Shattered Sea Trilogy II - Spoilers of "Half a King", "Half a World" & "Half a War"

The hairy bear

Regarding the geography:

I agree that there are the differences in the shape of the world can't only be explained by the inaccurancies of ancient mapmaking and there must have been a cataclismic event of some kind (it's called the shattered sea, after all).

I'm doing this map trying to compare a real world map with the locations in the trilogy. A few interesting correspondences and lots of headaches too, but so far that's what I've got.

Regarding the geography:

I agree that there are the differences in the shape of the world can't only be explained by the inaccurancies of ancient mapmaking and there must have been a cataclismic event of some kind (it's called the shattered sea, after all).

I'm doing this map trying to compare a real world map with the locations in the trilogy. A few interesting correspondences and lots of headaches too, but so far that's what I've got.

That's a very good map. My only quibble is in relation to Smolod, which is on the Divine (Dvina), whereas in real life, Smolensk is on the Dneiper (Denied.).

Blog post inspired by this thread (and the previous one).

Thorlby = Forsby (a small suburb of Gavle, north-west of Stockholm) seems pretty obvious. However, I'm not sure if the map is simply wildly inaccurate the further north you go or if the the Gulf of Bothnia has been completely closed over by land, although that seems to go against most of Finland being inundated. The Ranealven being the Rangheld is pure guesswork on my part based on the names :) Might be too far north.

I'm drawing a blank on where Orobec could be in real life. Looks like it might be on the west coast of Finland (maybe in the Ostrobothnia region) but there's no names I can see that correspond to Orobec.

I could have sworn that the Serene River was the Vistula (the name can translate as a slow-moving or slimy river), but revisiting the book it looks like the Weska is a better match. The Neman looks like the next best bet for the Serene then.

Thorlby = Forsby (a small suburb of Gavle, north-west of Stockholm) seems pretty obvious. However, I'm not sure if the map is simply wildly inaccurate the further north you go or if the the Gulf of Bothnia has been completely closed over by land, although that seems to go against most of Finland being inundated. The Ranealven being the Rangheld is pure guesswork on my part based on the names :) Might be too far north.

I'm drawing a blank on where Orobec could be in real life. Looks like it might be on the west coast of Finland (maybe in the Ostrobothnia region) but there's no names I can see that correspond to Orobec.

I could have sworn that the Serene River was the Vistula (the name can translate as a slow-moving or slimy river), but revisiting the book it looks like the Weska is a better match. The Neman looks like the next best bet for the Serene then.

Thanks. There have been geographical changes. Modern Riga isn't located on an island. Much of Metropolitan Stockholm is located on the Swedish mainland. But, I don't doubt that the quality of maps has also deteriorated.

It's a nice touch, to have us being thought of as magical beings by people living in a much less advanced future world (as I suppose we would be).

Shomel seems to be Chernobyl (which must be a famous elf-ruin). The Crimea looks as if it's now an island. The Sea of Dreams seems located in what's now Bulgaria. It seems sea-levels have risen.

Climate change and its associated upheaval came to a head in nuclear annihilation? Sounds suitably apocalyptic.

Not sure what climate change has to do with it.

Water levels rising and falling is a natural occurrence. But nukes. Ya. Seems to be the way he went with it.

Not sure what climate change has to do with it.

Water levels rising and falling is a natural occurrence. But nukes. Ya. Seems to be the way he went with it.

Well, could be that the nukes caused accelerated climate change, further changing the landscape by certain bodies of water either receding or expanding. Or, could be that the nukes and climate change together led to the map being kindof funky.

A sufficiently large nuclear conflict might well have a big impact on climate, although I think it would be more likely to cause temperatures to drop, causing sea levels to fall, rather than to rise.

Are we supposed to have any idea what Thorn's bangle is? It changes color with her mood, it has an assortment of circles on it, and you cannot take it off (at least without breaking it). That doesn't sound like anything I'm aware of.

Are we supposed to have any idea what Thorn's bangle is? It changes color with her mood, it has an assortment of circles on it, and you cannot take it off (at least without breaking it). That doesn't sound like anything I'm aware of.

Well, it's got to be the far distant future, yes? So maybe something we haven't yet invented?

Also, I wondered whether it had to be nukes or could just be climate change + seismic activity (though you'd think the seismic activity would have more or less leveled Istanbul). I thought there were some faults up in the North Sea/in Sweden/Finland (not like in Iceland and where the African/Eurasian plates and African/Eurasian/Arabian plates meet, but something). Also, though I'd expect suburban sprawl to deteriorate fairly quickly, given the density of Europe, wouldn't there be elf ruins (provided not underwater, like I assume happened with, e.g., all of the Netherlands) pretty much everywhere?

I think the elf ruins are supposed to be (or at least used to be) dangerous because of radiation. Isnt there something about people sickening from the airs from the ruins or.something in book 1?

ETA: this was in response to the above regarding nukes btw

Pretty sure it's a watch. Maybe a near future version of one.

Well, could be that the nukes caused accelerated climate change, further changing the landscape by certain bodies of water either receding or expanding. Or, could be that the nukes and climate change together led to the map being kindof funky.

Again, not sure why you are shoe horning climate change into the argument. Water levels naturally raise and fall over long periods of time, as do plate/continent shifts. The land scape would change, just as it has over the natural course of the Earth's existence.

Pretty sure it's a watch. Maybe a near future version of one.

I'm not sure if you're serious or not, but a watch seems pretty unlikely. Either the Empress or Thorn says that you can't take it off, and that would be a very questionable watch feature. I agree some future tech seems the most likely.

I'm not sure if you're serious or not, but a watch seems pretty unlikely. Either the Empress or Thorn says that you can't take it off, and that would be a very questionable watch feature. I agree some future tech seems the most likely.

No, i'm serious.

She never attempts to take it off, she's just told it can't come off. Dogma may be driving that 'rule'.

There are plenty of watches out /now/ that have life time illumination and batteries, not to mention the circle within a circle fits for chrono/altimeter/second/and date features.

The changing of colors is something else, but there are watches in the past that have changed colors, but seems plausible.

It does nothing, literally, nothing. Just clasped on, now power or level ups. Just sorta elf-y tech.

Again, not sure why you are shoe horning climate change into the argument. Water levels naturally raise and fall over long periods of time, as do plate/continent shifts. The land scape would change, just as it has over the natural course of the Earth's existence.

I'm not sure why you think anyone is shoehorning anything into anything. I'm saying that after a nuclear apocalypse, and several hundred/thousand(?) years in the future, the changing of the climate due to those events (nuclear apocalypse, and the general changing of the climate over time, as you say) may have contributed to the map looking different than it does now. I'm genuinely confused by this, since I'm not really saying anything other people haven't said.

No, i'm serious.

She never attempts to take it off, she's just told it can't come off. Dogma may be driving that 'rule'.

There are plenty of watches out /now/ that have life time illumination and batteries, not to mention the circle within a circle fits for chrono/altimeter/second/and date features.

The changing of colors is something else, but there are watches in the past that have changed colors, but seems plausible.

It does nothing, literally, nothing. Just clasped on, now power or level ups. Just sorta elf-y tech.

I seem to remember a description during her fight with Grom where the light is practically an X-Ray though. Maybe just because it was Brand describing it I guess

I seem to remember a description during her fight with Grom where the light is practically an X-Ray though. Maybe just because it was Brand describing it I guess

Yeah, it's way too bright to be a watch that exists right now, and that's not even going into how it's been X hundred years after the apocalypse and the thing is still working.

So, how about the actual story spoilers, eh?

Archived