[Spoilers] Rant and Rave Without Reprecussions - Season 6, Tally-Ho

Ran

Just now, Lethavien said:

Well... if any of this is true and not some seriously good faking then i don't doubt this season is going to top season 5 in all departments twice over. Holy hell, what is this?

Between, hi all been lurking this thread since the end of season 5, but now that season 6 is starting up and seems to be following in season 5s footsteps i believe i will need a place to cling to my sanity and probably vent my frustration for this season.

In advance i probably also need to apologize to my poor liver, for this is going to be a looooong season. 

Welcome, dear sir. :cheers:

1 hour ago, ForTheNorth said:

On behalf of men everywhere I would like to apologize to the women of this forum for the shows portrayal of women. We do not all think that rape and sexual abuse matures women, nor do we all believe that women who have so called tomboyish characteristics and without supermodel looks must be lesbian.

Even though the show tries its best to hammer into the audience a world where women are only defined by the men around them and cant pursue love or sexual gratification independently I still try my best while watching this abomination that women are not one dimensional mannequins who only grow intellectually and emotionally when a man tells them to. 

Thank you. :)

I know this might sound strange but I was expecting something much more shocking in the first episode. The Melisandre revelation was already widely assumed among book readers. As for Dorne, having removed Aegon from the show, none of that is shocking either. 

1 hour ago, ForTheNorth said:

On behalf of men everywhere I would like to apologize to the women of this forum for the shows portrayal of women. We do not all think that rape and sexual abuse matures women, nor do we all believe that women who have so called tomboyish characteristics and without supermodel looks must be lesbian.

Even though the show tries its best to hammer into the audience a world where women are only defined by the men around them and cant pursue love or sexual gratification independently I still try my best while watching this abomination that women are not one dimensional mannequins who only grow intellectually and emotionally when a man tells them to. 

Sweet. And always good to hear, especially with all the praise the show gets, makes one wonder at times. :)

28 minutes ago, Lethavien said:

Well... if any of this is true and not some seriously good faking then i don't doubt this season is going to top season 5 in all departments twice over. Holy hell, what is this?

Between, hi all been lurking this thread since the end of season 5, but now that season 6 is starting up and seems to be following in season 5s footsteps i believe i will need a place to cling to my sanity and probably vent my frustration for this season.

In advance i probably also need to apologize to my poor liver, for this is going to be a looooong season. 

There are a few GoT drinking games and bingo and stuff. :)

And welcome! 

11 minutes ago, Lethavien said:

Can't say i wish to die just yet from alcohol poisoning, hope to read tWoW first. :) 

and thank you for the welcome as well :cheers:

Good point. Especially if the drinking game involves drinking when you spot a plot hole, a logic fail, or something that doesn't make any sense at all... yeah, alcohol poisoning likely to occur within the first episode! :P

ForTheNorth, thank you. Very sweet and much appreciated.

In that CNN article, in the Arya section, there's a link to an article by a critic named Ajay Kumar, who has read the books and spells out for viewers the differences between book and show. Yes,he does quote D/D but he also  gives the reasons GRRM contsructed Arya's plot in THOBAW the way he did.  He also cites Mercy "A sample chapter from TWOW" and provides a link to the wiki where Unsullied can read a summary if they want.

And reading I thought, Bravo. It is hugely comforting to me that major outlets like CNN have discerning critics who read the books and are prepared to deconstruct the show.

Maybe this is one way we Ranters can cope besides resorting to a hair from the direwolf that bit you, or a scale from the dragon that singed you...or fill in animal sigil of your choice. (ie the local liquor store.)

Make a list of major media outlets who have critics who have read the books and who have commented on differences between book and show in past. These critics may indeed prove to be true CRITICS and who may (MAY, it's a slim hope but possible) challenge D/D's attempted brainwashing. Or at least remind watchers of GRRM. Reading their articles/Twitter posts etc may help us cope week after week.

1 hour ago, Lethavien said:

Greetings fellow lurker! Seems the impending onslaught of the new season has driven us all out of the woodwork.

5 minutes ago, Sir Loin Steak said:

Greetings fellow lurker! Seems the impending onslaught of the new season has driven us all out of the woodwork.

Seems so, going to be interesting to see if critics will still shower this show with the same admiration after this is over. Hoping it at least will be a little more balanced, but we will see. 

14 minutes ago, Morna The Maid said:

ForTheNorth, thank you. Very sweet and much appreciated.

In that CNN article, in the Arya section, there's a link to an article by a critic named Ajay Kumar, who has read the books and spells out for viewers the differences between book and show. Yes,he does quote D/D but he also  gives the reasons GRRM contsructed Arya's plot in THOBAW the way he did.  He also cites Mercy "A sample chapter from TWOW" and provides a link to the wiki where Unsullied can read a summary if they want.

And reading I thought, Bravo. It is hugely comforting to me that major outlets like CNN have discerning critics who read the books and are prepared to deconstruct the show.

Maybe this is one way we Ranters can cope besides resorting to a hair from the direwolf that bit you, or a scale from the dragon that singed you...or fill in animal sigil of your choice. (ie the local liquor store.)

Make a list of major media outlets who have critics who have read the books and who have commented on differences between book and show in past. These critics may indeed prove to be true CRITICS and who may (MAY, it's a slim hope but possible) challenge D/D's attempted brainwashing. Or at least remind watchers of GRRM. Reading their articles/Twitter posts etc may help us cope week after week.

I just tried to search for the article with no luck. Can you post the link by chance? Thanks. 

2 hours ago, ForTheNorth said:

Thank you for your assertion that men do not all think like D&D. I want to add that most women know that the majority of men have depth, empathy and can see women as human as themselves. There's no need to apologize for the minority of warped minds. :)

Oh and Sir Loin Steak, I forget if it was you or Lady Softheart who was talking yesterday about Sir Christopher Lee and his incomparable real-life bad-assness. One of my favorite stories of the LOTR filming was one from Peter Jackson about him.

When they were filming Saruman's death scene, which was not in the theatrical version but in the Extended Edition (and one of the few instances where PJ's version of LOTR diverged hugely from Tolkien, but I'll let that pass), the script called for Saruman to cry out when Wormtongue stabbed him in the back. They filmed the scene and when PJ sad "Cut!",  Lee took PJ aside. He said to PJ, "When you stab a man in the back, he doesn't go [imitates the crying out sound he'd made], he goes [makes a soft grunting noise]." And then he walked off, leaving Peter Jackson gobsmacked. The set was very quiet after that!

PJ still shakes his head telling this story, on the DVD he laughed nervously while relating it. THAT is real boss.ass.boss-ness! There's als a rumor that he was the real-life inspiration for James Bond, he was either the brother-in-law of or close friends with, I forget which, the author  of the James Bond books, and some of Bond's characteristics come from what Lee's stories of his life (the "unclassified" stuff he could hint at, of course.) Apparently to the day he died, there's stuff Lee still could not reveal about his activities in WW2.

And yes, it was both him and Ian McKellen who stalked the director and writers with the LOTR book, though other actors like Viggo Mortensen and Sean Bean and others also took from the books for their performances.

Archived