No Arianne Martell?

lyannaisalive

At this point I think we all have to realize that the book is different than the show. And I don't think we should complain about all these changes, there could be many reasons such as the budget they have. Lets not forget, magic and dragons are going to play a bigger role so the budget is going to get tighter, plus more locations and more characters. Making a show from a book isn't so easy.

The complaints are valid. IF the budget was no issue when casting 3 sand snakes then there is no reason why Arianne couldn't have been cast. You can understand not casting someone like coldhands but Arianne is a big change

You left out that hilariously shit scene involving Yara and Ramsay. wtf was that all about?

It was a required scene to fill a quota and helped establish how far gone into Reek Theon had progressed. But first and foremost, it fulfilled a screen time quota similar to the fact that Olenna had meetings with damn near everyone in King's Landing. Agents negotiated specifics. Many seem to be forgetting the business of the series and are ignoring the fact that if there is an 8th season it will mean contracts for every main character would have been renegotiated and the cost would no doubt be astronomical which would probably greatly reduce the actors that would be shown in that additional season.

This is excellent news.

It means the show makers are thinking ahead to the future and are willing to make tough decisions that fly in the face of GRRM. Its good to see that they have wrestled control of the series from him and are ready to call bull on what is important plot wise and what is filler. Obviously Arrianes role was a lot less substantial than we originally assumed and that Quentyns journey was a dead end.

I am also glad that it confirms that D&D and HBO understand the weaknesses of the last two books and are more willing to make changes here.

The complaints are valid. IF the budget was no issue when casting 3 sand snakes then there is no reason why Arianne couldn't have been cast. You can understand not casting someone like coldhands but Arianne is a big change

They might be combining Arriane's arc with theirs and that would seem logical if their budget is tight.

They might be combining Arriane's arc with theirs and that would seem logical if their budget is tight.

I really think it's time budgeting more than money since they'll already be on set at Dorne.

3 Sand Snakes are not necessary more expensive then one Arianne. Including Arianne means to include Aegon, JonCon, possibly other followers, their naval travelesque and battles...That would be x-times more expansive then cost of hiring 3 young actresses who might be cast anyway for essencial plot reasons. And financial costs may be even less important then amount of valuable screentime this storyline would require.

Yeah I think its because the Sand Snakes go to Kings Landing with our old characters whereas Arriane only acts to bring Aegon into the Dornish fold and act as a Davos POV.

Plus audience will relate a lot more to oberyns daughters rather than the new guys daughter.

Yeah I think its because the Sand Snakes go to Kings Landing with our old characters whereas Arriane only acts to bring Aegon into the Dornish fold and act as a Davos POV.

This.

And financial costs may be even less important then amount of valuable screentime this storyline would require.

And this.

It's not logical though. Logical would have been to do it the other way round or just have 2 sand snakes.

Maybe GRRM stressed on there being at least 3 sand snakes, and lets be real it would be more marketable for the show to have 3 female assassins (Charlie's angels anyone?) rather than two.

Point being we don't know what constraints they have in making this season, so criticisms of castings a this point really won't solve anything. For all we know this is the best solution within the constraints they are under.

3 Sand Snakes are not necessary more expensive then one Arianne. Including Arianne means to include Aegon, JonCon, possibly other followers, their naval travelesque and battles...That would be x-times more expansive then cost of hiring 3 young actresses who might be cast anyway for essencial plot reasons. And financial costs may be even less important then amount of valuable screentime this storyline would require.

And this ^^

She's a major PoV; her exclusion is the first big deviation that they'll have made (no LS would be up there too, but that's not 100% yet). I don't think it was a decision made based on money, but rather one based on narrative. They know where the plots need to go, and only have 30 hours to get there. It's not to say she won't have an impact in the books, but this is a pretty good indication that Arianne doesn't make it to the end.

It was a required scene to fill a quota and helped establish how far gone into Reek Theon had progressed. But first and foremost, it fulfilled a screen time quota similar to the fact that Olenna had meetings with damn near everyone in King's Landing. Agents negotiated specifics. Many seem to be forgetting the business of the series and are ignoring the fact that if there is an 8th season it will mean contracts for every main character would have been renegotiated and the cost would no doubt be astronomical which would probably greatly reduce the actors that would be shown in that additional season.

I know why that scene was there but that doesn't take away from the fact that is was horrendously executed and ended up being comical.

Maybe GRRM stressed on there being at least 3 sand snakes, and lets be real it would be more marketable for the show to have 3 female assassins (Charlie's angels anyone?) rather than two.

Point being we don't know what constraints they have in making this season, so criticisms of castings a this point really won't solve anything. For all we know this is the best solution within the constraints they are under.

And this ^^

Are you seriously telling me anyone would really care if there were 2 assassins instead of 3? I repeat there is no logic to having all the sand snakes and not Arianne. It just does not make sense.

That's not a valid excuse. Casting Arianne does not mean they have to cast Aegon (though he's another character who should be there). Even not taking into account Arainne's WoW exploits, even her arc from the feast adds a nice element to Dorne. It's certainly hell of a lot better than the love story they have planned. A bit of simplification is understandable but this is taking it too far.

And quite frankly given the amount of minutes they waste with inane bollocks, lack of time is something they should not complain about at all.

What I don't get is...

The Golden Company has been mentioned multiple times and they mentioned in show that Jorah served in the company (what he will do in season 5).

The GC is Aegons army. If its in, hes in.

But then if Arriane brings them together than why would they cut her? Unless they simplify things and say that Doran was always part of the Varys/Illyrio conspiracy. Thus negating the need for a meeting. That could have big implications for faegon theory. What if they lied to him and Doran actually raised faegon in secret as his own nephew? That would make the betrayel all the more harsher when the truth gets out.

So no need for a meet and greet.

Also, it shouldn't be ruled out that Obara=Arriane to all intents and purposes and will marry Aegon/ become Dorans heir after Trys bites the dust. So wish I could talk about WoW preview chapters but with no darkstar it seems unusual to keep Obara.

I'm going to laugh when its finally revealed that Arianne is in fact in Season 5. Book fans will momentarily rejoice, until they hear that Arianne is Trystane's younger sister, that the Queenmaker plot will probably be proposed/carried out by Tyene who got the idea from her farther (she made mention of this in a convo with Doran in AFFC so the deviation wouldn't be that far-fetched), and Arianne will likely become the ruler of Dorne at the end of the story.

I have this horrible feeling that D&D are going to really try and play up this Trys and Myrcella relationship, trying to possibly emulate Tristan and Isolde relationship to fill the void of the Jon/Ygritte dynamic of seasons 2-4. If this really turns out to be the case, why not just go with James Franco as Trys? Age the SOB up, and throw in some Dornish-kush jokes while you're at it.

Plus audience will relate a lot more to oberyns daughters rather than the new guys daughter.

It's what I was thinking too. I guess that's the reason because if it was only about money they could have cast 2 sand snakes and Arianne, financially that's still 3 young female actors.

Are you seriously telling me anyone would really care if there were 2 assassins instead of 3? I repeat there is no logic to having all the sand snakes and not Arianne. It just does not make sense.

Obviously that wasn't my main point, it's something I just threw in there as an extra possible reason. Point is we don't know what constrains they are under so we have no right to complain until further details are revealed, for all we know this is the best solution.

Cause there is no reason to remove Arianne unless they are under some sort of constraint.

Archived