Are The Freys As Creepy Looking In The Books

Ssangkall

My friend the other day referred to The Freys as the "white trash" of Westeros. I think Walder Fray in the show is spot on from the books (maybe even less old/icky) but the others I don't remember. I think the show is trying really hard to paint them as this lesser house that has been looked down on but we aren't supposed to feel bad for them because Walder is the worst so we're supposed to look down on them too, I guess. 

They certainly do have a look that is really different from everyone else who belongs to a noble house. 

http://gameofthrones.wikia.com/wiki/Costumes:_The_Seven_Kingdoms

Apparently it's on purpose - they all get shabby clothing to show that Walder is a miserable bastard eho is not willing to spend money even on the very basic things like clothes for his family or upkeep of the family home.

5 minutes ago, SerMixalot said:

The GoT Freys remind me of the McPoyles

Came here to say just that. They're totally the McPoyles of Westeros. 

I think the casting of the Freys was spot on. They all look vaguely like weasels, though I randomly noticed that they recast Lothar this season, who used to be played by Thick Kevin from Pirate Radio. 

Jaime's chapters in A Feast for Crows describe their facial appearance as "stoat"-ish, and looking like weasels.  I don't remember anything about clothes, but probably nothing special there either.  But their facial appearance - definitely creepy.

1 hour ago, Nevets said:

Jaime's chapters in A Feast for Crows describe their facial appearance as "stoat"-ish, and looking like weasels.  I don't remember anything about clothes, but probably nothing special there either.  But their facial appearance - definitely creepy.

IDK they obviously don't go out of their way to cast absurdly attractive people like your typical TV, but makeup and clothing make a lot of difference. l mean look at Gilly's makeover - night an day.

8 minutes ago, Maid So Fair said:

IDK they obviously don't go out of their way to cast absurdly attractive people like your typical TV, but makeup and clothing make a lot of difference. l mean look at Gilly's makeover - night an day.

Come on now, Maid So Fair (er I mean Sam) eyes up here

9 hours ago, SerMixalot said:

Gilly nearly tripped over his tongue

He must be kicking himself for not having found that loophole earlier. And also for not having given her the traditional gift of perfumed soap.

They are at least as bad in the books:

"She’s prettier than I dared hope." Edmure raised a hand before she could speak. "I know there are more important things, spare me the sermon, septa. Even so ... did you see some of those other maids Frey trotted out? The one with the twitch? Was that the shaking sickness? And those twins had more craters and eruptions on their faces than Petyr Pimple. When I saw that lot, I knew Roslin would be bald and one-eyed, with Jinglebell’s wits and Black Walder’s temper. But she seems gentle as well as fair."

But the Frey are not the only creepy family. Lysa Arryn and Sweet Robin for example.

On 6/16/2016 at 1:11 PM, The Dames do Moan said:

It's the hats in the show I think. That's what it is for me anyway.

Yeah, whats with those hats? Who would willingly  wear those things? What purpose do they serve? Functionality?  They look rediculous and really creepy.

Archived