GAME OF THRONES to end 13 episodes after the end of Season 6

Werthead

Mmm I think D&D should be considering a season of 14 episodes by now...7 on September 2017 and 7 on April 2018. That should give them time to film everything. Vikings is doing the same this season: 10 on February and 10 after the summer.

And  we'd need episodes 60-70 minutes long, not the ones we are getting now (50-55).

10 minutes ago, Ingelheim said:

Mmm I think D&D should be considering a season of 14 episodes by now...7 on September 2017 and 7 on April 2018. That should give them time to film everything. Vikings is doing the same this season: 10 on February and 10 after the summer.

And  we'd need episodes 60-70 minutes long, not the ones we are getting now (50-55).

Vikings wouldn't be a good example, considering how poor this season has been.

22 minutes ago, The Arthur Smith said:

Fairer than having 20 episodes. Showrunners have to go for this path if they want to preserve their pace all while giving in HBO's demand. If we going to have 20 episodes, than half of it will just be fillers that will criticize the slow rhyme of the show and just hurry up and get on with the story.

Agreed. People were complaining about the show having an eighth season with 20 episodes remain. Now people complain about having 13 episodes?

That's pretty much the point of the series. All contenders who are fighting for the IT are wasting their time and effort when there's the White Walkers/Others that will obliterate Westeros and the IT eventually. They are too busy keening on their personal interest when there's an apocalypse happening. So I don't see how anyone believe someone will win the IT and the IT surviving at the end of series, especially in regards with Dany. Dany doesn't know about Westeros or the White Walkers/Others and I doubt she will immediately know about them by the time she arrive there. Which brings the question about whether there will be the War of the Dawn.

From my experience as an watcher of the show, the more episodes, the better the story is. But of course, I don't know the ending, so I could be wrong. If the fillers are going to be brothels, I'm fine with less episodes; but if the episodes had more character's development, it would be preferable to have more of episodes. Rushing things is not good.

I think that they should have done Season 5 with the best parts of the books (there were some things from the books that were not included and still would have been really cool) instead of not adapting such things. It was great they didn't adapt some boring storylines, but they missed the opportunity to tell the story better when they created their own version in S5, because the first four seasons are exceptional.

The other thing I want to point out is that they could call George. I mean, if the two remaining books (not published) are going to be 3500 pages how will they be covered in 13 episodes (or 16 if some parts are from s6)? Asos was adapted in season 3 and 4 (20 episodes) and they are they are amazing.

I am referring to these things.

11 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

The more important question, is did they film season 6 with the intent of only doing 13 more episodes, or did they film it with the idea of doing 20, which is where I thought it had been left w/HBO, 8 seasons.  

The former, imo. 

17 minutes ago, Meera of Tarth said:

From my experience as an watcher of the show, the more episodes, the better the story is. But of course, I don't know the ending, so I could be wrong. If the fillers are going to be brothels, I'm fine with less episodes; but if the episodes had more character's development, it would be preferable to have more of episodes. Rushing things is not good.

I think that they should have done Season 5 with the best parts of the books (there were some things from the books that were not included and still would have been really cool) instead of not adapting such things. It was great they didn't adapt some boring storylines, but they missed the opportunity to tell the story better when they created their own version in S5, because the first four seasons are exceptional.

The other thing I want to point out is that they could call George. I mean, if the two remaining books (not published) are going to be 3500 pages how will they be covered in 13 episodes (or 16 if some parts are from s6)? Asos was adapted in season 3 and 4 (20 episodes) and they are they are amazing.

While I think that a 12 episode season 5 might have fixed many of its problems, as some of the major plotlines were simply rushed through and thats one of the reasons we have so many complaints.. there is a sweet spot and more isn't always better.

The problem with the books is they essentially created a sort of story lag, books 4 & 5 slowing down hugely compared to the first 3. You can extend the series out to more episodes to fit in more from the books, but you are essentially left with similar problems, in that you have a lot of air time with little in the way of incident or story points (something you could say about the first 5-6 episodes of season 5) 

You also have budget and contract constraints which mean covering more and more stories becomes expensive and not practical, as well as frustrating for viewers. 

I would have preferred a streamlined version that was even less deferential to the books, if it would have fixed some of the problems they created.

2 minutes ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

While I think that a 12 episode season 5 might have fixed many of its problems, as some of the major plotlines were simply rushed through and thats one of the reasons we have so many complaints.. there is a sweet spot and more isn't always better.

The problem with the books is they essentially created a sort of story lag, books 4 & 5 slowing down hugely compared to the first 3. You can extend the series out to more episodes to fit in more from the books, but you are essentially left with similar problems, in that you have a lot of air time with little in the way of incident or story points (something you could say about the first 5-6 episodes of season 5) 

You also have budget and contract constraints which mean covering more and more stories becomes expensive and not practical, as well as frustrating for viewers. 

I would have preferred a streamlined version that was even less deferential to the books, if it would have fixed some of the problems they created.

I undertand the contract constraints, but Dorne's story could have been larger, for instance. And it would have fit more episodes (filled in season 6 maybe) like the 12 you mention. I mean, less rushed, more substance. More character development.

