Pokemon Go

Denvek

20 hours ago, Xray the Enforcer said:

These nerfed balls are making me testy.

One 90 CP Bulbasaur defied literally everything I threw at it. From a game-narrative perspective, it makes no goddamned sense that a Trainer would get WORSE at catching low-level mon as s/he gains experience. None. A stupid fucking decision by Niantic. If they have to make stuff harder, then either spawn high-level pokemon more frequently for a high-XP trainer, make the levels harder to achieve by spacing them out more, or just let the trainers grind without the bullshit. Right now it's the worst of all worlds.

This is actually actively ruining the game for me. It's like they made it harder so people spend money on balls when they run out. I hate that. I've run out now cause a 120 CP Zubat kicked my ass. 

I might be done. This isn't fun anymore.

I agree.  I'm no longer enjoying it.  I'm at level 12 and still can't get anything above 300 CP so can't really fight in gyms.  And now not being able to even capture rats or bats is beyond ridiculous.

My foster kids had started using the game as a way to bond with their parents.  It was pretty amazing.  The kids can't even play now.  We'd have to spend most of the day hanging around various pokestops to have enough balls to do anything meaningful.  I even started a brand new game for them but something happened around level 5 that resulted in kiddo A lobbing 15 balls at a rat until it finally ran away.  

Yeah, so not fun anymore.  

Finally Pokemon GO is available in my country, which was the best news I got yesterday, only to find out that my cellphone is not compatible :crying::tantrum: Upgrading just for Pokemon is an option I have to consider carefully...

A coworker kept bragging about being able to play that I made a fuss today at work. One of my bosses promised me to download the game so I can play tomorrow (and stop acting like a kindergarten kid over a toy) :blushing::D

3 hours ago, Mexal said:

This is actually actively ruining the game for me. It's like they made it harder so people spend money on balls when they run out. I hate that. I've run out now cause a 120 CP Zubat kicked my ass. 

I might be done. This isn't fun anymore.

I hear you. One thing I've learned is to just not sweat the bullshit 'mon anymore. And unless it's something that's either going to let me evolve a really high-class pokemon, or it'll add to the pokedex, I just don't even bother trying to catch it after 2 or 3 throws. It's so refreshing to just send up the middle finger to Rattata, Pidgey, and Spearrow. The Bulbasaurs and Ekans can go fuck themselves, tho. Those bastards bust out of just about everything.

I still was able to take over four gyms today -- didn't keep them very long but at least I got some gold coins so I can buy new incubators once I hatch this batch of 5.

Oh yeah, and for random WTF, I netted an 1100+ CP Pinsir with one red pokeball. The hell?

5 hours ago, Baltan said:

Finally Pokemon GO is available in my country, which was the best news I got yesterday, only to find out that my cellphone is not compatible :crying::tantrum: Upgrading just for Pokemon is an option I have to consider carefully...

A coworker kept bragging about being able to play that I made a fuss today at work. One of my bosses promised me to download the game so I can play tomorrow (and stop acting like a kindergarten kid over a toy) :blushing::D

Are you in Spain by any chance? You don't have to tell but I saw that you are at "Ciudad de la Furia," so I thought I'd ask. I will be going to Spain later this month and am happy that it got introduced there and in Italy too. Yo soy de Puerto Rico. :)

On 3 August 2016 at 8:24 PM, Maltaran said:

I've finally discovered how to claim the Pokecoins for having a mon in a gym.

How do you do this?

I hatched myself a Poliwag yesterday, and evolved my Pidgeotto. Also caught some more basic Pokemon but I'm now out of poke balls. There are a fair few gyms around me but I'm in not able to take any of them. Pidgeot is still my strongest at 457CP. Will take my dog to the park again today since it's a good place for poke stops (there is on on every "marker")

2 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

How do you do this?

I hatched myself a Poliwag yesterday, and evolved my Pidgeotto. Also caught some more basic Pokemon but I'm now out of poke balls. There are a fair few gyms around me but I'm in not able to take any of them. Pidgeot is still my strongest at 457CP. Will take my dog to the park again today since it's a good place for poke stops (there is on on every "marker")

When you've successfully placed your mon in the gym, go to the Shop screen (Pokeball --> Shop). In the upper right, there's a shield or circle with a number inside (the number corresponds to the number of mon you've installed in a gym). Tap on it, and you'll get the 10 Pokecoins and 500 Stardust reward. Collect the reward ASAP because chances are high your 'mon won't last more than 10 minutes or so, and you can only collect if you have a mon in a gym at the time.

The easiest way to figure out if you need to restore any mon after battle, first go to the Items screen and click on Revive. If you have any 0HP mon, they will show up. Press on them and 1 Revive crystal will get them up again, and give them back half of their HP. Then to back to the Items screen and press on Potion. Any mon with a non-0 HP will show up, and you can restore HP. If you're using regular potion, you'll probably have tap on your critter a few times because it's only 20 HP a pop. SuperPotion = 50 HP. HyperPotion = 200 HP. 

