Blackwood Genes

Moiraine Sedai

House Blackwood donated its genes to Houses Targaryen and Stark.  Targaryen genes are special and conveys many abilities to its members.  Stark genes carry the warging ability.  What did the Blackwood gene contribute to the mix?  Please name any famous Blackwood that you can think from the story.

Thanks 

M

I'm a firm believer that House Stark received their warging ability from House Blackwood when they defeated the Warg King (the Blackwood's kingly title, ie: Barrow King, Red King, King of Winter) and took their daughter's to bride. Therefore it was actually House Blackwood with the warging ability all along and the Starks mixed it in along with the Barrow King, Marsh King, and all the others. 

Warg is not unique for Stark or Blackwood. 

It happens among many people. 

But dragon stuff is unique for Targ. 

I think Blackwood gene is not very special. just regular people's genes. 

Bloodraven himself is special. 

Yeah, warging is more like a First Men thing, I guess

But what dragon stuff do you mean? Targ blood helps riding a dragon, sure, but dragon riding is not exclusive to Targs and their bastards (see: Nettles), and while "dragon/prophetic" dreams are common in Targs, I don't think they're exclusive to them either because

I don't think House Toland, for example, has an extensive wealth of Targ blood, and yet Teora Toland appears to have these sort of dreams

Yeah, warging is more like a First Men thing, I guess

But what dragon stuff do you mean? Targ blood helps riding a dragon, sure, but dragon riding is not exclusive to Targs and their bastards (see: Nettles), and while "dragon/prophetic" dreams are common in Targs, I don't think they're exclusive to them either because

Hidden Content

Nettles was said as dragon seed rider in the world book. She just did not have a targ look. So people may feel confused. 

It looks like Targ blood or gene is indeed necessary for dragon riding and dragon dreaming. This is quite unique. 

This is because they are one of the forty houses who can raise and ride dragons. And other 39 houses all died. 

For house toland, I think the little fat girl did have some targ blood from somewhere. Maybe Martell?

We will be told some day. 

Nettles was said as dragon seed rider in the world book. She just did not have a targ look. So people may feel confused. 

It looks like Targ blood or gene is indeed necessary for dragon riding and dragon dreaming. This is quite unique. 

This is because they are one of the forty houses who can raise and ride dragons. And other 39 houses all died. 

For house toland, I think the little fat girl did have some targ blood from somewhere. Maybe Martell?

We will be told some day.

Nettles was a dragon seed?! Ugh, one more reason not to read the world book. What's wrong with a little girl who managed to ride a dragon through patience and guile instead of blood? #Justice4Nettles

It'd be hilariously ironic if House Toland ended up having some Targ blood, though, given their sigil

Nettles was a dragon seed?! Ugh, one more reason not to read the world book. What's wrong with a little girl who managed to ride a dragon through patience and guile instead of blood? #Justice4Nettles

It'd be hilariously ironic if House Toland ended up having some Targ blood, though, given their sigil

if dragon can be ridden by simply providing food, then all the glory of house Targ and dany will be heavily diminished. GRRM will not want it. 

House toland is the only house who has dragon in the sigil except Targ, if I remeber correctly. 

So they are indeed special. 

Maybe one of the Daenerys' (Daeron the Good's sister) children with her Martell husband ended up marrying one of the Tolands  

Nettles being a dragon seed is no more confirmed after the World book than it was after TPATQ. It's more or less left up to the reader to make up their own mind as far as I see it, and I do t think that will change

I'm a firm believer that House Stark received their warging ability from House Blackwood when they defeated the Warg King (the Blackwood's kingly title, ie: Barrow King, Red King, King of Winter) and took their daughter's to bride. Therefore it was actually House Blackwood with the warging ability all along and the Starks mixed it in along with the Barrow King, Marsh King, and all the others. 

where do the Blackwood and Stark lines mix?

This topic doesn't seem to want to let me quote, however Targ blood is definitely not required to ride a dragon, there were 40 dragon riding families in Valyria and the blood of Old valyria is still alive in many of the free cities.

To be accurate, yes, blood of 40 dragon riding houses are required to ride a dragon. 

But 39 died so only Targ left. That is why we say targ blood is required. It is not contradictory. 

However, blood of old valyria does not mean you can ride a dragon. 

You have to have blood from those 40 houses. 

For example, house velaryon has old valyria blood is not a dragon lord house. Whoever drive a dragon from this house, was by his targ blood which is likely originated from the grand-mother of Aegon. 

Old valyria blood-----dragon house blood

similar as

first men blood-----warging house blood

the former is much larger than the latter. 

they are not equal at all. 

I don't see why a dragon seed a couple of generations removed can ride a dragon but a Valyron who has married into house Targ multiple times cannot.  Quentyn was succeeding with the dragon he was whipping, he was burnt by a second dragon from behind, his 1 drop seemed to be enough. 

To live within the black walls of Volantis you must be able to trade your lineage back to Old Valyria, I find it highly unlikely that they weren't interbred with dragonlord families at some point.  Ghengis Khan is said to be an ancestor of like a third of Asia, it just seems implausible that there are not lots and lots of people out there with blood from families who rode dragons.

Warging and green dreams seem very much like a first men trait.  There are many houses that  mentioning warging or control over animals in their histories/myths. To say nothing of the Wildlings.

I don't see why a dragon seed a couple of generations removed can ride a dragon but a Valyron who has married into house Targ multiple times cannot.  Quentyn was succeeding with the dragon he was whipping, he was burnt by a second dragon from behind, his 1 drop seemed to be enough. 

To live within the black walls of Volantis you must be able to trade your lineage back to Old Valyria, I find it highly unlikely that they weren't interbred with dragonlord families at some point.  Ghengis Khan is said to be an ancestor of like a third of Asia, it just seems implausible that there are not lots and lots of people out there with blood from families who rode dragons.

0.5 % of the world's population is descended from Genghis Khan. I feel that the blood of old Valyria in some form is needed to ride a dragon not Targaryen blood specifically.  Much like First Men blood leads to warging and green sight not just Stark blood.

Warging and green dreams seem very much like a first men trait.  There are many houses that  mentioning warging or control over animals in their histories/myths. To say nothing of the Wildlings.

0.5 % of the world's population is descended from Genghis Khan. I feel that the blood of old Valyria in some form is needed to ride a dragon not Targaryen blood specifically.  Much like First Men blood leads to warging and green sight not just Stark blood.

Could be due to the needs of the bonding.  Having the blood of old Valyria allows one to bond with a dragon. 

where do the Blackwood and Stark lines mix?

Well if I'm correct that the Warg King was indeed a Blackwood.... When the Starks subdued the Warg King. They took his daughters to bride. Also more recently, Willam Stark married Melantha Blackwood and produced: Edwyle and Jocelyn Stark. Edwyle went on to father Rickard Stark who was Ned's father. 

Archived