And yes, exactly, book 4 and 5 are very difficult to adapt and I see the problems but I really insist on that at this moment they should call George to do a not-so-rushed ending if he didn't tell them enough details when they met him. It would be fantastic. I'm not saying doing ten seasons, but the final must be epic, but it's important to set the path properly. 16-20 episodes would be perfect for me.

Another thing that would be cool to fill more episodes would be the development of the romance from the books that have not been told yet (or that is stuck right now). Not all the episodes must be batlles. Set time for calm episodes. Previous seasons used this and were great.

1 minute ago, Meera of Tarth said:

I undertand the contract constraints, but Dorne's story could have been larger, for instance. And it would have fit more episodes (filled in season 6 maybe) like the 12 you mention. I mean, less rushed, more substance. More character development.

And yes, exactly, book 4 and 5 are very difficult to adapt and I see the problems but I really insist on that at this moment they should call George to do a not-so-rushed ending if he didn't tell them enough details when they met him. It would be fantastic. I'm not saying doing ten seasons, but the final must be epic, but it's important to set the path properly. 16-20 episodes would be perfect for me.

Another thing that would be cool to fill more episodes would be the development of the romance from the books that have not been told yet (or that is stuck right now). Not all the episodes must be batlles. Set time for calm episodes. Previous seasons used this and were great.

The problem with longer seasons is you end up with a lot more 'filler' episodes, or at least episodes without much incident, which might have some nice moments but you'd struggle to really remember what happened. 

I really think one of the reasons GoT has had such a high quality from the start is due to its 10 episode format. If there were more episodes, thats less time to concentrate on each one, less quality control, escalating budgets etc. Considering we have a system that seems stretched to its limits already, doing one season a year, jumping straight back into making the next season as soon as one is finished.. I can't see how it would improve the show practically.

I go back to Vikings, which is now longer than it was previously, there might be other reasons for its decline in quality but that surely contributes.

15 minutes ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

The problem with longer seasons is you end up with a lot more 'filler' episodes, or at least episodes without much incident, which might have some nice moments but you'd struggle to really remember what happened. 

I really think one of the reasons GoT has had such a high quality from the start is due to its 10 episode format. If there were more episodes, thats less time to concentrate on each one, less quality control, escalating budgets etc. Considering we have a system that seems stretched to its limits already, doing one season a year, jumping straight back into making the next season as soon as one is finished.. I can't see how it would improve the show practically.

I go back to Vikings, which is now longer than it was previously, there might be other reasons for its decline in quality but that surely contributes.

Yes, for that same reason I think the next two seasons after season 6 should still be 10 episodes (or only season 7 at least). The 8th could be shorter. So, now they could extend storylines that were not previously told or call George, but that doesn't necessarily mean filling without incident. (s7 at least).

9 minutes ago, Meera of Tarth said:

Yes, for that same reason I think the next two seasons after season 6 should still be 10 episodes (or only season 7 at least). The 8th could be shorter. So, now they could extend storylines that were not previously told or call George, but that doesn't necessarily mean filling without incident. (s7 at least).

I'm not sure GRRM has held anything back. He has surely filled them in on most of the major plot points by now. The streamlining has already begun.

3 hours ago, The Arthur Smith said:

Agreed. Really hate the ending with Dany winning the IT or a happy ending with Jon/Dany.

I'm sure Dany won't sit the Iron Throne. People like to give D&D flack for diverging and modifying and cutting things, but they know their endgame (for the show) and we do not. I'm sure the HOTU vision with her in the throne room didn't replace the book version just because they thought it was cool. Cheaper, more simple, but it had allude to something.

And the thing is, Martin said several times that he knew how each character's story would end, but doesn't always know how they will get there. You can't blame D&D if George told them ''So Arya will die saving Jon's life'' ''Oh cool shit, how does it happen ? ''  ''I don't know yet...''

1 hour ago, Meera of Tarth said:

Of course if we want to not have the story rush, it's all fine. But we sadly have to trust D&D's inspection on their storytelling and especially the ending - how will they manage the pace and how the show will end. They planned out S7 since the beginning and if they are ambivalent with having S8 with 10 episodes, then that shows the frustration they have as they have to revise the story this and that.

I doubt we have few other plots to cover up like LSH or Aegon considering the main stories they have to adapt. Just asking this really makes me wonder how relevant Aegon is or GRMM really planned him from the very beginning.

I figured the last 2 books will be chunk loads of description and monologue on how the battle play, so this shouldn't really be a problem when the show adapt the battles. The Blackwater battle took up almost hundred pages while on the show, it only last for an episode.

It would be awesome if GRMM, after he finish writing Winds, resume his job for the show and write for S7, S8, or the ending for that matter.

11 minutes ago, The Unborn said:

I'm sure Dany won't sit the Iron Throne. People like to give D&D flack for diverging and modifying and cutting things, but they know their endgame (for the show) and we do not. I'm sure the HOTU vision with her in the throne room didn't replace the book version just because they thought it was cool. Cheaper, more simple, but it had allude to something.