A few tips (many are well known, I'm focused on the "efficiency" ones):

Pidgeys are a key level grinding resource. They are everywhere, and they are cheap to evolve. The optimization is to evolve your Pokemon in bulk. Save a Lucky Egg until you've got over 144 Pidgey Candy. Make sure you've got 13 Pidgeys in inventory. Pop your lucky Egg, and evolve your 12 Pidgeys. Then transfer your 12 Pidgeottos and evolve the 13th Pidgey. Then do any of the rest of your evolutions. You probably can evolve a few Ratatta and another handful of random mons.

At Level 10, you can jump to Level 12 and nearly 13 in one Lucky Egg session, if you can evolve 20 pokemon in one half hour session. Just don't forget that you need the Pokemon and the Poke Candy to do the evolution. If you pooch the math, or forget to leave enough Weedles in inventory to do 3 evolutions, you could leave 2000 XP on the table when the Lucky Egg is helping you.

Only incubate 2 km eggs in your infinite incubator. Save your blue incubators for 10 km eggs and occasionally 5km eggs. 2 km eggs are trash commodities, and will burn out your blue incubators, but you must grind through them to clear inventory space. Don't waste another very limited resource on them.

After level 15 or so, stardust becomes your most limited and valuable resource. You don't know what attack you might get after an evolution, so hold your Pokemon Power Ups until after you evolve. You could invest thousands of stardust into an Exeggcute, evolve it, and get a piddling 25 attack. Or you could evolve another one and get a 120 beam attack. I'm saddened that I learned this tidbit after the above anecdote. All that stardust invested in the first Exeggcutor was wasted.

Bring a mix, and leave a mix. When you attack a gym, it's good to have a mix of effective types. Living near the shore, our local fauna are dominated by water types, and at one point my best Mons were water and grass types. I needed the advantage of that electric Eevee pretty bad, even though the water Eevee is objectively better. And when you "staff" you gym after taking it, try to leave a mix of types (according to my sons).

Most players do not "set their lineup" to match their opponents when taking a gym, say sending in a fire type first to get an advantage over the gym's grass type in its first slot. Or worse, attackers will change out pokemon mid battle, and will inevitably take a few more hits during that change. Every little bit helps. You gym will still get taken, but the attackers will have to be smart, or have to use way too many potions and revives. I've held gyms for a day and a half here and there, my sons held the local library for almost a week.

One more thing... Incubators are the only thing worthy of spending your Poke-coins on.

• Don't waste poke-coins on anything that a poke-stop will drop. (balls, potions, revives)
  • You should never get close to your storage limit for Pokemon, unless you are keeping way too many duplicates.
  • If your bag is full, get rid of your regular potions, and only keep 40 revives and 40 razz-berries.
  • There seem to be plenty of lures out in the world, I still have a handful from a level up.

Incense would be the next most worthy thing to spend coins on, to ramp up your capture rate. Just remember to keep moving, as the spawn rate is close to one per minute on incense if you are walking, but one per five minutes if you are stationary.

But incubators are really the only thing you should spend poke-coins on. It's almost the only option to get rare pokemon that do not usually spawn in your area. Just remember never to use blue incubators on 2 km eggs, and you'll be pleasantly surprised.

6 hours ago, Xray the Enforcer said:

When you've successfully placed your mon in the gym, go to the Shop screen (Pokeball --> Shop). In the upper right, there's a shield or circle with a number inside (the number corresponds to the number of mon you've installed in a gym). Tap on it, and you'll get the 10 Pokecoins and 500 Stardust reward. Collect the reward ASAP because chances are high your 'mon won't last more than 10 minutes or so, and you can only collect if you have a mon in a gym at the time.

The easiest way to figure out if you need to restore any mon after battle, first go to the Items screen and click on Revive. If you have any 0HP mon, they will show up. Press on them and 1 Revive crystal will get them up again, and give them back half of their HP. Then to back to the Items screen and press on Potion. Any mon with a non-0 HP will show up, and you can restore HP. If you're using regular potion, you'll probably have tap on your critter a few times because it's only 20 HP a pop. SuperPotion = 50 HP. HyperPotion = 200 HP. 

Thanks, I left a Pokemon in a gym the other day (fsecond day after I downloaded actually, when I wasn't sure exactly what I was doing) and didn't even realise it was possible to claim coins by doing so. The Pokemon is back with me now, since it was only weak, but good to know I can claim coins from that. 

Today I hatched two eggs, and got a horsea and vulpix. Also managed to catch Clefairy and geodude, and evolve my eevee. Ended up with a Jolteon, not especially strong but I've not looked to see how much I can power it up yet.

Speaking of eevee, there is apparently a means of determining its' evolution by changing eevee's name before you evolve it. Can't recall the specific names right now and not sure if it actually works or not

2 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Speaking of eevee, there is apparently a means of determining its' evolution by changing eevee's name before you evolve it. Can't recall the specific names right now and not sure if it actually works or not

Rainer, Pyro, and Sparky.

