BEST COVERS EVAR!!!!

Manhole Eunuchsbane

I've been partial to Belá Fleck's version of Help on the Way from the new Day of the Dead album. In addition to Belá, it's got Edgar Meyer on upright bass and Zakir Hussain (!!!!!) on tabla, so you know it's good. Unfortunately, there's not a version on youtube I could find, but I believe it's on spotify.

I've been loving White Denim's version of Steely Dan's Peg:

Robert Plant and Allison Krause's version of Tom Waits' Trampled Rose is also a favorite. It's amazing how the song seems to be about something completely different without actually changing a single lyric.

Not sure if any of these are BEST EVAR!!!!11 but they're really good and have been on my mind lately.

Jamie N Commons - Wish You Were Here

Coldplay- Fight for your Right (there's something unfathomably compelling about this)

4 hours ago, matt b said:

Not sure if any of these are BEST EVAR!!!!11 but they're really good and have been on my mind lately.

I mean, if we're talking objectively the BEST EVAR!!! then the answer is Johnny Cash's Hurt (with honourable mentions to Joan Jett's I Love Rock 'n' Roll and Jay-Z's 99 Problems if you count that), but if we all just posted that the topic would be boring.

David Bowie's cover of Pink Floyd's See Emily Play

Jeff Buckley's cover of Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah 

Patti Smith's cover of Them's Gloria

(Though this one's so different from the original that I don't know that it can really be called a cover)

11 minutes ago, Myshkin said:

(Though this one's so different from the original that I don't know that it can really be called a cover)

The ones that are vastly different from the originals are the ones I like best.

This is why I'm one of the few people on Earth who actually seemed to like Scissor Sisters' cover of Comfortably Numb.

Archived