What was the point? [Spoilers]

38 minutes ago, aryagonnakill#2 said:

Blahsdfjsdkfskdjf.  LF always wins teleporter contests!!!

Pfff... for all we know Arya, LF and Varys could be the same faceless man. As long as he/she/it can teleport, it's all possible.

56 minutes ago, twilight said:

True fans remember what they did ;)

The question is as well how much Arya knows about all that. Appearantly the whole planet tells this story, but usually it's bullshit, as we all have seen.

She was there. She saw Grey Wind die. She saw Grey Wind's head sewn on Robb's body.

As for teleporting... she left the House of Black and White two episodes ago. Jon and Sansa went around the north trying to find allies. Seems like plenty enough time for her to sail to Westeros.

1 minute ago, RoamingRonin said:

She was there. She saw Grey Wind die. She saw Grey Wind's head sewn on Robb's body.

As for teleporting... she left the House of Black and White two episodes ago. Jon and Sansa went around the north trying to find allies. Seems like plenty enough time for her to sail to Westeros.

You're right. When I had a look at the map I saw that Braavos is not that far. I bet you can spit that distance. It's still interesting to see how long Sam can travel in comparison.

Hm. Well, maybe he and Gilly are usually to busy to continue the travel.

22 hours ago, CrypticWeirwood said:

So you would have preferred that a big message on a black fade-in screen each time saying things like “Three months later” instead?  

That would have been utterly lame. They aren't stupid enough to do that, and you know that everyone would hate it.

So you need to learn that the stories are not strictly linear without jumps nor aligned with each other in time.

I can't understand why some people are spitting man about this trivial and in this case essential device.

Then why not space out Arya's storyline throughout the season more to alleviate timeline confusion?

They chose to have Tyrion, on 2 separate occasions, piss away screentime telling jokes with Grey Worm and Missandei. You're telling me that shit was more important then setting up the rest of the Season?

It was poorly done and confusing to people who haven't read the books (of which several I know WERE confused). 

And you need to learn that criticism is warranted for this Season. The quality has dropped storywise the more budget they put into the show. That's odd isn't it?

7 minutes ago, Tchzaelous said:

And you need to learn that criticism is warranted for this Season.

People who go into something looking to be entertained are more apt to experience that pleasure than those going into something looking to complain, who will also find what they were looking to find.

Everything is imperfect, but there's no reason to fixate on that and plenty of reason not to. The world is what you make of it.  If you want to look for imperfections instead of achievements, then you are only hurting yourself.

1 hour ago, CrypticWeirwood said:

People who go into something looking to be entertained are more apt to experience that pleasure than those going into something looking to complain, who will also find what they were looking to find.

Everything is imperfect, but there's no reason to fixate on that and plenty of reason not to. The world is what you make of it.  If you want to look for imperfections instead of achievements, then you are only hurting yourself.

In that case thanks darling for the horns, you now have more experience and are happier. Remember, always look at the bright side, and tell that to cercei.

On June 27, 2016 at 9:05 PM, Ser Catspaw said:

What was the point of having:

Reveal hidden contents

Walder Frey's sons cooked into a pie if Arya didn't let him eat it?  Would have made for a much more compelling revenge story if he had unknowingly cannibalized his sons, a la Shakespeare's Titus Andronicus.

Because this is Game of Thrones, and not Titus Andronicus. 

I've come to accept that magic and traveling in Westeros is not far-fetched at best. Varys, Baelish, and Arya travel at warp speed, but it took Sam and Gilly all summer to get to the Citadel. He should've arrived at the Citadel sooner if the writers had a baseline of how traveling works in this series because Baelish can get from KL, to the Vale, near the Wall, and to WF in a manner of episodes. Now, that's just not fair to Sam and Gilly. 

2 hours ago, Lady Stouthearted said:

I've come to accept that magic and traveling in Westeros is not far-fetched at best. Varys, Baelish, and Arya travel at warp speed, but it took Sam and Gilly all summer to get to the Citadel. He should've arrived at the Citadel sooner if the writers had a baseline of how traveling works in this series because Baelish can get from KL, to the Vale, near the Wall, and to WF in a manner of episodes. Now, that's just not fair to Sam and Gilly. 

