GAME OF THRONES to end 13 episodes after the end of Season 6

Werthead

1 hour ago, Kyrion said:

Come to think of it, maybe the war of the five kings filler should have been cut and go straight to the red wedding after Season 1. I mean that's basically what the show is doing now, cutting huge amount of content to hurry up and rush the show to a conclusion.

Cutting Aegon is like cutting the main plot to get to the conclusion, and its also the human heart in conflict with itself, second dance of the dragons is Dany going against a member of her family or at least someone that could be, and they show says **** that filler, D&D have other projects they want to do they talked about in interviews adapting other stories, so screw GOT end the show ASAP.

Remember the fears that D&D were Red Wedding and done? Here it is in fruition. Red Wedding was all they cared about.

happy yo know I'm not alone thinking similar

7 minutes ago, Calibandar said:

The variety article does also mention two other things though:

One being that sources have informed them that the number of 13 is premature and still up for debate.

Second is that Michael Lombardo says he and HBO are in negotiations with the showrunners on how many episodes there will be, and that nothing has been decided yet.

So while this is news and it could indeed be only 13 more episodes, it seems HBO will try to push for a bit more at least, 13 seems to be the absolute minimum. Maybe it will end up being 15 episodes instead.

So it is wait and see for now until they have decided. What it does indicate to me that is that season 6 will cover significant ground in the overall narrative, and that Winds of Winter is likely to the same in the novel series.

Yes, I know....but negotiations for some more episodes? the difference is 13-20 it's seven......so, maybe, at the most, will be 16.

It's like they already knew it can't be improved! Everything can be improved, and more episodes, with good writing should always be welcome.

And if they are doing two seasons, contracts shouldn't be a problem.

Quality is what matters

34 minutes ago, 239JMFL34109 said:

he stop going to all the convention this year cause the series caught up with the show. hell the only reason we got dance with dragons i think is because the show came out. 

Remember they started working on this show with casting and getting directors and etc.. way back in 2007. Sean bean got cast in 2009 two years before dance with dragons. 

That's true, as well......

I think that when George finishes Winds (let's say this year?) he could join again GOT team and help to finish the show, writing some episodes as well, so we would have more episodes at least for s8, because I'm afraid S7 is being planned and written right now

That's my wishful thinking, after all, ADOS won't be finished until.....who knows when, so I think he could help finishing the sotry he began.

I don't think writing is the problem; production is. Expenses for those new episodes will be ever higher (more and more battles and special effects needed) and the shooting schedules will be stretched.

8 minutes ago, Wouter said:

I don't think writing is the problem; production is. Expenses for those new episodes will be ever higher (more and more battles and special effects needed) and the shooting schedules will be stretched.

That's true. But it could be argueed that not all the episodes would focus on expensive battles. What if there are also other things to tell?

I don't know the ending, so I'm just speculating. But even in the midle of a battle, there's space for other things.

8 hours ago, Meera of Tarth said:

From my experience as an watcher of the show, the more episodes, the better the story is. But of course, I don't know the ending, so I could be wrong. If the fillers are going to be brothels, I'm fine with less episodes; but if the episodes had more character's development, it would be preferable to have more of episodes. Rushing things is not good.

The other thing I want to point out is that they could call George. I mean, if the two remaining books (not published) are going to be 3500 pages how will they be covered in 13 episodes (or 16 if some parts are from s6)? Asos was adapted in season 3 and 4 (20 episodes) and they are they are amazing.

Well, they have called George, so to speak. They've gone through all the main character storylines and plotlines, in the sense of knowing where George is going and how things will end. But because George is still working out the details of how to get to those specific endings, they have to choose their own way forward on those plotlines, even if the ultimate outcomes are mostly the same.

I do agree with you that more episodes would be nice if they are doing two more seasons. But it seems ever since they had their sitdown with George a year or two ago they've been consistent in their 70-75 episodes estimations. Apparently they just don't feel there is more content than 13-15 episodes after season 6. D&D in general seem to give an impression of really wanting episodes to be packed and are willing to change and cut the novels as they see fit, with mixed results. And of course as even they have admitted recently, there have still have been lesser, slower episodes each season. They say this is only not the case in season 6.

7 minutes ago, Calibandar said:

Well, they have called George, so to speak. They've gone through all the main character storylines and plotlines, in the sense of knowing where George is going and how things will end. But because George is still working out the details of how to get to those specific endings, they have to choose their own way forward on those plotlines, even if the ultimate outcomes are mostly the same.

I do agree with you that more episodes would be nice if they are doing two more seasons. But it seems ever since they had their sitdown with George a year or two ago they've been consistent in their 70-75 episodes estimations. Apparently they just don't feel there is more content than 13-15 episodes after season 6. D&D in general seem to give an impression of really wanting episodes to be packed and are willing to change and cut the novels as they see fit, with mixed results. And of course as even they have admitted recently, there have still have been lesser, slower episodes each season. They say this is only not the case in season 6.

