MMA & Boxing 17: And NEW

Gears of the Beast

The sooner they start taking points immediately for eyepokes the better. These guys get their warnings out the back. The second time Travis was warned in the cage was his third warning, and yet nothing from the ref. That and get those Bellator style gloves which force the fingers to curve. Meathead's such a goober I don't know whether to believe he was really seeing double after the second poke, but protection of the eyes really needs to be a much greater priority from all involved.

Cain is so annoying. I didn't really want to see this fight anyway though. I didn't think Cain should have even been given the rematch in the first place. Sucks for Stipe though. Finally gets his title shot but it's a last minute injury replacement. I don't think Cain should be allowed another title shot until he can make it through 2 fights injury free.

I was also stoked to hear of Khabib/Ferguson.

That's a damned fight!

I'd be just about evenly split on who to pick on that one, but Khabib's lay off in counter distinction to Ferguson's activity swings it to his favour imho.

Plus this weekends fight is free on regular tv. For the sport to keep growing I feel like they need to do this more often. The one thing that got me back interested in UFC was the original Ultimate Fighter season. It allowed me to know the fighters better and not see them on PPV only.

Bader's stand up is still improving, which is admirable, but he's going to have to fight very smart to beat AJ. The problem with fighting AJ is that the way to beat him is to hurt him early and take his confidence, but if you go at him early that's when he's most powerful. DC was successful at this, Gus and Phil Davis not so much. And the problem with being Ryan Bader is when he's gone at guys in the past he's gotten knocked out.

On the plus side for Bader while he doesn't have that top level freestyle/clinch game DC has, he does have one of the best double legs in the whole sport - much better than Phil Davis ever had in MMA - so there's definitely a solid weapon there at his disposal if he can get in on AJ before AJ gets momentum up, because AJ is very much a confidence fighter and we've seen him break when things haven't gone his way early.

Let's be honest though, the night is all about Super Sage. What happens in the main event is just a bonus to the real show kicking off the main card.

Despite him being the epitome of a fighter I shouldn't like, Sage Northcutt is growing on me. He gets a lot of hate and some of it I've read lately suggests he has "no personality".

Bullshit. Guy's got an almost inhumanly upbeat personality. He's perpetually overjoyed, excited, humble and respectful at all times. That's nothing like me, yet I find it unique refreshing and he's kind of winning me over.

He seems to have legit skills too. While his last fight showed exploitable holes, who doesn't have those. Taking a late change against a guy a weight class up takes some balls too imho. I don't know how he'll do, but the Junkie staff picked him unanimously in this matchup.

Fuck it. I'm bucking the hate on this one. I hope this kid ends up doing well.

I get the hate - he's kind of in that Conor/Ronda area of being one of Dana's pets, so Dana-haters get on them too - but yeah, claiming he has no personality is just flat-out dumb. The kid has more personality than anyone in the game right now aside from maybe Conor. He's literally exploding with personality.

Literally. Exploding.

Super Sage has a lot of work to do, sure, but he has time on his side.

As is often the case Rothwell was the one who grabbed my attention the most though. The guy's physical awkwardness is so intriguing. Must be a nightmare to try and read him. No movement coaches for him,

Well that's what my well wishes get you, lol.

I worked until eight so I just got in and sat down turn on the fights just as Sage submitted. I didn't see the rest of the fight but I guess from the way he was getting lampooned that he didn't look all that great up to that point. He's 19, and now he doesn't need stress about keeping that zero.

Rothwell appears well on his way to his title shot by process of elimination. Subbing the WarMaster? That's a sweet scalp.

Archived