises in the makeshift dragon pit, possible digging the nests

2) some skullduggery going on in the back passageways of the Great Pyramid.

ETA: On re-reading and doing some checking in ADwD, it is almost definitely Viserion digging the nest.

Thanks that makes sense now!

Two ideas:

1) this is the sound of Viserion and Rhaegal making noises in the makeshift dragon pit, possible digging the nests

2) some skullduggery going on in the back passageways of the Great Pyramid.

ETA: On re-reading and doing some checking in ADwD, it is almost definitely Viserion digging the nest.

Or, it is the sons of the harpy, trying to let Dany know how close they are?

Could be the same reason Mormont did, because he believed the Night's Watch is important (which is indicated by his dialogue, too) and knew that it's failing, so he wanted to help.

Mormont joined the watch because he wanted to pass on his lands and title to his son, Jorah.

Does anyone know why the Titan of Braavos's sword is broken? This detail even made it on to the show. It seems like it was made that way rather than having snapped off.

We are told that it took 3 generations of stone masons to carve the bottom portion of the titan, and also that Bravos is the richest of the free cities, and that it has not been attacked since the century of blood, 300-400 years ago. So I either agree with you that the sword is intentionally broken, or the sword continually broke many times and they decided it was a waste to keep rebuilding it.

Does anyone know why the Titan of Braavos's sword is broken? This detail even made it on to the show. It seems like it was made that way rather than having snapped off.

This was asked a few days ago as well, and these were the idea's we came up with then:

Do we know why the sword of the Titan of Braavos is broken? Friend asked me and I honestly don't remember. Can't find it in books either.

I don't believe it's in the books, though I suspect that it might be in the World Book. Braavos was a secret city, and upon its discovery, there might have been fighting going on at Braavos. But to enter Braavos, you have to pass the Titan, so that's where fighting will have taken place.

Or, perhaps a less exciting version of the story, the Titan's sword fell down during its construction, and it was never rebuild.

I'm hoping for something like the first option :)

I would think age+gravity if nothing else.

She has the hairnet as far as I know. At least, I recall she kept it when she and Dontos fled. No idea about how many were the strangler, but I imagine all of them, or how would Olenna know which to take

She has the hairnet as far as I know. At least, I recall she kept it when she and Dontos fled. No idea about how many were the strangler, but I imagine all of them, or how would Olenna know which to take

I figured they would all be too. The wiki Sansa makes it sounds like only one of the amethysts were the poison.

This was asked a few days ago as well, and these were the idea's we came up with then:

Thanks.

At the moment I'm wondering whether it represents the Braavosi version of AA or the LH.

While it is possible that age and gravity caused the sword to break there could be a possibility that it was intentionally built that way. The Second Sons fought at Qohor some 400 years ago against the first Dothraki Khalasar to venture east after The Doom. They appear to have already been an established company by then.

Their sigil happens to be a broken sword and the first commander of the Second Sons we meet is Mero aka the Titans bastard and Braavos is known as the bastard son of Valyria. Perhaps this points to a connection between the two. Their sigil could have influenced or been influenced by The Titan of Braavos, or they could have a common source.

I'm not sure what this would all mean if it was intentionally built that way. Perhaps a LoTR parallel (Isildur/Narsil/Sauron) exists. The Titan representing a warrior who defeated someone/something evil and broke his sword in the process. :dunno: Another interesting titbit; Syrio Forel, a former first sword of Braavos, ends up with a broken [wooden] sword in AGoT.

While it is possible that age and gravity caused the sword to break there could be a possibility that it was intentionally built that way. The Second Sons fought at Qohor some 400 years ago against the first Dothraki Khalasar to venture east after The Doom. They appear to have already been an established company by then.

Their sigil happens to be a broken sword and the first commander of the Second Sons we meet is Mero aka the Titans bastard and Braavos is known as the bastard son of Valyria. Perhaps this points to a connection between the two. Their sigil could have influenced or been influenced by The Titan of Braavos, or they could have a common source.

I hadn't make the connection with the SS. Nice! thanks!

In the Mercy WoW sample chapter

Arya interacts with a dwarf that I've seen referred to as Tyrion. But he (Bonobo? Bobono? I can't remember...) was described with his nose. So surely not, right? Or have I missed something?

Also, was anyone else creeped out about

Arya's interactions with Raff the Sweetling?

They say never drink with Dornishmen when the moon is full. Was the moon full when Quentyn tried to steal the dragons?

Only mention of a moon phase that I could find in the Quent chapters was way before that:

That night the Windblown made camp beside the shore of Slaver’s Bay. Frog drew the first watch and was sent to guard the horse lines. Gerris

met him there just after sundown, as a half-moon shone upon the waters.

Also Dany's last chapter there is a crescent moon, but I don't remember if that chapter spans two weeks or not.

In the Mercy WoW sample chapter

Arya interacts with a dwarf that I've seen referred to as Tyrion. But he (Bonobo? Bobono? I can't remember...) was described with his nose. So surely not, right? Or have I missed something?

Also, was anyone else creeped out about

Arya's interactions with Raff the Sweetling?

They play Mercy is in reenacts several events in King's Landing, where, amongst others, Tyrion played a role. Bobono is a dwarf playing the role of Tyrion in the play. That's why some people reference to the dwarf as Tyrion. They are referring to the character he's playing. He's not secretly Tyrion ;)

Archived