GAME OF THRONES to end 13 episodes after the end of Season 6

Werthead

3 minutes ago, The Arthur Smith said:

Wasn't there hints and foreshadow about Aegon being alive started in book 3. I recalled there was a thread dedicate to that.

No, the biggest hints were in book two. 

HOTU and the Mummer's dragon.

But Varys' and Illyrio's convo in AGOT and their relation to Viserys doesn't make sense if they're not backing someone else. 

It's Jon Connington and the Blackfyre angle that wasn't cooked up until ASOS.

16 minutes ago, Lord_Ravenstone said:

You call Jon's, Dany's, Cat's, Stannis', Jaime's and Sansa's plotlines mostly positive? 

Sure do for all of them except Jaime. Dorne was poorly done, although thankfully brief. I feel that the changes to Tyrion's story make up for the Jaime debacle. I was dreading seeing Peter Dinklage make the show ridiculous by riding on pigs or whatever with another little person. That would have been embarrassingly bad. Instead it turned out to be a pretty good story line, though pretty uneventful.

8 minutes ago, Lord_Ravenstone said:

Aerys had one chapter, man. And he opened up a space for Robert Strong to save Cersei's ass at her trial. But I also hate his chapter. He's just not a big deal though.

Quentyn's story breaks an alliance between Dany and Dorne and pushes Dorne to Aegon's camp. Not only that but his chapters have thematic value about adventure and how it's not all it's cracked up to be and the price of revenge.

Might have made a nice short story or novella.  No POV is needed for his death to affect the story.  It could have been done in 3 pages.

1 minute ago, Humble AK said:

Sure do for all of them except Jaime. Dorne was poorly done, although thankfully brief. I feel that the changes to Tyrion's story make up for the Jaime debacle. I was dreading seeing Peter Dinklage make the show ridiculous by riding on pigs or whatever with another little person. That would have been embarrassingly bad. Instead it turned out to be a pretty good story line, though pretty uneventful.

Really? You were dreading it?  You thought there was any chance at all that this would have been used in the show?  LOL.

I've honestly expected something like this.They've been working towards wrapping it up in 7 seasons for years. The news about an 8th season was quite a shock to me last year. Season 6 seems to be really packed and a lot of characters (major and secondary) will be killed off so the plot is getting tighter. No roaming and stalling like in the books. If The Wall comes down and Daenerys sets sail towards Westeros (to arrive at the beginning of s7) in the finale this year, 13-14 episodes seem like enough to tie all the arcs up. Can't see them having White Walkers roam Westeros for nearly or even 20 episodes. It'd just get old and boring. We're close to the endgame, there's no point in dragging out storylines. 

D+D said something about not wanting to have Daenerys stuck in Meereen for more than 3 seasons. Season 6 will be the third consective year. It's time for her to get out of there. Season 6's finale seems like good timing for that.

16 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

Really? You were dreading it?  You thought there was any chance at all that this would have been used in the show?  LOL.

Haha, yeah. I wasn't sure how much of Tyrion's story they would put into season 5, but I sometimes wondered. I'm greatly relieved that they took it in the direction they did. Because Dinklage riding around on a pig with Penny would have been a jumping the shark moment that made the palace raid in Dorne look like high art in comparison.

13 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

Might have made a nice short story or novella.  No POV is needed for his death to affect the story.  It could have been done in 3 pages.

I mean I definitely enjoyed Quentyn's chapters, though from a minimalist perspective I can see why some might find him unneccesary as a POV. I can't think of a very organic way for Quentyn to randomly appear in Daenerys chapters though, or how we would be able to understand why he was so determined to release the dragons. Would also be less tragic.

Hard to sympathesize, as I'm one of those people who really liked how much more beefed up Feast and Dance were. I'm not really in a hurry to get to the end.

32 minutes ago, Lord_Ravenstone said:

No, the biggest hints were in book two. 

HOTU and the Mummer's dragon.

But Varys' and Illyrio's convo in AGOT and their relation to Viserys doesn't make sense if they're not backing someone else. 

It's Jon Connington and the Blackfyre angle that wasn't cooked up until ASOS.

Yeah i think the jon con was added later on too. probably someone else's role that he split off after he thought of an interesting character. 

9 minutes ago, Wendel Shoemaker said:

I mean I definitely enjoyed Quentyn's chapters, though from a minimalist perspective I can see why some might find him unneccesary as a POV. I can't think of a very organic way for Quentyn to randomly appear in Daenerys chapters though, or how we would be able to understand why he was so determined to release the dragons. Would also be less tragic.

Hard to sympathesize, as I'm one of those people who really liked how much more beefed up Feast and Dance were. I'm not really in a hurry to get to the end.

feast i feel gets a bad rap for just not having some of the most popular characters. I really like what is there.  

3 hours ago, Kyrion said:

Come to think of it, maybe the war of the five kings filler should have been cut and go straight to the red wedding after Season 1. I mean that's basically what the show is doing now, cutting huge amount of content to hurry up and rush the show to a conclusion.

Cutting Aegon is like cutting the main plot to get to the conclusion, and its also the human heart in conflict with itself, second dance of the dragons is Dany going against a member of her family or at least someone that could be, and they show says **** that filler, D&D have other projects they want to do they talked about in interviews adapting other stories, so screw GOT end the show ASAP.

Remember the fears that D&D were Red Wedding and done? Here it is in fruition. Red Wedding was all they cared about.

Aegon was a horrifically stupid decision to even start a plot-line about.  GRRM has a thing for baby swaps apparently, but the notion that Aegon would even exist requires a lot of convenient BS.

The story is so much better off without that claptrap.

38 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

I half- agree that Quentyn's story like Brienne's almost works better as a novella. 

