Your favourite actors on the show

HashRouge

Despite the varying quality of the writing/ plotting, there are some actors on the show who have consistently impressed me. Michael McElhatton was an excellent choice for Roose Bolton - I just wish we'd had a bit more of him and a bit less of Ramsay! Stephen Dillane was brilliant as Stannis and I'm a big fan of Liam Cunningham's Davos. Very difficult not to like Rory McCann as the Hound, and a special mention for Pedro Pascal, who cheerfully stole season 4 in epic style.

Who are your favourites?

On ‎5‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 10:12 AM, HashRouge said:

Despite the varying quality of the writing/ plotting, there are some actors on the show who have consistently impressed me. Michael McElhatton was an excellent choice for Roose Bolton - I just wish we'd had a bit more of him and a bit less of Ramsay! Stephen Dillane was brilliant as Stannis and I'm a big fan of Liam Cunningham's Davos. Very difficult not to like Rory McCann as the Hound, and a special mention for Pedro Pascal, who cheerfully stole season 4 in epic style.

Who are your favourites?

Agree with all of this but I have to add Alfie Allen, he's been extraordinary as Theon/Reek.  And its all the more impressive when you consider he's had some of the most butchered plotlines and badly written filler.  Far more experienced actors (Peter Dinklage, Liam Cunningham, Stephen Dillane) have struggled to lend weight to the really bad scripts they've been given.  It might just be that being Reek is so much a physical performance (the Darth Maul effect, he stands out because he had less terrible lines to read) but he really stands out even when he's just fading into the background.  I would've loved to see him and Michael McElhatton do the scene in Barrowton where Roose claims Reek and Ramsay tries to tell him he can't.  And the crypts.  And the Heart Tree.  And Jeyne Poole.  And everything.

Also Lena Headey and Charles Dance.

7 minutes ago, thehandwipes said:

Agree with all of this but I have to add Alfie Allen, he's been extraordinary as Theon/Reek.  And its all the more impressive when you consider he's had some of the most butchered plotlines and badly written filler.  Far more experienced actors (Peter Dinklage, Liam Cunningham, Stephen Dillane) have struggled to lend weight to the really bad scripts they've been given.  It might just be that being Reek is so much a physical performance (the Darth Maul effect, he stands out because he had less terrible lines to read) but he really stands out even when he's just fading into the background.  I would've loved to see him and Michael McElhatton do the scene in Barrowton where Roose claims Reek and Ramsay tries to tell him he can't.  And the crypts.  And the Heart Tree.  And Jeyne Poole.  And everything.

Amen to that instead we're getting Uncharted 5: The dragon Queen's prize

10 minutes ago, thehandwipes said:

Yes funny you should say that actually - I was thinking quite recently that I'm not as impressed with Cunningham lately but it's not him, it's the quality of the script! In some ways I think it is a good job Tywin dies when he does, can you imagine having to watch Charles Dance say some of the clunky lines we've had recently! 

I agree with you about Allen too, he's been consistently good in a hard role. 

6 minutes ago, Dragon in the North said:

Stephen Dillane as Stannis Baratheon

Maisie Williams as Arya Stark

Rory McCann as The Hound

Charles Dance as Tywin Lannister

Sean Bean as Eddard Stark

Liam Cunningham as Davos Seaworth

Lena Heady as Cersei Lannister

Michelle Fairley as Catelyn Stark

I agree. Their scenes are a thing of beauty and masterful acting. 

Charles Dance as Tywin - powerful, intimidating performance. 

Liam Cunningham as Davos - you just want to hug the guy every time he's on screen. 

But for me, the best actor on the show:

Alfie Allen as Theon - I could write an essay on just how impressive he is. 

In 6 seasons, he's played:

• A proud, pompous asshole
  • An ambitious, opportunistic punk
  • A defeated, broken man
  • A sympathetic, redeemed individual

And after having watched the leaked episode 6, it looks like we might even be getting further evolution of Theon's character. 

