Why was Bloodraven given Dark Sister?

Valens

Did anybody ever wonder about this? 'Cause it does seem like an odd choice, BR being an archer first and foremost and not as accomplished with the sword as Aegor obviously, yet Aegor didn't get it, for some reason. It just seems since he was born Bittersteel was just pushed away and treated badly by his father. Not that there was no love between them, since I read Aegon once visited him in Stone Hedge, but he somehow just found himself bypassed always. Anyway, Dark Sister's whereabouts, that's what I'd like to know. Very interesting. Did Bloodraven leave it behind, did he lose it when he had to take the black? I'd say so, because he was dishonorably given that choice. But if Dark Sister stayed behind in King's Landing, where is it? I think it's possible BR took it with him. But again, WHERE IS IT?? Anyway, returning to the main topic, why DID Bloodraven get that sword instead of Aegor?

It's maybe a wink to Visenya, who was said to be well versed in sorcery and also wielded Dark Sister. Mostly, I think it's because it sounds cool: "Brynden Bloodraven, with Dark Sister hung across his back". One shouldn't understimate George's hobbie of making things sound cool, without having to justify the mix with a complex theory.

I would guess his lifelong Targaryen loyalty had something to do with it. Despite being dubious and having questionable reputation, maybe Aegon just saw the better man in him?

Also we don´t know exactly about his skill as a swordsman. He might be just as good as, or even better than, Bittersteel. Blackfyre was historically passed down from father to son while Dark Sister was handed to the best Targaryen fighter. Obviously we shouldn´t expect Aegon the Unworthy to feel obligated to this, but since he gave Blackfyre to Daemon, his preferred successor, I think he propably was. Why do you think Aegor was the better swordsman? I can´t think of anything pointing to either one. Surely BR must have been exceptional if he was given Dark Sister. My best guess is that it was a toss up between them and BR was deemed more worthy personality wise.

Also I think he took the sword with him to the wall, it´s still in his cave and ready to play a role in the battle for the dawn.

28 minutes ago, Ser Tristan Flowers said:

I would guess his lifelong Targaryen loyalty had something to do with it. Despite being dubious and having questionable reputation, maybe Aegon just saw the better man in him?

Also we don´t know exactly about his skill as a swordsman. He might be just as good as, or even better than, Bittersteel. Blackfyre was historically passed down from father to son while Dark Sister was handed to the best Targaryen fighter. Obviously we shouldn´t expect Aegon the Unworthy to feel obligated to this, but since he gave Blackfyre to Daemon, his preferred successor, I think he propably was. Why do you think Aegor was the better swordsman? I can´t think of anything pointing to either one. Surely BR must have been exceptional if he was given Dark Sister. My best guess is that it was a toss up between them and BR was deemed more worthy personality wise.

Also I think he took the sword with him to the wall, it´s still in his cave and ready to play a role in the battle for the dawn.

Just because BR was said to use more his bow, thats why. And he was stronger physically, Bittersteel. Even tho Brynden is described as a "strong warrior", he is also described as less physically formidable than his half-brothers.

1 minute ago, Valens said:

Just because BR was said to use more his bow, thats why. And he was stronger physically, Bittersteel. Even tho Brynden is described as a "strong warrior", he is also described as less physically formidable than his half-brothers.

Fair enough. I don´t know why Bittersteel didn´t get the blade. Maybe Bloodraven was more skilled, quicker, better. Maybe Bittersteel showed tendencies of the treacherous scum he would later become.  We can only guess.

Was Bloodraven not like 9 or 10 years when his Aegon died? So Dark Sister would probably be given to him by his Dareon? And Dareon would certainly prefer a son of Melissa Blackwood over Bittersteel?  

15 minutes ago, Tijgy said:

Was Bloodraven not like 9 or 10 years when his Aegon died? So Dark Sister would probably be given to him by his Dareon? And Dareon would certainly prefer a son of Melissa Blackwood over Bittersteel?  

