NBA Season 2015/16 - Currying Favor

Relic

8 minutes ago, Relic said:

I dunno how good Walton really is, but anything is an upgrade over the Derek Fisher fucking shit show.

I don't either but at least he's coming from a successful stint and understands what it takes to help make his players great as a team. Shaw was a shit show in Denver.

41 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Karl is going to be fired. Not surprising.

Gotta love pro sports, where respected coaches get fired because the general manager drafted Tyreke Evans and Jimmer Fredette instead of the splash brothers. Or Thomas Robinson when Damian Lillard went with the next pick.

9 minutes ago, sperry said:

Gotta love pro sports, where respected coaches get fired because the general manager drafted Tyreke Evans and Jimmer Fredette instead of the splash brothers. Or Thomas Robinson when Damian Lillard went with the next pick.

I think in this case it's more Cousins hating him. The coaches we've seen fired thus far have both been guys who don't have the support of their star player. For awhile this team was actually on track for the 8th seed before falling apart in the last couple weeks.  

The other thing with the Kings is their owner is so incompetent that his minority owners are on the verge of staging a coup. This is potentially something pretty unprecedented. One of the worst things about being a sports fan is you can't fire the owner. Though if Vivek manages to get himself fired, that's an amazing moment in sports history. 

4 minutes ago, Jaime L said:

I think in this case it's more Cousins hating him. The coaches we've seen fired thus far have both been guys who don't have the support of their star player. For awhile this team was actually on track for the 8th seed before falling apart in the last couple weeks.  

The other thing with the Kings is their owner is so incompetent that his minority owners are on the verge of staging a coup. This is potentially something pretty unprecedented. One of the worst things about being a sports fan is you can't fire the owner. Though if Vivek manages to get himself fired, that's an amazing moment in sports history. 

Don't you think Cousins would like him if they weren't terrible?

2 minutes ago, sperry said:

Don't you think Cousins would like him if they weren't terrible?

I don't think so. Between Vivek bizarrely firing the coach Cousins actually loved, Mike Malone, and then bringing in a coach who immediately tried (and failed) to make a power play by trading Cousins...that relationship was DOA. Their relative early success this year just postponed the inevitable.

Anyway I agree with the larger point that Karl is getting fired due to the larger organizational dysfunction more than anything. But the guy made his own share of missteps, namely taking this job to begin with. 

Just now, Jaime L said:

I don't think so. Between Vivek bizarrely firing the coach Cousins actually loved, Mike Malone, and then bringing in a coach who immediately tried (and failed) to make a power play by trading Cousins...that relationship was DOA. Their relative early success this year just postponed the inevitable.

Anyway I agree with the larger point that Karl is getting fired due to the larger organizational dysfunction more than anything. But the guy made his own share of missteps, namely taking this job to begin with. 

I honestly think it's suicide to take a job in the NBA without personnel control. It's so much more important than what you're doing x's and o's wise on the floor that if you can't ensure you are getting the guys you want, you have zero control over your fate.

7 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

This stat is crazy:

This season, Curry is shooting 60% from beyond 28 feet. The league average from 3 feet is 59.5%.

not really. those 3 footers are usually heavily contested. 

Butler out 3-4 weeks. Bulls are inching their way towards the .500 mark and will be safely under it by the time he comes back. Ah well, at least now I hopefully won't have to see Lebron beat us in the playoffs again...or they'll sneak in as the 8 seed. 

57 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

And now the Kings have reportedly decided not to fire Karl.

Or they never decided to fire him in the first place, proving why you should react to internet rumors :P

1 hour ago, Relic said:

Or they never decided to fire him in the first place, proving why you should react to internet rumors :P

Internet rumors are half the fun. I can only muster so much excitement for Wizards-Knicks tonight. 

And hey where there's smoke there's often fire. Except in the case of the Kings. For them where there's smoke it means reactor 1 is about to meltdown. 

Marc Gasol has a fracture in his right foot and is out indefinitely.

Not as if the Grizzlies were going to make any noise in this year's Western Conference regardless, but this puts a serious damper on what had been a nice run of games since first of the year. Backup center right now is...Ryan Hollins. :wacko:

14 minutes ago, Ferrum Aeternum said:

Marc Gasol has a fracture in his right foot and is out indefinitely.

Not as if the Grizzlies were going to make any noise in this year's Western Conference regardless, but this puts a serious damper on what had been a nice run of games since first of the year. Backup center right now is...Ryan Hollins. :wacko:

Well....i guess it's time to blow it up. They should trade anyone they can and tank as hard as they can. 

7 minutes ago, Relic said:

Well....i guess it's time to blow it up. They should trade anyone they can and tank as hard as they can. 

Yeah. I'm afraid they will instead try to salvage something from this season, which likely means limping into the 7 or 8 seed and getting massacred in the first round. Plenty of tradeable assets on this team if they've got the guts to do it.

Archived