BR/Bran theories...any to share?

I know Bran's arc hasn't been everyone's favorite around here but I'm personally fascinated by how it will end. Also I've really enjoyed a lot of his story so far for example the old nan stories, meeting the reeds and coldhands, his experience when Theon takes Winterfell and especially his role in A Dance where he finally meets BR. Those chapters were some of the best in the series IMO and seeing the COTF was especially awesome. My question is are their any real theories about what BR's true motives are since he is such a strange character to figure out with the info we are given and since their seems to be a theory about everything. Obviously Bran is key to the fight with the Others and BR knows this. But are their other intentions as well? Is Bran in for a trap or is he going to become more powerful than BR ever was? BR himself fascinates me being this ruthless sorcerer who's like a bad ass warrior Varys and was hand to multiple kings. A targ who embraces the old gods.

So anyways what does everyone think of this relationship or are you all just as curious as me or maybe you don't care at all, let a brother know!

^^^ Ser Robert Strong is my presumption

Agree with OP that while it makes for tricky TV I enjoy reading Brans chapters for the great insight

I do find this intriguing, presumably BR might be an Aegon supporter if he wants a Blackfyre still, though he could have moved far beyond those politics into the greater battle with the Others

From this perspective we have a curious blend of Ice (Bran) and Fire (Brynden Rivers) in this arc

Bloodraven is the most ruthless character in the series, he is set on saving the realm from the Others. He will do whatever it takes, sacrificing anything as required.

Bran is perhaps the most benevolent character in the series. His arc is a question of will he "stop playing the boy" and end up accepting the hard sacrifices BR's plan will entail, or will he reject BR's way and forge his own.

Bran will guide Jon in defence of the realm, which will see Jon march South. They will require the whole realm to defend the realm, and specifically Bran will require Tyrion's help, as Tyrion will hold the dragons, and Bran will need them.

Bran will learn lots of love and what people have done for love. Through his visions he will probably learn something of love from Dunk, which we're yet to know of, and likely he'll see how BR fought wars and killed a brother for the love of a sister. He will certainly learn how his aunt and the crown prince inadvertently started a war and ended a dynasty for love. And then there's Meera, what he would do for her love, or perhaps worryingly what he does do.

It all leads to Jaime, and judgement of Jaime. When Jon brings Jaime before a weirwood to answer for his crimes, specifically his crime against Bran, Bran will understand "the things I do for love" why Jaime did what he did, and Bran will not condemn him to death. Maybe he'll just make him take the black.

I'm more interested in his visions though,

He looked south, and saw the great blue-green rush of the Trident. He saw his father pleading with the king, his face etched with grief. He saw Sansa crying herself to sleep at night, and he saw Arya watching in silence and holding her secrets hard in her heart. There were shadows all around them. One shadow was dark as ash, with the terrible face of a hound. Another was armored like the sun, golden and beautiful. Over them both loomed a giant in armor made of stone, but when he opened his visor, there was nothing inside but darkness and thick black blood.

I wonder who is this man with darkness and thick black blood in his helm.

I have difficulty with this.

On one hand, the description (even without the black blood thing) fits the mountain really well. "A giant in armour of stone" is a pretty good description of a mountain. The question is, how does it all fit together with the vision in general?

Doesn't Melisandre say that Bloodraven is either the Great Other or his pawn? Seems like Bloodraven is not on the side of the Seven Kingdoms.

In fact that rather makes sense. Bloodraven was basically exiled from the Seven Kingdoms when he was sent to the Wall so who knows how much he actually cares about the Seven Kingdoms? He probably resents them, much as we see many of the other brothers who got sent to the Wall.

Then we have the fact that he lured Bran away from Winterfell despite the fact that it's continously stated that there must always be a Stark in Winterfell.

I'm also a big Bran fan. He was sort of the first character I saw Westeros through and am still cheering for him.

I do have two Bran theories listed in my signature. However, neither deals with Brynden specifically, nor how he's going to fight the Others. The first is Bran will be Lord of Winterfell. The second is Bran will marry Danaerys.

I'm also a big Bran fan. He was sort of the first character I saw Westeros through and am still cheering for him.

I do have two Bran theories listed in my signature. However, neither deals with Brynden specifically, nor how he's going to fight the Others. The first is Bran will be Lord of Winterfell. The second is Bran will marry Danaerys.

That certainly would fulfill the prophecy that Danaerys will never have children

I do find this intriguing, presumably BR might be an Aegon supporter if he wants a Blackfyre still,

Did you read a different set of Dunk & Egg stories than I? Bloodraven went to great lengths to defend the Targaryens from Blackfyre attempts to take over. He was the "good Targaryen bastard" (albeit not legitimized) of his era.

If he's for anyone in particular, it'd likely be Dany. Overall I'd say he's got a bigger/grander purpose nowadays.

I think it can happen and I'd like to see too that there's an icedragon (or an undead one), Bloodraven is on the side of the Others thus we'll know more about the Others from Bloodraven, he wants to use the icedragon but Bran's warg ability is stronger than his so he made Bran to go for him. And the ancient gods (through the weirwoods) somehow connected to the Others and Bloodraven is like an intermediate between them and Bran. So Bran will warg an icedragon and attack the Wall.

I think it can happen and I'd like to see too that there's an icedragon (or an undead one), Bloodraven is on the side of the Others thus we'll know more about the Others from Bloodraven, he wants to use the icedragon but Bran's warg ability is stronger than his so he made Bran to go for him. And the ancient gods (through the weirwoods) somehow connected to the Others and Bloodraven is like an intermediate between them and Bran. So Bran will warg an icedragon and attack the Wall.

Bloodraven is not on the side of the Others; he is a greenseer, allied with the Children of the Forrest and the Old Gods. There is not precedent for skinchanging a dragon; they are magical creatures. :)

I'm thinking Bran's arc, resembling a hero's journey right down to his wizardly mentor, will ultimately see him becoming a hero for the Great Other, or whatever is controlling the Others in the north. It could be that Bran will have honed his abilities sufficient to do some long-distance warging, seizing control of Ser Strong at some point and exposing Cersei's undead champion to begin the downfall of House Lannister at the hands of the High Sparrow and his subjects.

He has the potential to become Godlike and the coolest character to the end. If his greenseeing can supercede weirwoods as the three-eyed crows says and he see through almost any plant, that's cool. The three-eyed crow says he can see but not communicate but perhaps he will become the first greenspeaker and be able to talk across time and space through weirwoods. Knowledge is power and sitting in a cave seeing all is useless but if he can impart the knowledge of the ages to Sam, Jon , whoever he has a big role.

The most intriguing plot possibility may focus on greenseeing combined with skinchanging. If he can morph into hodor, why not any other person at any other time when viewed as a greenseer? Like an avatar time machine.

Archived