[Spoilers] Rant and Rave Without Reprecussions - Season 6, Tally-Ho

Ran

21 minutes ago, teej6 said:

It seems they just want to be done with the show. However, based on S1 (which I thought was a good and mostly true adaptation of the books), I do think they initially started out to make a decent show but then lost interest.

Back in season one they had other writers like Jane Espenson contributing (and Martin himself of course), I kinda think ego-mania kicked in after how well that first season was received. I also think it's clear they wanted to hit the big "shock" moments: Ned's death, the Red Wedding, Oberyn's death, etc. (and make things more "shocking" by removing foreshadowing, prophesy and well, logic), at the expense of basically everything else - they want people talking about those big moments. Now they want to get out before people realise the Emperor has no clothes so they can maximise the benefit to their careers.

Edit: Just wanted to add that David Benioff has a history of mauling adaptations: Troy, X-Men Origins: Wolverine.

2 hours ago, Le Cygne said:

Just finished watching the whole thing, that was beautiful.

He talks about his prompt book, that he put together meticulously by hand himself.

And then he notes his impressions, important things, what the audience knows, how to show the feelings of the characters, what needs to be established, building on tried and true techniques, etc.

Then he details these things for each section:

Synopsis

The Times - how did the times bear on what happened in the story

Imagery and Tone - images that seem to stand out and the tone of the story

The Core - what's essential, as well as pitfalls (like cliches, failing to set up relationships,etc.)

And he used this when writing the scripts, it has the actual book with his notes and the above divided into sections, so he can review the text, and all of his planning.

And here's another, Coppola: "Everything that makes The Godfather wonderful comes from the book. That's why on the title at my behest it says Mario Puzo's The Godfather.":

I wouldn't necessarily anticipate that level of detail, though it'd have been welcome, as everyone has their own method. But it does make me wish the show had prepared more in terms of long narrative understanding. Too often they've seemed certain to have dropped something only to bring it in at a later date, in a much inferior form. One amusing thing for me was when Coppola mentioned "is there too much exposition?" as a potential drawback because it affects Thrones so much: there's absurd levels of exposition at times, in fact, so much of the dialogue is just characters explaining or discussing the plot, possibly blandly stating their backgrounds as though it were a first-person wikipedia entry. It just isn't that interesting to watch, especially with the uneven quality of the writing. 

2 minutes ago, Sir Drew said:

I wouldn't necessarily anticipate that level of detail, though it'd have been welcome, as everyone has their own method. But it does make me wish the show had prepared more in terms of long narrative understanding. Too often they've seemed certain to have dropped something only to bring it in at a later date, in a much inferior form. One amusing thing for me was when Coppola mentioned "is there too much exposition?" as a potential drawback because it affects Thrones so much: there's absurd levels of exposition at times, in fact, so much of the dialogue is just characters explaining or discussing the plot, possibly blandly stating their backgrounds as though it were a first-person wikipedia entry. It just isn't that interesting to watch, especially with the uneven quality of the writing.

I agree, very much. Another reason I'm kind of dreading Bran's storyline this year. I think there's a good chance they'll use his visions into the past to do major visual infodumps. What happened to "no dreams, visions, prophecies"? 

On Coppola, contrast the diligence with which he adapted "The Godfather" with the madness that followed when he took a Vietnam retelling of "Heart of Darkness" with "Apocalypse Now" (also a masterpiece, but it very nearly killed him -- and Martin Sheen):

"We were in the jungle, there were too many of us, we had access to too much money, too much equipment and little by little, we went insane."

Sound familiar? At least he's self-aware. And even with fat Brando, a bloated budget, crazy weather, working with the real Philippine military, Sheen's heart attack, and everything else, he came out with a brilliant movie. These D's are spending money like drunken sailors, in Spain and Croatia and Northern Ireland instead of a jungle, and what do they give us? Dreck. And it appears to be getting worse. 

"We were in the jungle, there were too many of us, we had access to too much money, too much equipment and little by little, we went insane."

Sounds like what happened with Peter Jackson's Hobbit, too. 

1 hour ago, Chebyshov said:

Made us a vid for the unproblematic OTP: 

Wow, amazing. 

And so many feelings: disgust, laughter and sympathy for poor Larry's face (I can understand why Carol is so angry al the time at Larry. He is rather useless and their children keep dying on his watch) But his face is so desperate and hurt every time he looks at Carol. That whole relationship is not incestuous but also toxic. Sigh.

18 minutes ago, Rhollo said:

Should we just settle on "Gary" as TV Rhaegars fandom name right now ?

Gary Ray-Ray, or just Gary. Loving it. The prince that was promised, his is the song of Ice and Fire, and he shall be called....Gary.

Reminds me of the Monty Python scene "...there are some who call me Tim"

5 minutes ago, Tijgy said:

Wow, amazing. 

And so many feelings: disgust, laughter and sympathy for poor Larry's face (I can understand why Carol is so angry al the time at Larry. He is rather useless and their children keep dying on his watch) But his face is so desperate and hurt every time he looks at Carol. That whole relationship is not incestuous but also toxic. Sigh.

He also kneels to her a lot. He's below her. Groveling position.

What does "all that they've taken from us,  we're going to take back and more" even MEAN? Who's "they"? What's " all"? It just feels like lazy writing, like "nothing is nothing," awkward and shallow.

Archived