'Cause their effect to the main plot was minimal but they had great arcs. 

4 minutes ago, 239JMFL34109 said:

feast i feel gets a bad rap for just not having some of the most popular characters. I really like what is there.  

Same. Feast is actually enjoyable in re-read.

1 minute ago, TheLeviathan73 said:

Aegon was a horrifically stupid decision to even start a plot-line about.  GRRM has a thing for baby swaps apparently, but the notion that Aegon would even exist requires a lot of convenient BS.

How would you feel if the Aegon = Blackfyre theory is true? Do you think this affect your thoughts toward the plotline as being pointless?

19 minutes ago, Humble AK said:

Haha, yeah. I wasn't sure how much of Tyrion's story they would put into season 5, but I sometimes wondered. I'm greatly relieved that they took it in the direction they did. Because Dinklage riding around on a pig with Penny would have been a jumping the shark moment that made the palace raid in Dorne look like high art in comparison.

Considering Dinklage's previous roles, especially SNL...yeah.

11 minutes ago, TheLeviathan73 said:

GRRM is cribbing off of real history here with Aegon as ASOIAF's version of Perkin Warbeck/Gianino Baglioni

Also there's only been one baby swap as the Aegon baby swap didn't happen 

Aegon is obviously fake

15 hours ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

Whatever the reasons for ending it early or shortening the episode numbers, I hope they aren't forced into a 'Lost' scenario, where a 3 season storyline is stretched over a number of years in order to fill space, and it all goes heavily down the pan. 

Your word in God's ear

3 minutes ago, Lord_Ravenstone said:

GRRM is cribbing off of real history here with Aegon as ASOIAF's version of Perkin Warbeck: Gianino Baglioni

Also there's only been one baby swap as the Aegon baby swap didn't happen 

and Aegon is obviously fake

Even if he's fake or a Blackfyre or whatever else, I really think he's filler.  His purpose is basically to keep Tyrion occupied for awhile and probably to service Dany's storyline.

I'd argue he wouldn't be necessary for the second if not for the hole GRRM dug himself with Dany in the first place.  Aegon, I'm guessing, ends up a lot like Quentyn - a very minimally impactful character with far too much time spent on him.

4 minutes ago, TheLeviathan73 said:

Even if he's fake or a Blackfyre or whatever else, I really think he's filler.  His purpose is basically to keep Tyrion occupied for awhile and probably to service Dany's storyline.

I'd argue he wouldn't be necessary for the second if not for the hole GRRM dug himself with Dany in the first place.  Aegon, I'm guessing, ends up a lot like Quentyn - a very minimally impactful character with far too much time spent on him.

Aegon's note there for Tyrion. Tyrion's there for Aegon and his storyline 

Aegon's gonna take out the Lannisters and oust them off of the Iron Throne and sit the Iron Throne himself and potentially marry Arianne and bind the sparrows to him 

That's pretty damn important 

he's also necessary for Varys' plan and endgame to make sense 

I'd go so far as to argue that Aegon is one of the best things to happen in the series 

4 minutes ago, Lord_Ravenstone said:

Aegon's note there for Tyrion. Tyrion's there for Aegon and his storyline 

Aegon's gonna take out the Lannisters and oust them off of the Iron Throne and sit the Iron Throne himself and potentially marry Arianne and bind the sparrows to him 

That's pretty damn important 

he's also necessary for Varys' plan and endgame to make sense 

I'd go so far as to argue that Aegon is one of the best things to happen in the series 

We'll see what significance he has - I have my doubts.  The rug might be pulled out from under him before he accomplishes anything. 

Aegon is a bridge for Tyrion to Dany - he exists to further that eventual meet-up and to give something for Tyrion to do for 5 years.  Like many characters in the last two books, they are filler to correct a pretty big mistake.  An understandable one, but a mistake nonetheless.  As with many of those filler characters we've found they haven't served the main plot nearly as much as we were lead to (hope to?) believe.  It wouldn't shock me one bit if he met the same fate.

14 hours ago, Miss CS said:

I reckon there will be Game of Thrones movies after the TV drama is finished. Like, proper movies. They could make a good one with Aegon's Conquest, and another with Robert's Rebellion. Maybe. I could think of better movies, but they'd certainly be popular and the plot for Robert's Rebellion is solid, whilst Aegon's Conquest has dragons (which always sells!) Maybe not. Yet I don't see the franchise dying quietly. There must be some sort of screen-play beyond the TV drama. After so much hype, why not?

won't happen. ppl who know more about showbiz than u and me combined said that there won't be no movie.

I don't understand why Game of Thrones spends so much money, outsourcing, etc, in other countries and filming with different people , directors, etc, when they can do it in a Studio or something with green screens all over, like LoTR or The Hobbit. Yes, filmed in New Zealand but lots of it was done in a studio and that way the budget is spent in CGI, giving more time to dragons and direwolves and white walkers, and most actors, crew, everybody won't have to travel back and forth. Maybe it is because of this that Dumb and Dumber are tired and want to end this now :wacko:

Just now, ANNALISVETH said:

I don't understand why Game of Thrones spends so much money, outsourcing, etc, in other countries and filming with different people , directors, etc, when they can do it in a Studio or something with green screens all over, like LoTR or The Hobbit. Yes, filmed in New Zealand but lots of it was done in a studio and that way the budget is spent in CGI, giving more time to dragons and direwolves and white walkers, and most actors, crew, everybody won't have to travel back and forth. Maybe it is because of this that Dumb and Dumber are tired and want to end this now :wacko:

Do you want it to be like the Star Wars prequel with crappy CGI?

If anything, what you said contradict each other.

Archived