Agreed. There's a reason why they simplify the HOTU vision in the show and I believe that is enough to foreshadow the endgame of the series instead.

2 hours ago, RUSSELL BELL said:

I see absolutely nothing wrong with it, the initial plan was for the show to run for seven seasons. If anything we are getting three extra episodes over a period of two years. All the best shows know when to end, you simply can't have more than 5 quality seasons. That being said, Game of Thrones has less episodes per season compared to say, Breaking Bad or The Sopranos. 

Yep agree with the best shows know when to end it. Hopefully they don't rushed it because that would be disappointing. 

58 minutes ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

I'm not sure GRRM has held anything back. He has surely filled them in on most of the major plot points by now. The streamlining has already begun.

54 minutes ago, The Arthur Smith said:

Of course if we want to not have the story rush, it's all fine. But we sadly have to trust D&D's inspection on their storytelling and especially the ending - how will they manage the pace and how the show will end. They planned out S7 since the beginning and if they are ambivalent with having S8 with 10 episodes, then that shows the frustration they have as they have to revise the story this and that.

I doubt we have few other plots to cover up like LSH or Aegon considering the main stories they have to adapt. Just asking this really makes me wonder how relevant Aegon is or GRMM really planned him from the very beginning.

I figured the last 2 books will be chunk loads of description and monologue on how the battle play, so this shouldn't really be a problem when the show adapt the battles. The Blackwater battle took up almost hundred pages while on the show, it only last for an episode.

It would be awesome if GRMM, after he finish writing Winds, resume his job for the show and write for S7, S8, or the ending for that matter.

Agreed. There's a reason why they simplify the HOTU vision in the show and I believe that is enough to foreshadow the endgame of the series instead.

Yes, George could write one of the ending episodes of S8 when finishes Winds, because after publishing it he will have no pressure because the show will end before ADOS, so I think he could return to the show.

About Aegon and LSH: I'd have loved to see them, especially LSH (I thought that she could even appear this season, but now I don't think so)

2 hours ago, Winter's Cold said:

I'm still not sure whether Sansa spends more time with Littlefinger or with Jon this season. If anyone will marry Jon and become endgame queen, it'll likely be Arya since that was GRRM's original plan which he stated he hasn't changed. He also constantly mentions that he's always known what Arya's ending would be (married to Jon Snow probably). 

Of the two Stark sisters, I'd expect Sansa to have a far greater chance of dying especially if she becomes politically important after this season. It would also confirm my speculation that GRRM will not allow any of the Stark children that look like Tullies to inherit Winterfell. Robb murdered and his potential child removed, Rickon dead (assuming he dies this season) before he can reproduce, Bran crippled and rendered impotent. It's likely Sansa will either meet a similar fate or be married off to another family. He did something similar with the Targaryens that didn't look like Valyrians.

I believe it's a mistake to regard Sansa as having the same importance in the endgame as GRRM's major five (Jon, Tyrion, Arya, Dany and Bran). It's especially apparent in this interview where he mentions his major five but doesn't mention Sansa.

http://observationdeck.kinja.com/george-r-r-martin-the-complete-unedited-interview-886117845

When discussing the five year gap he also talks about how his major characters are learning.

Tyrion is already an adult character around 27 years of age so it makes sense for GRRM not to mention him since he shouldn't have much to learn. But if Sansa is a major character why would GRRM not mention her. Especially when he mentioned all his other major characters that are learning.

Sansa certainly appears to be a more important character than she was in the outline but I don't think she is in the same tier of importance as GRRM's major five. That's why the endgame Queen Sansa theories appear to be little more than wishful fantasies to me.

I applaud you. You got my thoughts on this down better than I could write it. 

As for the potential only 13 episodes left... It should be 16. 8 episodes per season. I believe this idea will work wonders for battles, ending storylines, getting to the climax and conclusion nicely without filler. 13 episodes is just a little too rushed but we will have to see what exactly happens this season/ what HBO and D and D confirm ( which should be soon). 

5 hours ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

Yeah it suggests plotlines like F/Aegon are just window dressing to the main event, or something that can easily be pushed into other character arcs or events. 

I think this is suggesting the opposite as cutting Aegon is cutting a big chunk of the story out hence why they can finish in basically two seasons 

1 minute ago, Lord_Ravenstone said:

I think this is suggesting the opposite as cutting Aegon is cutting a big chunk of the story out hence why they can finish in basically two seasons 

They could have cut Euron instead of Aegon, so this suggests to me that unfortunately Aegon isn't relevant to the end game, despite having been introduced in Book 5, I still think their choices w/Dorne were very strange and I still don't understand plotwise why we got the sand snakes instead of Arianne or why if no Arianne/Aegon, why have them at all, why not cut Dorne like they said they had originally intended?  It's another clue that nothing about Dorne is necessary to the major storylines.

It's all just very frustrating.  They really can't finish the series with the time remaining (just think about Sam).  But then they wasted so much time in earlier seasons - Tyrion spending almost all of S4 in jail, Arya and the Hound, etc.  They didn't plan this well. 

Archived