Yes, but a season 8 with George in it would be just perfect for me :)

Season 6 won't be slower, it can't be :)

7 minutes ago, Lady of Butterflies said:

Personally, I doubt that HBO will allow that there are only more 13 episodes. Or they will keep the 10 episodes per season or there will be a season 9 with 6-7 episodes.

I really hope there are many more!!

By the way, I like your new avatar. It's a new pic released from Bran in S6?

HBO has said they want the show to go 10 seasons. Same with GRRM, in fact they may have got the 10 seasons thing from George, but D&D wanted 70 hours and dont want 10 seasons despite the story demanding 10 seasons to tell its story, so D&D took the knife, and cut the hell out of it particularly Stannis and Aegon. Now, we have to see a cut up story.

Kind of like the scouring of the shire being cut from LOTR. Its the main point of the story, its the damn theme of his story about war, yet it didnt make the movies. Same with the dance is the human heart in conflict with itself the main theme, yet it doesnt even make the series.

Cause D&D dont want to give the series to someone else to showrun and damper their reputation a bit like the showrunner of the vampire show on HBO Elio/Ran mentioned before, someone like Bryan Cogman to take over the show and leave the show in his hands cause they are just too busy and cant see their family, rather they want to just end the show early.

6 minutes ago, Meera of Tarth said:

I really hope there are many more!!

By the way, I like your new avatar. It's a new pic released from Bran in S6?

They have no other successful show at the time. I doubt they will allow it.

Thank you! Yes, it's a new pic with Bran from Season 6. I'm looking for a full version of this photo.

10 minutes ago, Lady of Butterflies said:

They have no other successful show at the time. I doubt they will allow it.

Thank you! Yes, it's a new pic with Bran from Season 6. I'm looking for a full version of this photo.

We have started a new thread exclusively about Bran in Season 6 (his powers and how it could be related to the books) and we were looking to all the new material released about Bran, so your avatar is new for me :). There's a sister thread only about the books too.

Just in case you are interested: 

4 hours ago, Humble AK said:

I'm amused at the current irony that so many of those who dislike the show seem to want more of it, and so many who enjoy how the show is being handled are of the opinion that less is more.

I don't know what is in the future for the books or the show, but my speculation is that GRRM doesn't have two Storm sized books left, he has three or four, and yes, D&D are going to compress all that material into 23 or so episodes. I think it can be done well. D&D have specifically avoided getting into the quagmire that GRRM will be dealing with for the rest of his life - GRRM obsesses with the butterfly effect, and exploring every little detail, and that had served him well for the first three books before things truly got out of control for him. D&D have, with mixed by mostly positive results, sidestepped that problem and kept the plot focused.

Doing six to seven episodes a season will allow the budget and time to make the best final thirteen episodes they can make. They can spend more time on the writing, rehearsals, staging and VFX, etc. The same effect could have been achieved by just taking a long two-year hiatus between this season and the final one, but HBO clearly isn't interested in doing that, so...here we are.

Anyway, it seems that the showrunners have been pretty consistent with the ballpark figure of seventy or so episodes for many years, so it seems that, unlike GRRM, they've managed to stay on target, so good for them.

You call Jon's, Dany's, Cat's, Stannis', Jaime's and Sansa's plotlines mostly positive? 

7 minutes ago, Meera of Tarth said:

We have started a new thread exclusively about Bran in Season 6 (his powers and how it could be related to the books) and we were looking to all the new material released about Bran, so your avatar is new for me :). There's a sister thread only about the books too.

Just in case you are interested: 

Thank you! I just posted the photo in the thread.

4 hours ago, The Arthur Smith said:

Probably Doran will be more relevant than we we thought and since they cut (f)Aegon, than they cut Arianne as well. I don't know.

When it comes to fAegon, i felt that GRMM never intended to bring him in the series until later when he scrapped the 5 years gap, just so to accelerate the plot or so forth, particularly for Dany.

Heck, they even cast Aeron. I'm surprised on this and they could have easily cast another drowned priest to make the Kingsmoot event. 

Aegon's been planned from book one. Book two at worst but probably book one.

2 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

But we know that some of the subplots aren't going anywhere, Quentyn is dead, his story went nowhere.  Ditto for Oakheart.  I'm pretty sure the Damphair isn't going to play any kind of central role  But, even if he is, at some point, the story has to stop growing and focus on the main characters, stories and themes.  While I find the books much superior to the show, especially in it's later seasons, the last two books were quite meandering.  You can't put every single idea that you have in a novel or a series because if you do it will balloon out of control....which is sadly where a fair number of people think GRRM is now.

Aerys had one chapter, man. And he opened up a space for Robert Strong to save Cersei's ass at her trial. But I also hate his chapter. He's just not a big deal though.

Quentyn's story breaks an alliance between Dany and Dorne and pushes Dorne to Aegon's camp. Not only that but his chapters have thematic value about adventure and how it's not all it's cracked up to be and the price of revenge.

Archived