In a show that has lots of complex characters, Alfie Allen's portrayal of Theon has never left you wondering what the character's motivations are. 

Just brilliant

1 hour ago, TickTak7 said:

In 6 seasons, he's played:

• A proud, pompous asshole
  • An ambitious, opportunistic punk
  • A defeated, broken man
  • A sympathetic, redeemed individual

And after having watched the leaked episode 6, it looks like we might even be getting further evolution of Theon's character. 

In a show that has lots of complex characters, Alfie Allen's portrayal of Theon has never left you wondering what the character's motivations are. 

Just brilliant

I'd add that in the first half he could also squeeze some undertones of a conflicted man who didn't have a proper place in the world and was desperate to prove himself. Alfie is my no 1.

I liked all the Lannisters: Lena Heady, NCK and Peter Dinklage awesomely brought to life their characters when they got the chance. And Charles Dance was a perfect Tywin.

Pedro Pascal was a wonder and perfect for the role too.

Jerome Flynn is a fantastic Bronn.

Gwendoline Christie, whatever became of her character.

I came around for Sophie Turner, whatever they give her, and regardless of how much sense it makes, her performance is good.

Jack Gleeson <3

I really liked Conleth Hill back in his KL days. And Aidan Gillen can be very creepy (though lately I start to wonder if it's deliberate).

Diana Rigg and Natalie Dormer certainly make their characters memorable.

I also like Iwan Rheon and Indira Varma despite of who they are playing.

Oh, and from the past, Richard Madden was the perfect Robb (though I may be biased because of his sheer sexiness).

From the minor league, Natalia Tena as Osha.

So yeah, I'd say GoT overall has a very good cast.

Really been warming to the guy who plays Tormund in the show. Obviously a different conception of the show (a lack of har!), but he's put across Tormund's humour quite well and comes across as an incredibly authentic warrior. His increase in importance since he became the central Wildling figure has helped out a lot.

An awful lot of dead characters are being mentioned.  Did the OP mean to include ALL the actors, or the ones we have now?  Because Catelyn, Oberon,Nedd, Stannis, and Tywin are long gone.  I have read that Gillian Anderson tested for the role of Cersie and I think she could have been a far better Cersei than the one we have, even though Lena Headey is doing a good job with a one note part.  Gillian Anderson is more nuanced and I think we would get a deeper, more complex portrayal of Cersei.  

Because no one has mentioned them so far - I adore Sophie Turner and Emilia Clarke.   

And no - not *just* because of their looks.  Though that certainly helps.

Who else - who is it that played Bronn?  He's pretty cool.

Of course the 'BIG 4 or 5 got tons of mention.  Pretty sure Dinklage is the best of them all.

Can't wait for tonight's episode!

Charles Dance, Rory McCann, Paul Kaye, Liam Cunningham, Richard Dormer, Sean Bean, Mark Addy, Carice van Houten, Francis Magee, Ross O'Hennessy. All of 'em did justice to their character, were memorable, and made me like the show-version of their character even more than the book one. Granted, the fact that I've seen and enjoyed some of these actors' other work plays a factor, but regardless - their performance on the show was on point.  

I think the show is for the most part, stupendously cast.

Barring age differences with otherwise perfect castings like The Hound and Brienne. But they're so good you don't mind.

My favorites are probably Stephen Dillane, Alfie Allen, and Kristian Nairn. With just one word, Kristian conveys such a variety of emotions. He's got one of the seemingly easiest roles, but I bet it's a lot harder than most think. And he pulled it off flawlessly. He's just saying Hodor, but we can feel the true joy, terror, and everything between. 

59 minutes ago, Wyman Manderly's Meat Pies said:

I think the show is for the most part, stupendously cast.

Barring age differences with otherwise perfect castings like The Hound and Brienne. But they're so good you don't mind.