Yes, he was 9 but I think he got the sword from Aegon, perhaps not personally, probably not, but he decided it should pass to him. I sorta understand why noone else got it, except for Bittersteel, for there were no other Targaryens worthy of the sword right then. Daeron certainly wasn't. Another possible reason is that Dark Sister was a slender sword and thus more suited for the slender-built Bloodraven than the brawny Aegor.

5 hours ago, King Merrett I Frey said:

It's maybe a wink to Visenya, who was said to be well versed in sorcery and also wielded Dark Sister. Mostly, I think it's because it sounds cool: "Brynden Bloodraven, with Dark Sister hung across his back". One shouldn't understimate George's hobbie of making things sound cool, without having to justify the mix with a complex theory.

Hells yeah, the most memorable historical characters are the ones with cool names and nicknames: Bittersteel, Bloodraven, Shiera Seastar, The Sword of the Morning, Aemon the Dragonknight etc. and then the contemporary ones: The Red Viper, The Hound, The Mountain, The Kingslayer, Darkstar etc.

Dark Sister is an undeniably awesome sword name for a character with an awesome nickname

• 2 weeks later...

Bloodraven probably got the sword from a combination of loyalty to the king, excellence at arms and his slender build, that suited the blade. 

When discussing BR ability with a sword it must be remembered that in the original plan BR lost an eye and Bittersteel lost a hand when they dueled, the plan was latter scrapped to avoid similarities between Bittersteel and Jaime, but it goes to show that in GRRM's mind they were closely matched wielding swords (although one could argue BR had an advantage because he had a valyrian blade). 

1 hour ago, Blade of Sunlight said:

(although one could argue BR had an advantage because he had a valyrian blade). 

I'm pretty sure that Bittersteel picked up Blackfyre from Daemon's corpse before his duel with Bloodraven.

On 4/29/2016 at 4:33 PM, Ser Tristan Flowers said:

Fair enough. I don´t know why Bittersteel didn´t get the blade. Maybe Bloodraven was more skilled, quicker, better. Maybe Bittersteel showed tendencies of the treacherous scum he would later become.  We can only guess.

I'm guessing because Daeron II didn't like Bittersteel and neither did most of the court. BR, and his mother, were somewhat darlings of the court

These are all plausible reasons for BR to be awarded Dark Sister.   Prince Daemon said Dark Sister had a thirst for blood.   Forged in sorcery and wielded by sorcerers, it's fairly clear this is a magic sword that flaunts its awesome magicness in part by its flashy wielders.   Blood Raven was destined for this sword by many virtues.    

I recently hosted a "find the swords" topic. Hands down, most readers believe Dark Sister is in the cave with Bran & Co.   It's also very popular thinking that Miss Meera will be the one to take Dark Sister from the cave.   That doesn't have to mean Meera will keep DS, but I agree that she will be the one to bring her back into the story.   

14 hours ago, Curled Finger said:

These are all plausible reasons for BR to be awarded Dark Sister.   Prince Daemon said Dark Sister had a thirst for blood.   Forged in sorcery and wielded by sorcerers, it's fairly clear this is a magic sword that flaunts its awesome magicness in part by its flashy wielders.   Blood Raven was destined for this sword by many virtues.    

Sounds like Elric and Stormbringer. 

• 8 months later...
On April 29, 2016 at 6:05 PM, PrinceHenryris said:

It might have had something to do with Naerys, Daeron, and the Dragoknight all liking Melissa Blackwood better than Barba Bracken.

I agree for some reason I feel like he got Dark Sister as an adult and not as a kid from The Unworthy but I could be wrong.

Nice thought @PrinceHenryris

On May 10, 2016 at 11:01 PM, Curled Finger said:

I recently hosted a "find the swords" topic. Hands down, most readers believe Dark Sister is in the cave with Bran & Co.   It's also very popular thinking that Miss Meera will be the one to take Dark Sister from the cave.   That doesn't have to mean Meera will keep DS, but I agree that she will be the one to bring her back into the story.   

Hell yeah I like Meera (temporarily) with Dark sister

Archived