MMA & Boxing 17: And NEW

Gears of the Beast

Hot damn DJ is magnificent. Fights in the division in which, statistically at least, it's most difficult to get finishes, fights the best of the best at that weight class and racks up 5 finishes in his last 7 fights. And one of those 2 decisions was against an Ali Bagautinov who was fueled by EPO. Just awesome.

And balls to OSP for surviving 5 rounds on 3 weeks notice against Bones, especially given his arm was broken for at least the last two rounds. Have to expect Bones will be up a level or two now he's gotten this one out of his system. Just hope he's healthy and DC gets the go from the docs so we can see that headline UFC-200.

Would be interesting to see how long it is before Whittaker and Pettis are able to walk without limping. Likely at least two weeks. At least The Reaper has a nice win bonus to take the sting off.

On 4/23/2016 at 3:10 PM, Ramsay Blow said:

Yeah. I was gonna ask you guys about Koreshkov because I've never seen him either but that was damn impressive.

Look up his fight with Ben Askren if you can find it. Follow Ben Askren on twitter while you're at it. Your life will be much improved.

DJ is incredible as usual. The Yair flying kick was fucking nuts and the Jones fight was OK.

GGG rolled through Wade as expected. Golovkin even knocked him down with a shoulder shot at one point. For fuck sakes just give him a big fight, he's not getting any younger. Hopefully they can make the Canelo fight happen.

I gotta look the Askren fight up. I saw Koreshkov's only defeat was to him and also Askren tweeting how badly he dominated the "jabroni". 

So Dana says if DC and Jones are healthy they will headline UFC 200. So we've actually ended up with a much better card. Conor vs Nate in a non title-fight rematch that no-one asked for headlining over actual champions made no damn sense. The (prospective) card looks like a big fucking deal all of a sudden. Currently fantasizing about Jones headlining UFC 200 then headlining UFC 205 in MSG against Vai Cavalo for the motherfucking heavyweight title. The King is back. 

1 hour ago, Gears of the Beast said:

So Dana says if DC and Jones are healthy they will headline UFC 200. So we've actually ended up with a much better card. Conor vs Nate in a non title-fight rematch that no-one asked for headlining over actual champions made no damn sense. The (prospective) card looks like a big fucking deal all of a sudden. Currently fantasizing about Jones headlining UFC 200 then headlining UFC 205 in MSG against Vai Cavalo for the motherfucking heavyweight title. The King is back. 

Yeah, it lacks the star power of Conor but Jones/DC makes the card great from a fan perspective. We don't have our current Lesnar but Lesnar/Mir was an actual consequential fight anyway,unlike the Nate shit.

It might still be a bigger card if Conor was on it but..that's not my problem. 

In between having Aldo and Edgar fight for the belt and therefore forcing Conor to fucking unify it against the winner if he ever wants to fight again and potential Jones/DC...this might have completely worked out for Dana and co. 

A lot of people want to see them lose this battle cause they think it has something to do with fighter's rights...but Ariel (for example) will find it much harder to credibly talk  if Jones/DC is on the card. 

Man that Jon Jones fight was one of the dullest fights I can remember watching in UFC.

He knows he wasn't good, and that was certainly visible. And still OSP didn't come close to beating him. Of course a broken arm doesn't help.

15 hours ago, Gears of the Beast said:

Conor claims to be back on UFC 200, watch poor Dana try to explain this after his "would that be fair to the fighters" drivel.

Apparently it was a lie and Dana has outed it as such. 

Ah, this saga...is it still a 'saga' if it totally seems to have been resolved?

7 minutes ago, Castel said:

Apparently it was a lie and Dana has outed it as such. 

Yah, to be fair I never thought the UFC would reinstate him but I also didn't think he would straight up lie and claim to be back on the card when he wasn't, he's starting to look desperate now 

Ah, this saga...is it still a 'saga' if it totally seems to have been resolved?

Yes, I think what we're learning is that Conor's entire career is gonna be a saga, I can't imagine things just going back to the way they were before now. 

The lie tweet was just the latest miscalculation from McGregor. A big fall from not so long ago when it seemed he could do no wrong.

On the plus side UFC-200 is much more mouth-watering now, so thanks Not So Mystic Mac I guess.

Major fights announced today.

Rumble/Glover

TJ/Assuncao Rematch

Ferguson/Chisea

Rumble is gonna put a serious hurting on Glover imo.

TJ wrecks Assuncao in the rematch.

Ferguson might be in trouble with Chisea given his propensity for fighting out of bad situations.

Nice that UFC200 is being filled out even more, but I hope everything will be shown and not that some stuff drops to the preliminary card and I cannot see it.

Rumble vs Teixeira will join Holly Holm vs Shevchenko as the headliner for UFC on Fox on July 23rd. Really looking forward to Rumble vs Teixeira, two fantastic fighters.

6 minutes ago, Calibandar said:

Rumble vs Teixeira will join Holly Holm vs Shevchenko as the headliner for UFC on Fox on July 23rd. Really looking forward to Rumble vs Teixeira, two fantastic fighters.

This is something they need to keep doing, putting live fights on free tv. Best way to keep building a fan base. I watched UFC 1 and 2 (teenager I think) but really hit and miss after that until The Ultimate Fighter came out. That got me more involved in it because I didn't have to pay 60 to decide if I like something or not. They need to keep putting on free shows say, once monthly, young up and coming fighters, so that once they are ready for the title fights us casual fans know them better and are willing to pay for it.

1 hour ago, dbunting said:

This is something they need to keep doing, putting live fights on free tv. Best way to keep building a fan base. I watched UFC 1 and 2 (teenager I think) but really hit and miss after that until The Ultimate Fighter came out. That got me more involved in it because I didn't have to pay 60 to decide if I like something or not. They need to keep putting on free shows say, once monthly, young up and coming fighters, so that once they are ready for the title fights us casual fans know them better and are willing to pay for it.

???

They put on free fight cards *all the time*. The majority of UFC cards are on FS1 like the card this weekend which has some solid fights. 'UFC on FOX' cards are more infrequent but are almost always stacked as fuck and occasionally have title fights on them.

Archived