HelenaExMachina

Good Omens, Mort and The City Watch

26 posts in this topic

Some news concerning some of Pratchett's work being adapted for TV/film including a feature film for the 1987 novel Mort, with Terry Rossio as writer, and a crime of the week TV series for The City Watch. Perhaps most interesting (and touching, yes I'm a sentimental sod) is that Neil Gaiman will be writing a Good Omens miniseries;

Quote

Neil Gaiman, the author and longtime friend of Sir Terry Pratchett, has announced he will be writing the adaptation of their co-authored novel Good Omens for the screen.

Gaiman had previously said he would not adapt their 1990 fantasy novel about the end of the world without Pratchett, who died in March 2015 from a rare form of Alzheimer’s disease. Before his death, Gaiman wrote a BBC Radio 4 adaptation of Good Omens, which broadcast in 2014 and included a cameo from Pratchett; at the time, Gaiman said he had agreed to adapt it because: “I want Terry to be able to enjoy this while he’s still able to.”

But Gaiman, who flew into London on Thursday night for a memorial event for Pratchett at the Barbican, announced to whistles and cheers that he would be personally adapting the book for television. He said he had been spurred to change his mind when he was presented with a letter from Pratchett, intended to be read after his death

I love the Good Omens novel, so a TV adaptation is something I would be really excited about. And Gaiman writing it is promising...and touching that he is doing it in response to a posthumous request from Pratchett.

The fan-funded film adaptation of Troll Bridge was also confirmed to still be in the works by the Guardian article, as well as a feature film adaptation of The Wee Free Men by his daughter Rhianna

Edited by HelenaExMachina

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd love a City Watch show.  But I'm terrified I'd hate it.  I have more faith in a mini-series for some reason.  

Having a hard time seeing Mort adapting to screen but I'll give it a go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good Omens was funny. I especially liked the

Spoiler

... four horsemen.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, W. Wrycthen said:

Good Omens was funny. I especially liked the

  Reveal hidden contents

... four horsemen.

 

Really Cool People was my favorite.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

David Tenant and Michael Sheen cast in Good Omens

Quote

The show is set in 2018 on the brink of an apocalypse as humanity prepares for a final judgment. But Aziraphale, a somewhat fussy angel, and Crowley, a demon, aren’t enthusiastic about the end of the world, and can’t seem to find the Antichrist. Sheen will play the role of Aziraphale, while Tennant will play Crowley. It will consist of six one-hour episodes.

From the same article, some stuff that is always of interest on the forum in term she of distribution

Quote

Following its exclusive launch on Amazon Prime Video, the series will also be broadcast on BBC in the U.K. First-run rights for markets where Prime Video doesn’t operate will be distributed by BBC Worldwide, which will also handle second-run rights internationally.

 

Edited by HelenaExMachina

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Absolutely delightful casting!

 

 

Can't help noticing that the BBC article on this (BBC co-producers, and distributors) starts with "According to Variety..." as if it's news to them...

Edited by Which Tyler

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Those are two great hires! The critical part will be the casting of The Them. I found them to be the funniest part of the book but comedy is hard. I wonder if they might age them up a few years?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd hope not. There should be good actors around of the right age for Them. Stranger Things found some, no reason Good Omens can't.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Denvek said:

I'd hope not. There should be good actors around of the right age for Them. Stranger Things found some, no reason Good Omens can't.

Stranger Things' strong casting was my first thought about that too. There are talented child actors out there, its just a trick of finding them.

I love Good Omens so I'm very excited about an adaptation. Hope it captures the comedy of the book, which had me laughing aloud several times

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Stranger Things' strong casting was my first thought about that too. There are talented child actors out there, its just a trick of finding them.

I love Good Omens so I'm very excited about an adaptation. Hope it captures the comedy of the book, which had me laughing aloud several times

I love Good Omens too.  I'm a huge fan of Terry Pratchett's books but I've never seen a TV adaptation that's worked for me so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this one will, especially as Neil Gaiman is very involved with it.  We'll see.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Ser Quork said:

I love Good Omens too.  I'm a huge fan of Terry Pratchett's books but I've never seen a TV adaptation that's worked for me so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this one will, especially as Neil Gaiman is very involved with it.  We'll see.

I kind of liked The Hogfather, or at least if memory serves I did. It's been far too long since I saw it to say with certainty. But yeah, I think Gaiman being involved makes a successful adaptation more likely. He has experience with TV and film, he understands what works on page vs screen, can advise on whether the humour is on track etc. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/17/2017 at 6:08 PM, HelenaExMachina said:

I kind of liked The Hogfather, or at least if memory serves I did. It's been far too long since I saw it to say with certainty. But yeah, I think Gaiman being involved makes a successful adaptation more likely. He has experience with TV and film, he understands what works on page vs screen, can advise on whether the humour is on track etc. 

I recently watched the Hogfather movie/mini series with my mom, who I have recently introduced to the Discworld series as a whole. We both enjoyed it (I love Death especially), even though I think it's greatest weakness was a sense of poor pacing. The CGI was of course, cheap, but used sparingly. (cameo of the Death of Rats!) 

I love the idea of a City Watch procedural series. I think a mini series or a short run initially (like how British TV seasons tend to be shorter than American ones) would work best, just to avoid filler and such. 

And yay for the casting for Good Omens! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now that the casting is underway, I got one dream casting hope: Karen Gillan as War. :drool:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Which Tyler said:

 

The hair coloring for both is rather fitting: blonde hair has always been seen as angelic while gingers have often been portrayed as evil. I also love the inclusion of the infamous duck pond. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I always picture Rita Hayworth as War....maybe they can CGI her the way they did Peter Cushing (his CGI would make a good Famine) :mellow:

Eta

But what do I know? I'm the guy who pictures Ron Jeremy as Theon Greyjoy. :mellow:

 

Edited by Knight of Ashes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Knight of Ashes said:

I always picture Rita Hayworth as War....maybe they can CGI her the way they did Peter Cushing (his CGI would make a good Famine) :mellow:

Eta

But what do I know? I'm the guy who pictures Ron Jeremy as Theon Greyjoy. :mellow:

 

This Ron Jeremy? :blink:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now