Pick your favourite character and say something negative about them

The Snow Bear

20 hours ago, ravenous reader said:

You're right about the stubbornness, perhaps that is his primary failing (but his kindness, which I consider his greatest virtue, more than makes up for that).  Jon would probably see receiving legitimacy that way as constituting a kind of stain in itself, which would not be able to remove the original stain of bastardy with which he has suffered his entire life.  Of course he's being thick-headed (having a double-dose of both Lyanna's and Rhaegar's (after all, that 'paragon' is Dany's brother remember..? :)) near-obsessive singlemindedness probably doesn't help matters...). 

Accepting the title of 'Jon Stark' would be a formality, merely securing this position in the eyes of men, especially considering the fact that Jon has already been granted legitimacy in the eyes of the old gods, of which the living, breathing 'letter' and 'spirit' of Ghost shadowing him every day is the proof.  It's interesting that the legitimacy of the last letter Ned ever writes as Hand (in which paternity of an heir to the throne is disclosed) is confirmed via the white, not grey, sealing wax, into which Ned imprints his last direwolf impression -- Ned's last official word, a white direwolf.  In a sense, then, Jon has already been given Ned's 'stamp' of approval!

Jon is so insecure about his identity, I wonder if he would even have accepted the direwolf pup as truly his own, had Ghost been put into his arms by the Starks...When they met for the first time, it is important that Ghost was the one who chose him; Ghost spoke the words of belonging to him -- and not vice-versa -- thus unquestionably marking him as a Stark forever!

All true stuff.  I look forward to his reaction to Rob's letter - assuming it ever reaches him!

Cersei is incapable of loving anyone except her children.

Tyrion is a rapist.

Robb needs to listen to his mother.

Aaaaand, for someone who we love for rejecting the shackles that the patriarchy places on her, Brienne tends to do an awful lot of running around after men. I know finding the Stark girls was originally her oath to Catelyn, but it slowly but surely becomes her chance to redeem Jaime's honour.

It's way easier to find something negative about your favorite than positive about your most hated I feel. (Especially when Cersei is in your favorites)

Black-grey morality is the status quo it seems.

Oh, and Jaime's master plan for returning the Stark girls to their dead mother is to give Brienne some funds and a fancy sword then tell her to get going.

I have...quite a few favourite characters, so I'll just name the main ones.

(Also, I don't think you can hold 'misogynistic' behaviour against a character as Westeros is a patriarchal society, and they're sort of raised to value masculinity a lot over femininity)

(I'm only on ASOS)

Arya is way too impulsive and doesn't see things in the long term, as displayed in ACOK. She could have killed Tywin.

Catelyn can also be far too impulsive and selfish. Though her selfishness is mainly displayed through the love she bears her own children. Freeing Jaime was a god awful decision. I don't hold her kidnapping Tyrion against her as many other people on these forums have explained why that wasn't necessarily a bad move on her part.

I can't think of anything too bad to say about Sansa. AGOT speaks for itself but she was raised to think that way. Can you really blame an eleven year old girl for wanting what most eleven year old girls in Westeros want? A handsome husband and a nice life? And once Joffrey cuts her Father's head off, that was when she became one of my favourites. I suppose she is much too easy to trust people. The Tyrells manage to manipulate her so easily even after she told herself that she wouldn't trust anyone else in her first ACOK chapter.

3 hours ago, The Dragons Hand said:

It's way easier to find something negative about your favorite than positive about your most hated I feel. (Especially when Cersei is in your favorites)

Oh, and Jaime's master plan for returning the Stark girls to their dead mother is to give Brienne some funds and a fancy sword then tell her to get going.

Yeah, I'm kinda with Randyll Tarly on this one.  Sending a naive and idealistic young woman alone on an open-ended mission into a war zone shows dubious judgment.

2 minutes ago, Lady bonehead said:

Yeah, I'm kinda with Randyll Tarly on this one.  Sending a naive and idealistic young woman alone on an open-ended mission into a war zone shows dubious judgment.

It helps that she's 6'6 and can take an ungodly amount of physical punishment.

It bugs me more that the chance of her actually finding a good trail to follow is non-existent.

On ‎3‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 9:12 PM, Winter Rose Crown said:

He doesn't have sons?

Is that a question? Its phrased like a statement refuting what I said, but then it ends with a question mark. he very well could have more daughters too.

Dolores Edd is severely depressed.

On 25-3-2016 at 1:54 AM, The Arthur Smith said:

Theon is an immature, misogynistic, brat.

This!

and a lot more negative things could be said about Theon, I mean... I love him for his flaws!

then there's ramsay... and haha.... do i even have to say anything... he's Ramsay.

Jaime is impulsive

Lancel is insecure.

Cersei is.... Cersei...

22 hours ago, The Dragons Hand said:

Whether you believe that or not, that is not how Bri-Bri sees it. Him, and the thought of failing him takes up the majority of her headspace. The oath originally sworn to Catelyn became her oath to him. When she is captured, she is immediately distressed about failing Jaime and losing the magic sword, and when interrogated, doesn't think about her vow in regards to Lady Catelyn at all, it's 'Jaime swore this...'.

18 hours ago, Lady bonehead said:

Refreshing to hear Brienne being spoken about like that. She is one of my absolute favourites and an incredible warrior, but I dunno if its skim-reading or whatever, but lot of people read her as a homelier-looking version of Xena the Warrior Princess. She may be strong and good with a sword, but she isn't the wisecracking tough girl we'd expect her to be at first sight. She is extremely naive, easily upset by words (less by wounds) and has little-to-no confidence, which has forced her into this sworn sword role. She likes having someone to serve, to tell her what to, to swear oaths to in order to make her feel useful. Despite the leather and the mail and the patriarchy-smashing that her sword and her actions suggest, she is one of the most subservient character in the series.

I just said a lot of negative things about one of my favourites there :rolleyes:

10 hours ago, Raisin' Bran said:

Is that a question? Its phrased like a statement refuting what I said, but then it ends with a question mark. he very well could have more daughters too.

Dolores Edd is severely depressed.

It was a confused statement. Like, "I don't know what you mean by this..."

Dany is too impulsive and was too naive to think she could end slavery and also retake her birthright in Westeros in a few year time.

Cat thinks only about the good of her family while she doesn't care about others at all. Though I love Cat, she reminds me of the worst of elitism. 

Cersei has no issues with having sex with Kettleblack brothers.

Tyrion has the 'better than everyone' attitude. Though it seems to be a Lannister trait.

Walder Frey is a shameless opportunist.

Victorian is too dumb.

Jaime bangs his sister.

The Hound kills children.

Tywin is a hypocrite.

Sansa... well. that's the hardest. She used to be kind of stupid.

Tyrion whines about being undesirable for women and himself scorns unattractive girls.

Doran Martell procrastinates.

Well...hope I'm not offending anyone here, so I'm gonna use the mildest word possible. I hear that Jon Connington is a fairy. Lol...and Jon Snow, where was your wit? You should not have bent yourself backwards just for the sake of those Wildlings! And next time Ghost tries to warn you...well, take his howling for a warning. And Thoros of Myr...you are one drunken sob! :P Euron is as evil and vicious as anyone can get, anyone not named Lannister or Targaryen, lol. Victarion is too dumb and brutish.

Archived