Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Which Tyler

Rugby IV - Striking Hookers Are Back In Fashion

227 posts in this topic

I get that, but it was worse than the Daly sending off against Argentina, which I had no problem with, on the grounds that it was deliberate.

It was one of those that you can't really complain with either card colour.

Daly lands on his CT my junction area, so whatever colour card the ref feels like. Had it been second half it would more likely have been a red.

Oh well, back to back Grand slams would have been nice but it was always going to be tough with away trips to Cardiff and Dublin. A championship win's still a decent result. Not a great performance today though, they really struggled to hold onto the ball.

From a Lions point of view a few Irish players who had fallen back this Six Nations probably put their hand up, especially in the forwards.

1 hour ago, ljkeane said:

Oh well, back to back Grand slams would have been nice but it was always going to be tough with away trips to Cardiff and Dublin. A championship win's still a decent result. Not a great performance today though, they really struggled to hold onto the ball.

It wasn't really a day of great rugby in general.

Scotland were clinical in defeating a poor Italian team, I think they'll be happy with their tournament overall even with the Calcutta Cup humiliation. It seems a bit of a pity Vern Cotter is moving on, although I can see why the SRU might be keen on promoting a Scottish coach who has been very successful with Glasgow.

The France/Wales match was dull until the farce of the ending. It'll be interesting to know if anyone can see any indication of Atonio's head injury at the end, it seemed to be a surprise to him that he was meant to be injured. Apart from that controversy France probably did deserve the win, since they scored two tries to nil.

England didn't look like the same team that played against Scotland. Throughout the tournament they've often struggled in the first half and then improved in the second which does raise the question of whether the right players are starting.

Apparently the other prop was seen warming up before the "head injury". France could be in a bit of trouble: 

15 hours ago, williamjm said:

England didn't look like the same team that played against Scotland.

They didn't play particularly well and conditions were tougher but I think it's mainly down to them not really getting any clean ball. The lineout was probably the worst it's been under Jones and Ireland were consistently slowing down England's ball at the breakdown, they weren't getting clean ball from the scrums either but that was probably less of a surprise. If you're always getting slow scrappy ball it doesn't really lend itself to running intricate backs moves.

From an Irish point of view I think they got lucky with Heaslip picking up an injury in the warmup because O'Mahony had a lot to do with the problems England had in both the lineout and the breakdown. Their lineout's definitely miles better with him in the back row and the balance of their back row in general looks better, Stander has played very well for them at blindside but he's really an 8 so I think they need to bite the bullet and make a decision between him and Heaslip.

15 hours ago, williamjm said:

Throughout the tournament they've often struggled in the first half and then improved in the second which does raise the question of whether the right players are starting.

I'm not sure it's necessarily that they're picking the wrong players to start, leaving aside the claims of various players on the bench. I think it's more down to even if they don't play well they're still a fit side with a big pack and pace out wide and regardless of who's starting they've probably got the best depth of any of the Six Nations sides so they're more likely than not to have a better bench. I think they just wear teams down and by virtue of the depth of their squad they're usually going to have an edge as the bench players come on to take advantage of a tired opposition.

That's something that's noticeable with the All Blacks as well actually, although they're generally more clinical about it than England, even if they're not playing well they force the pace of games and because they pretty much always have the better bench teams really struggle to live with them at the end of games. It's one of the interesting things about the Lions tour actually as for once they might actually not have a clear advantage with the replacement players.