Discussing the possibility of Young griff being cut

reddy95

I obviously don't know what will happen in the show, but if I had anything to say, I'd cut him.

It's far too difficult for a show that had neither flashbacks nor provided considerable backstory to introduce a new character that nobody really cares about and who is solely based on backstory. Sure, you had a tiny bit of what Oberyn said last season, but that's no comparison to his intensive (albeit subtle) introduction in the books. And even in the books a lot of people had a hard time caring about him.

Cutting Aegon out completely would be the worst decision D&D ever made. Aegon has been foreshadowed since the first book George said....hes pretty freaking important. Hes endgame material. You cant cut the endgame when D&D said they endgame will be the same just differnet ways of getting there.

Aegon has to be in, maybe he wont be Young Griff in the shy maid with his Psuedo Father, he can be masquerading as someone else, but Aegon Targaryen has to be in the show.

Has this show ever kept an important casting secret? Or any casting really? They are pretty far into filming S5 and there's still no sign of him.

Maybe they are waiting for S6 for some reason...we can hope. Tyrion's conversations with Varys and Illyrio in the early part of the season should make it clear if the show plans to introduce Aegon eventually or not.

Has this show ever kept an important casting secret? Or any casting really? They are pretty far into filming S5 and there's still no sign of him.

Maybe they are waiting for S6 for some reason...we can hope. Tyrion's conversations with Varys and Illyrio in the early part of the season should make it clear if the show plans to introduce Aegon eventually or not.

Somebody in here can fill in the details - but Ramsay was one case where it was semi-secret.

Anyway, I think the showrunners could just cut out Aegon and make Varys's (and Illyrio's, if he returns) masterplan to put Daenerys on IT. Through the first 4.5 books that was what I assumed their endgame was. (Heck, for all we know, it's still their endgame!)

Still think there is a slight chance of him appearing in Season 5, if not Season 6.

I think they might push him back due to amount of new characters they are already introducing (along with the Greyjoys). And Tyrion will meet him when he goes out and searched for Dany (who I believe will be at the end of her Dance plot by the end of this season, if she isn't, she send Tyrion somewhere to prove he is loyal and will run into him).

If he is cut, then I stand my belief that George has asked them to cut stuff out of the TV show so book readers still get some surprises.

If I was overseeing the development of the show I would probably make one bold change where Young Griff is involved given the fact he most likely won't be in season 5.

Spoiler
Let's say Dany does fly out of the pit in episode 9 or 10 of season 5. Then in the season 6 premiere reveal instead of the Shy Maid, JonCon and Aegon have been riding with a Dothraki horde for a while. After all, in JonCon's pov he talks about how the plan keeps changing and originally Viserys was supposed to get a horde of Dothraki screamers to help them take the West. I would have Dany get taken by this horde and while there meet Aegon and they go into Westeros together. Not a perfect change but it can be worked with I think.

If Aegon is cut, then there may be a possibility that Trystane may take his role, and Doran's masterplan is to put Trystane on the IT ruling through Myrcella, so in other words a much bigger queenmaker plot, its a stretch but a possibility none the less. As Aegon is most likely to get Dorne's support, so D&D may have thought to simplify the plot, as this Trystane is not the same kid losing Cyvase. And Varys's plan the whole time was to put Trystane on the throne, so he hires the GC and with Dorne have a big force to take on the Tyrell/Lannister alliance

If he has been delayed to s6, bit of a waste as he could have been involved in 2 scenes, but he would need to be teased by Varys, and beginning of s6 arrives in Stormlands. Dany will keep her storyline or pretty close to it, and speeding it up a little bit.

If Aegon is cut, then there may be a possibility that Trystane may take his role, and Doran's masterplan is to put Trystane on the IT ruling through Myrcella, so in other words a much bigger queenmaker plot, its a stretch but a possibility none the less. As Aegon is most likely to get Dorne's support, so D&D may have thought to simplify the plot, as this Trystane is not the same kid losing Cyvase. And Varys's plan the whole time was to put Trystane on the throne, so he hires the GC and with Dorne have a big force to take on the Tyrell/Lannister alliance

If he has been delayed to s6, bit of a waste as he could have been involved in 2 scenes, but he would need to be teased by Varys, and beginning of s6 arrives in Stormlands. Dany will keep her storyline or pretty close to it, and speeding it up a little bit.

Why would Varys want Trystane on the throne?

• 5 weeks later...

I cant think of a way they cut Aegon out. And the reason is pretty simple, what the hack should Tyrion do if he is cut? It is foreshadowed that Tyrion meets Danerys at the end of the Season. As Tyrion beeing the Viewers favorite and the stuff he does with Ilyrio and the "Griff Gang" is just great, they cant miss it. I think they would fail if they give Tyrion a exlcusive new Show story to meet up with Daenerys.
But I think that they will surely shorten his Trip and remove some parts. We knew that Tyrion shows up at the Arena and there is a big Chance that we see the long Bridge in Volantis. But the Story between these two events will be cut I guess.