My favorites are probably Stephen Dillane, Alfie Allen, and Kristian Nairn. With just one word, Kristian conveys such a variety of emotions. He's got one of the seemingly easiest roles, but I bet it's a lot harder than most think. And he pulled it off flawlessly. He's just saying Hodor, but we can feel the true joy, terror, and everything between. 

Spoiler

I've got bad news for you!

11 hours ago, Tianzi said:

I'd add that in the first half he could also squeeze some undertones of a conflicted man who didn't have a proper place in the world and was desperate to prove himself. Alfie is my no 1.

I liked all the Lannisters: Lena Heady, NCK and Peter Dinklage awesomely brought to life their characters when they got the chance. And Charles Dance was a perfect Tywin.

Pedro Pascal was a wonder and perfect for the role too.

Jerome Flynn is a fantastic Bronn.

Gwendoline Christie, whatever became of her character.

I came around for Sophie Turner, whatever they give her, and regardless of how much sense it makes, her performance is good.

Jack Gleeson <3

I really liked Conleth Hill back in his KL days. And Aidan Gillen can be very creepy (though lately I start to wonder if it's deliberate).

Diana Rigg and Natalie Dormer certainly make their characters memorable.

I also like Iwan Rheon and Indira Varma despite of who they are playing.

Oh, and from the past, Richard Madden was the perfect Robb (though I may be biased because of his sheer sexiness).

From the minor league, Natalia Tena as Osha.

So yeah, I'd say GoT overall has a very good cast.

This post really highlights just how incredible Game of Thrones' casting department is. 

It's hard having a show with so many different characters - that Thrones has managed to make so many of them so memorable, to so many people, is actually pretty damn incredible. 

Out of everyone left Alfie Allen and Liam Cunnigham (Although he isnt in character). Dear god Kit harrington, Emilia Clarke and Sophie Turner are absolutely awful and its made worse that they're the faces of the show and their infinitely more experienced and interesting supporting cast have been gutted.

16 hours ago, lakin1013 said:

An awful lot of dead characters are being mentioned.  Did the OP mean to include ALL the actors, or the ones we have now?  Because Catelyn, Oberon,Nedd, Stannis, and Tywin are long gone.  I have read that Gillian Anderson tested for the role of Cersie and I think she could have been a far better Cersei than the one we have, even though Lena Headey is doing a good job with a one note part.  Gillian Anderson is more nuanced and I think we would get a deeper, more complex portrayal of Cersei.  

Quite happy for people to include actors who play long-dead characters :)

Gillian Anderson would have made an extraordinary Cersei, I can just imagine it!

19 hours ago, TickTak7 said:

Episode 6 was leaked as well?

For me, definitely Stephan Dillane and Liam Cunningham - they made Stannis' story line one of my favorite on the show but I think you can tell Liam is suffering from the dialogue. I also think Mark Addy as Robert Baratheon nailed it completely in his short time on the show. And of course Jack Gleeson was great as Geoffrey, I also admire Richard Madden as Robb Stark, he definitely did the role justice. Rory McCann as the Hound was outstanding.

In terms of characters still alive I always found Nikolaj Coster-Waldau to be particularly enjoyable as Jaime and his monologue in season 3 to Brienne was one of the best scenes of that season.

Aiden Gillen's portrayal of Littlefinger is a part of the show I always look forward to and it pleases me to know he's sticking around for the foreseeable future, although something tells me the role isn't that demanding of Aiden Gillen - but nevertheless he is a great actor. 

I always enjoyed Peter Dinklage as Tyrion however this season it is waning, but I think thats more to do with the material than Peter. Along with Iain Glen as Jorah - he has been great and provided a great adaptation of the character but it wasn't how I imagined the book character, but nevertheless he has portrayed him brilliantly.

Last but not least, Jerome Flynt as Bronn - always a pleasure to watch.

Sophie Turner, Emilia Clarke and Kit Harrington are okay and fulfill their roles in the show well but I wouldn't say they are in the same brass as the ones mentioned above.

Archived