Dating: Hell is Other People

I've been on dates with three 99% matches. One I really liked but it seems the feeling wasn't mutual because I couldn't pin him down to a second date; one I still text and I think we're headed in a friends type direction; and one was a bit of a self-absorbed dick. Which, really, is probably a fairly accurate reflection of the things I love, like and can't stand about myself :P

9 hours ago, Theda Baratheon said:

You're not liking the UK very much are you :lol: 

What part you living in? 

but yeah, i'm in the same boat...but i'm also extremely drunk on nights out. :lol: 

Haha, I'm just nitpicking the bad things I guess, it's certainly not the hell hole I've been making it out to be.

I'm living in Cambridge

8 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

A popular recommendation here is just to go out and do things you enjoy. Join a club, or a gym, do one of those meet-up thingies, visit some museums, stuff like that. That way you meet people with shared interests, which is always a bonus. You get at least one common ground!

Dog walking is also a great way to meet new people, some of who you may eventually go on a date with. A dog really is a perfect ice breaker. I freely admit to being very award socially and struggling to initiate and hold a proper conversation. But when I'm walking the dog it's easy to start talking to someone (what breed is he? How old? Isn't he gorgeous etc) and from there, things have in the past built up to a date (this was another dog walker and our walks coincided so we saw each other most days, to be clear). 

That's a good idea, I do get asked a lot about my dog as people seem to love Labradors :P

So, she texted me today and asked if we could meet this evening already. I wish I could have agreed, but I already had a business meeting for the evening and couldn't really resign from that obligation. And I'm at my parent's this weekend. So all I could really answer was "I'm sorry to say I already got some plans for tonight as well as the rest of the week. Unless you care to hang around until 9pm waiting for me, it's probably not meant to be today. Still, looking forward to meeting you asap next week. And if you want to talk, you got my number ;)"

Hope that wasn't too disappointing for her. Just some dumb bad luck :-/

I would have made clear you being busy all week wasn't a- your secret girlfriend or b- the dozens of other girls you are seeing. I wouldn't consider it a big deal but I'd be less interested in a guy who I thought might have another date every night of the week

On 3.3.2016 at 2:44 AM, Knute said:

Not really a fan of online dating, which I guess limits my options somewhat. I'd much prefer to meet someone on a night out but it's pretty hard with me currently being in the UK and everyone on "nights out" being drunk.

How's that different from Norway? :P

Point taken. I did spend some time in Oxford a few months back, the scene had a strange vibe to it (although to be fair I didn't explore it much either). Perhaps book shops is a good place to start in Cambridge?

56 minutes ago, Theda Baratheon said:

lmao I do think it's probably weird for some people coming to the Uk and seeing us all just getting trashed in pubs :lol: saturday night in cardiff is one of my favourite things ever LMAO. 

Weirdly enough, if you want to go to a country to experience people(and yourself) getting trashed in pubs/clubs, you should go to South Korea. On average, a guy from the US drinks 3 shots of hard liquor per week. Russians drink 6. South Koreans drink 14.

17 minutes ago, CorwinusJ said:

Weirdly enough, if you want to go to a country to experience people(and yourself) getting trashed in pubs/clubs, you should go to South Korea. On average, a guy from the US drinks 3 shots of hard liquor per week. Russians drink 6. South Koreans drink 14.

I'm way up on the bell curve then for Americans ;)  

In other news, been in daily contact with Deadpool Girl... we had tentatively planned to hang out tonight and binge some Nurse Jackie on Netflix (her choice, since she watched Deadpool with me... but she got me started on it and it's actually a pretty damn good show).  But alas, we both ended up with kiddos tonight and it didn't work out.  My ex's daughter with her new baby daddy has the flu and I'm not sending my boys over to catch it... and DpG likewise wasn't able to procure childcare for the night.  Someday, maybe, this no-kids thing won't be an issue.  But her boys have never had Dad in their life and the last time we tried that (the first time, 2 years ago) her youngest latched onto me like a leech, which kind of woke the both of us up to the fact we need to be tactful about this.

So I'm doing a Star Wars: Rebels marathon with the minions for the evening.  A good time either way

5 hours ago, Liffguard said:

Over a tenner a pint last time I was there. Ridonculus.

It's all relative though, everything in Norway is way more expensive due to the average income.

3 hours ago, Ded As Ned said:

I'm way up on the bell curve then for Americans ;)  

In other news, been in daily contact with Deadpool Girl... we had tentatively planned to hang out tonight and binge some Nurse Jackie on Netflix (her choice, since she watched Deadpool with me... but she got me started on it and it's actually a pretty damn good show).  But alas, we both ended up with kiddos tonight and it didn't work out.  My ex's daughter with her new baby daddy has the flu and I'm not sending my boys over to catch it... and DpG likewise wasn't able to procure childcare for the night.  Someday, maybe, this no-kids thing won't be an issue.  But her boys have never had Dad in their life and the last time we tried that (the first time, 2 years ago) her youngest latched onto me like a leech, which kind of woke the both of us up to the fact we need to be tactful about this.

So I'm doing a Star Wars: Rebels marathon with the minions for the evening.  A good time either way

I thought Deadpool Girl was quite a recent thing, but you guys were meeting each others' kids two years ago?

57 minutes ago, lessthanluke said:

Is the average income 4 or 5 x that of the UK?!

The guy who said that was exaggerating, a typical pint in Norway costs like 6.5 pounds after conversion. The average wage of Norwegians is almost twice that of British people so it makes sense.

33 minutes ago, Knute said:

The guy who said that was exaggerating, a typical pint in Norway costs like 6.5 pounds after conversion. The average wage of Norwegians is almost twice that of British people so it makes sense.

I've been to Norway. No where did I get a pint that cheap. Even cans from the shop were totally insane prices.

31 minutes ago, lessthanluke said:

I've been to Norway. No where did I get a pint that cheap. Even cans from the shop were totally insane prices.

Where did you go then? If you went to Oslo then of course it's going to be more expensive as it is in every capital city. Every other place in Norway most definitely has pints the price I said.. you must be going to the wrong kind of bars.

Archived