So for me a perfect roadplan for Tyrions story line would be

E01 Arrival in Pentos and meeting with Ilyrio and Varys
E02 Varys says good bye, Ilyrio and Tyrion traveling to the Rhoyne, and we learn some stuff about I&V's Plans
E03 They meet up the Crew of the Boat on the Rhoyne and the Journey begins
E04 Tyrion has the Cyrvasse Game with Haldon or an Replacement and after revealing YG as Aegon the Stonemen are coming
E05 Tyrion visists the Brothel and get caught by Mormont
E06 Mormont and Tyrion arriving in Volantis
E07 M&T travelling to Meeren
E08 They figure out a way to get involved in the Arena thing
E09 Arena thing ^^
E10 The Griff Connections shows up in the Stormlands... We see Elephants in the Rainwood. Tyrion and Mormont meeting Dany in Person. They try driving Dany to team up with Aegon and so Daenerys finaly leaves Meeren and let her King reign

I cant think of a way they cut Aegon out. And the reason is pretty simple, what the hack should Tyrion do if he is cut? It is foreshadowed that Tyrion meets Danerys at the end of the Season. As Tyrion beeing the Viewers favorite and the stuff he does with Ilyrio and the "Griff Gang" is just great, they cant miss it. I think they would fail if they give Tyrion a exlcusive new Show story to meet up with Daenerys.

But I think that they will surely shorten his Trip and remove some parts. We knew that Tyrion shows up at the Arena and there is a big Chance that we see the long Bridge in Volantis. But the Story between these two events will be cut I guess.

So for me a perfect roadplan for Tyrions story line would be

E01 Arrival in Pentos and meeting with Ilyrio and Varys

E02 Varys says good bye, Ilyrio and Tyrion traveling to the Rhoyne, and we learn some stuff about I&V's Plans

E03 They meet up the Crew of the Boat on the Rhoyne and the Journey begins

E04 Tyrion has the Cyrvasse Game with Haldon or an Replacement and after revealing YG as Aegon the Stonemen are coming

E05 Tyrion visists the Brothel and get caught by Mormont

E06 Mormont and Tyrion arriving in Volantis

E07 M&T travelling to Meeren

E08 They figure out a way to get involved in the Arena thing

E09 Arena thing ^^

E10 The Griff Connections shows up in the Stormlands... We see Elephants in the Rainwood. Tyrion and Mormont meeting Dany in Person. They try driving Dany to team up with Aegon and so Daenerys finaly leaves Meeren and let her King reign

yes but we have pictures of tyrion and jorah on a boat which seems to be sailign down the rhoyne...the griff crew is no where to be found there...im still holding out hope we get young griff and i still am trying to be positive it does happen, but i think we will be introduced differently.

I think he's been cut, it would be too last minuted if FAegon just appeared abruptly in season 6, so he had to be introduced in season 5, given that there has been no casting announcement, it would be highly likely that he has been cut.

Furthermore, there would've been way more "have you heard of Aegon the Unworthy" and "remember the Blackfyres" type discussion between characters, to mentally prepare the Unsullied for the FAegon reveal.

• 2 weeks later...

I can't see Varys siding with Dany. Of course, anything is possible, and it wouldn't be the first show deviation. Though, it would be a shame to omit the Blackfyre angle. If the show reveals FAegon like Ramsay, a season later and in a different fashion, perhaps we'll get the reveal through Varys in Season 6.

I wish they could keep the Book version of Aegon's story intact,

but if this is not the case I can see 2 options of AEGON Solution on the show:

1 – "Radical" - They cut not only Aegon as a character, but the entire Backfire/Varys conspiracy plot. Instead they go for simplified concept – Varys and Illirio are just (pro-targ?) political schemers (well Varys might even have some political, messianic Lenin-Robespiere ideas of common good, perfect leader, etc..). For a long time they have been in a league with Dornish (or maybe only with Doran) to train and install an "ideal king" (Trystane) on the Iron Throne. So the plan is to marry Danny to Trystane, using her dragons and her Targaryen claim as a fast-track to get Trystane on the throne. But things go sour between Trystane and Danny (maybe because Trystane falls for Myrcella, besides the Dornish might decide not to wait for Dannys delayed arrival and use Myrcella to get Trystane on the throne) and when danny finally arrives Trystane meets fate similar to Aegon in the books.

2– "Conservative" - They keep Aegon – but delay his entrance – and also change the circumstances we meet him: They just mention him several times throughout the Season 5 (maybe discussing/remaining us of what happened to Rhaegar's children - and having Varys deliver his big speech at the Season's finale) and then have him appear in Season 6 either in Essos or directly in Dorn or KL.

A cool idea to end the season would be Varys shooting Kevan, then telling him all about Aegon, who we just know as Young Griff the whole time, the next scene we see a coastal castle being taken and Targaryen banners being hung from the walls with Aegon in full Targaryen armour looking down at a Blackwater size fleet of Golden Company sellswords coming ashore. Even taking Dragonstone would be an idea.

Oh well, maybe he's not that important so they cut him.

Archived