7 hours ago, SerPaladin said:

A few tips (many are well known, I'm focused on the "efficiency" ones):

Pidgeys are a key level grinding resource. They are everywhere, and they are cheap to evolve. The optimization is to evolve your Pokemon in bulk. Save a Lucky Egg until you've got over 144 Pidgey Candy. Make sure you've got 13 Pidgeys in inventory. Pop your lucky Egg, and evolve your 12 Pidgeys. Then transfer your 12 Pidgeottos and evolve the 13th Pidgey. Then do any of the rest of your evolutions. You probably can evolve a few Ratatta and another handful of random mons.

At Level 10, you can jump to Level 12 and nearly 13 in one Lucky Egg session, if you can evolve 20 pokemon in one half hour session. Just don't forget that you need the Pokemon and the Poke Candy to do the evolution. If you pooch the math, or forget to leave enough Weedles in inventory to do 3 evolutions, you could leave 2000 XP on the table when the Lucky Egg is helping you.

Only incubate 2 km eggs in your infinite incubator. Save your blue incubators for 10 km eggs and occasionally 5km eggs. 2 km eggs are trash commodities, and will burn out your blue incubators, but you must grind through them to clear inventory space. Don't waste another very limited resource on them.

After level 15 or so, stardust becomes your most limited and valuable resource. You don't know what attack you might get after an evolution, so hold your Pokemon Power Ups until after you evolve. You could invest thousands of stardust into an Exeggcute, evolve it, and get a piddling 25 attack. Or you could evolve another one and get a 120 beam attack. I'm saddened that I learned this tidbit after the above anecdote. All that stardust invested in the first Exeggcutor was wasted.

Bring a mix, and leave a mix. When you attack a gym, it's good to have a mix of effective types. Living near the shore, our local fauna are dominated by water types, and at one point my best Mons were water and grass types. I needed the advantage of that electric Eevee pretty bad, even though the water Eevee is objectively better. And when you "staff" you gym after taking it, try to leave a mix of types (according to my sons).

Most players do not "set their lineup" to match their opponents when taking a gym, say sending in a fire type first to get an advantage over the gym's grass type in its first slot. Or worse, attackers will change out pokemon mid battle, and will inevitably take a few more hits during that change. Every little bit helps. You gym will still get taken, but the attackers will have to be smart, or have to use way too many potions and revives. I've held gyms for a day and a half here and there, my sons held the local library for almost a week.

All good advice, and all things I'm doing as well except the pre-evo power-up. I've yet to be burned by that, but it's good to keep in mind. Eggs are good because they give you a lot of stardust per hatch, and once you're up into the 20s XP that really is the most scarce resource (besides from rare-for-your-area pokemon types). I just did a mega-evolution session that nabbed me 5 new 'mon in the Pokedex and pushed me well into the next XP level. I'd built up to that over a week, and now I'm gathering stardust to level up the 8 new 1000+ CP Pokemon I have.

Today I catched my first Rattata from a borrowed cellphone XD

Apparently my workplace is near a pokestop, because even in the backoffice Pokemon keep appearing (they aren't supposed to appear inside private buildings right?)

52 minutes ago, Baltan said:

Today I catched my first Rattata from a borrowed cellphone XD

Apparently my workplace is near a pokestop, because even in the backoffice Pokemon keep appearing (they aren't supposed to appear inside private buildings right?)

They definitely appear inside private buildings. I had a Growlithe show up in my living room a couple of weeks ago -- no lure or incense. (my apartment building is a Pokestop, which probably affects things). 

1 hour ago, Xray the Enforcer said:

They definitely appear inside private buildings. I had a Growlithe show up in my living room a couple of weeks ago -- no lure or incense. (my apartment building is a Pokestop, which probably affects things). 

A buddy of mine at work has caught numerous Pokeman at my work, which is a large medical building. 

* A Wild Zar appears*

Bai said this thread was the bomb, so I'm here visiting. Kinda funny that the chat thing that pops up in the botto right looks like a Pokéball? MAYBE ONE OF YOU IS TRYING TO CATCH US HUH

Hi guys...

So, can any of you explain why team instinct is not that popular?

59 minutes ago, Leap said:

If you have to ask, you're definitely team Instinct :P

AM NOT...  yet. :uhoh: 

Just curious because the amount of memes against it is kind of intriguing.

What's the deal with each team?

It's nothing but random tribalism, for the most part. Most people aren't really down with the color yellow. I went Mystic because I just liked the team description better, I decided to rebel against the board's hatred of mysticism, and I like yelling MYSTIC at my friends. :lol: One way you could pick is by the mascot: Zapdos (Yellow), Moltres (Red), or Articuno (Blue). (Read up on the three if curious).

There's some anecdotal evidence that certain teams will get different amounts of stardust out of hatching eggs. But that's not been confirmed AFAICT. 

Archived