Pycelle: Most underrated player?

Wavey Sauce

Or would you just say more of a survivor. But he has always been overlooked by everyone and has always stayed in a high position.

Varys would not have killed him if he did not think he was important in some way.

Tywin and Tyrion to an extent seemed to be the only ones who knew his old guy act was mostly BS

But still he always found a way to be around, but he never really advanced that much for more power until more toward his final days, so good player or great survivor?

And if not an underrated player who are some others that get looked past (no moon boy is not an option lol jk)

He's merely just a survivor. One of those who sees whose going to win and tries to be on their side.

The reason Varys kills Pycelle may have more to do with Pycelle's knowledge. Pycelle helped to deliver Aegon. If Aegon is a fake then it is possible that Pycelle could figure it out and Varys doesn't need his plans ruined that way. It is almost similar, to how Littlefinger ahd Dontos Hollard killed. He would have been a liability.

He's like the guy who hides in a corner while playing laser tag, thinking he'll win that way

Seriously, though, I think he's first and foremost a survivor, but he's also a relatively competent player, especially because I think he did a good job of pushing the Citadel's agenda.

I know many readers think he was a Tywin fanboy, but I think most of his actions can be seen as working towards the Citadel's ideals:

- He got Aerys to open the gates, which led to the downfall of the Targs, as the Citadel wanted

- Killed Jon Arryn, which in turned prevented Stannis from getting a step closer to the Iron Throne. By that time Melisandre was already in Dragonstone, so I don't think the Citadel would've liked someone magical like herself so close to a potential king

In that sense, I think he did good. And he tried to stop the Cersei trainwreck

He's merely just a survivor. One of those who sees whose going to win and tries to be on their side.

The reason Varys kills Pycelle may have more to do with Pycelle's knowledge. Pycelle helped to deliver Aegon. If Aegon is a fake then it is possible that Pycelle could figure it out and Varys doesn't need his plans ruined that way. It is almost similar, to how Littlefinger ahd Dontos Hollard killed. He would have been a liability.

I have mixed feelings about pycelle but he is definitely a survivor.

To your point about varys's motive. I think that may have factored in on it. But mostly I think it was because he, along with kevin, where the only ones left to try and contain cersie. Not that pycelle was succeeding but I think it was a good move from varys's point of view. That and his knowledge in general. He was in KL a long time and knew a lot of dirt.

I wonder if varys has any plan(s) for his replacement? I wonder if his little birds fly all the way to Oldtown? Probably.

I think Pycelle is who he seems to be: a maester raised with the values of the Citadell, complying and pretty much adcancing them without the need of some conspiracy but just because that's what he believes is the right thing. Tywin represents his ideal of a ruler and his respect for him is genuine. He is a Tywin "fanboy", for ideological reasons.

And, he's quite competent as player, as well. Not so good as to see into Tyrion's little test, but good enough to play his role all those years and have an influence there. Poor guy had to deal with Tywin's brood though...

Didn't Tywin keep Pycelle around due to the fact the Citadel wanted a Tyrell to be the next grand maester? I think Varys offed him simply because it would make Cersei believe the Tyrells were involved, and were trying to make a power play. Don't think Varys considered him much of a player.

He's like the guy who hides in a corner while playing laser tag, thinking he'll win that way

Seriously, though, I think he's first and foremost a survivor, but he's also a relatively competent player, especially because I think he did a good job of pushing the Citadel's agenda.

I know many readers think he was a Tywin fanboy, but I think most of his actions can be seen as working towards the Citadel's ideals:

- He got Aerys to open the gates, which led to the downfall of the Targs, as the Citadel wanted

- Killed Jon Arryn, which in turned prevented Stannis from getting a step closer to the Iron Throne. By that time Melisandre was already in Dragonstone, so I don't think the Citadel would've liked someone magical like herself so close to a potential king

In that sense, I think he did good. And he tried to stop the Cersei trainwreck

Wasn't it Lysa and Littlefinger killed Jon Arryn? (or is his opening up a can of worms on the forum?)

Regardless, Pycelle was the ultimate Tywin lickspittle. Even though he tried to counsel Cersei, he still did whatever she asked... at least until Kevan became Hand. I'd like to know what Pycelle's background is before becoming a maester. Wouldn't be surprised if he's connected to the Lannisters.

His WOIAF passages are very pro-Tywin as well.

Pycelle sent Jon Arryn's maester away, finishing what Littlefinger and Lysa started

True... Pycelle might have thought that Cersei did the deed and he took charge in order to protect her, so that Arryn's maester would not have the chance to observe something, suspect, and get evidence.

He didn't deliver Aegon. Aegon was born on Dragonstone.

Archived