Imagine having to allow for travelling time in the show. It would be an awful mess. Even in the books it's nearly impossible to align the timelines of different POV characters unless they're in the same location or have communicated with each other. As an example, the pink letter and Stannis' storyline are incredibly difficult to align and they happen with characters moving between the two storylines.

Like in the books, you need to view each characters story in its own timeline and only when they meet other characters/plotlines can we align their timelines. It's not that difficult.

On 6/28/2016 at 4:07 PM, SevasTra82 said:

I wish they wouldn't have done the whole Frey Pie period to be honest.  It brought up way too many questions.  

- How did Arya already make it to the Riverlands so quickly?  
- How did she acquire that serving face?  Did she steal it from B&W?  Kill an innocent girl?
- How did she break into the castle, kill the two Frey boys and Sweeney-Todd them in the kitchens without *anyone* seeing her?
- Why was Walder all alone in his mess hall, still eating?  No guards?  Servers?  Everyone just left?

I can understand the desire to put this scene in the show somewhere, but they opened up another doorway of plot holes that just didn't make much sense.  Of course, I should have come to expect this by now from the Show...do something for a "shock" value, but completely ignore how it was even possible or how it makes sense.

Its not really a plot hole if its something you didn't see and can't imagine. 

Either way, it was done for artistic merit the scene was very well done and satisfying. It would have been far more inferior if they'd spent half a season showing how Arya snuck in etc. Some things are better left to the imagination.

"Teleportation" has been going on since season 1 with Tyrion. He went from Winterfell-Castle Black-Winterfell-Crossroads Inn-Eyrie-Crossroads Inn. Some of these were back to back episodes too. Arya going from Braavos to the Twins in two episodes is really no different.

As for the Frey pies, It doesn't matter how Arya did it, just that she did it. This is one of those scenes that any sort of build up to it, would have ruined it.

9 hours ago, ShadowKitteh said:

Because this is Game of Thrones, and not Titus Andronicus. 

Wow, this whole time...

Anyway, it would've had a better revenge feeling if it had shown Walder taking a bite of the pie, or something to that effect.  Kinda makes the idea of having the pie pointless of its not eaten, or you have to assume it is.  

I think Walder did eat some pie - that's why he was trying to be sick when Arya told him what the pie was made of.

How does Arya get to wear masks though? Where did she get the masks from? Arya and the whole faceless man plot is up the shit, much worse than the pie eating in itself.

On 6/28/2016 at 10:34 PM, nara said:

I also wish they hadn't done it.  It's one thing to kill an enemy,  but it's another to make him a cannibal. How did Arya even think of that?

The story of the Rat Cook. Bran knew it, Arya very likely knew it.  Or she read Shakespeare.

7 minutes ago, mbuehner said:

The story of the Rat Cook. Bran knew it, Arya very likely knew it.  Or she read Shakespeare.

The problem is one of character development as I mentioned in another thread.  Earlier this season there's a point where she finds empathy for an enemy of hers while discussing a scene w/the Actress.  To turn around and feed children to their father as your 1st act after leaving Faceless Men is just evil (gods' law/justice aside).  It's much different than having a character who's raised from the dead w/a bit less of a soul serving the twisted justice of the gods.  This doesn't make her badass, just bad.

1 minute ago, no_one_... said:

The problem is one of character development as I mentioned in another thread.  Earlier this season there's a point where she finds empathy for an enemy of hers while discussing a scene w/the Actress.  To turn around and feed children to their father as your 1st act after leaving Faceless Men is just evil (gods' law/justice aside).  It's much different than having a character who's raised from the dead w/a bit less of a soul serving the twisted justice of the gods.  This doesn't make her badass, just bad.

Yes. But not all character development is positive. Obviously Arya is deeply messed up, but thats her arc.

3 minutes ago, mbuehner said:

Yes. But not all character development is positive. Obviously Arya is deeply messed up, but thats her arc.

The problem is I don't think the Producers made that choice.  I think they see it as showing her doing something badass.   I wouldn't mind if they intentionally had her cross a line like that and made it part of her character development.  But, I see it more as fulfilling a plot point and ignoring the impact on the character.

2 minutes ago, FacelessManOf TheShire said:

C'mon everybody.. this was purely a nod to us book readers. It made the scene more satisfying and everyone I know who watched it, loved it.

So we're to ignore just how twisted and evil it was to serve children to their father as food?  This isn't just killing for a sense of justice.

Archived