aSoIaF characters and their tWoIaF and prequels counterpart.

Jon's Queen Consort

2 minutes ago, King Endymion Targaryen said:

Cersei - Alicent Hightower & Rhaenyra Targaryen

Why Rhaenyra? She became paranoid when everyone betrayed her and her children died. Cersei was like that from the beginning.

1 minute ago, Drekinn said:

Naerys - Cersei

Naerys was said to be pious, gentle and kind. Cersei is the completely opposite.

5 minutes ago, Drekinn said:

Aemon the Dragonknight - Jaime

When Jaime became the perfect Knight? When he tried to kill a child or when he was ready to kill another.

8 minutes ago, Jon's Queen Consort said:

Why Rhaenyra? She became paranoid when everyone betrayed her and her children died. Cersei was like that from the beginning.

Rhaenyra's paranoia started when Aegon II stole her throne. The betrayals and deaths made it  worse. Same for Cersei. Joffrey's murder was the start.The events of FFC and DWD made it worse. They have more in common than that.

Aegon the Unworthy = Robert. I don't think Robert is as bad Aegon but if I had to choose a comparison. I can't compare Robert to Breakspear. I just don't see it at all. 

Robb = The Young Dragon. Wish I could say this was my own thought, but I got it from History of Westeros and once they said something it was incredibly obvious. Young king riding south, never losing a battle, but still ends up losing the war.

Jaime = Criston Cole. Not sure he's going to go as far. But KG who arguably got too wrapped up in politics and his feelings for a woman (positive or negative) dictate his decisions

Dany = Aegon the Conqueror. Obviously not exactly the same, but three dragons and wanting to conquer Westeros and probably have two husbands. It's just too much to ignore even if you don't like Dany

Arya = Nymeria. The constant wandering while looking for "home." Obviously she doesn't have the followers but  it's similar. I'm not trying to insult the OP, but it seems your comparison of Val to Nymeria has to do with your love of Val because I'm not seeing the comparison and I'm trying to be open-minded about it. Would like to hear your explanation!  

Dunk = Brienne. The whole naive genuinely good knight who isn't really knight. Plus the size. I can't give Pod=Egg. The only thing they really have in common is that their squires

Tywin = Bloodraven (as Hand). Never king, but pretty much ran Westeros and did some good things even though he has questionable morality. Also considered Viserys for the Tywin comparison.

I love the parallel threads. Can't think of any more right now though.

8 minutes ago, Maxxine said:

Arya = Nymeria. The constant wandering while looking for "home." Obviously she doesn't have the followers but  it's similar. I'm not trying to insult the OP, but it seems your comparison of Val to Nymeria has to do with your love of Val because I'm not seeing the comparison and I'm trying to be open-minded about it. Would like to hear your explanation!  

I think that the best thread  about this is TFL's thread 

Also to quote myself; 

On 31/7/2016 at 0:19 AM, Jon's Queen Consort said:

Some other Val is ASOIAF’s Nymeria parallels, I am not sure if that is the word, I found;

Val like Nymeria and her people were driven away from their land and their homes by an extremity which is an enemy of the humanity to a land who is ravaged by a war about who will become the new King, a war that seems to be mostly between the two archenemies (Yronwoods-Martells &Boltons-Starks). Also it should be noted that Nymeria was named Warrior Queen but she wasn’t an actual warrior and she came from a culture known about its warrior women. A nice point is about how similar are the Dornishmen and the Northmen.

11 minutes ago, King Endymion Targaryen said:

Rhaenyra's paranoia started when Aegon II stole her throne. The betrayals and deaths made it  worse. Same for Cersei. Joffrey's murder was the start.The events of FFC and DWD made it worse. They have more in common than that.

Not true. There is no sign that Rhaenyra was paranoid before the death of her children. Cersei on the other hand was like that since she was a child. She killed her friend when she was 10 and abused her brother when she was 7.

10 minutes ago, Jon's Queen Consort said:

I think that the best thread  about this is TFL's thread 

Okay. I see your point. My bad for assuming it just had to do with your bias. However, you haven't converted me. It's still too speculative to me at this point. 

20 minutes ago, Maxxine said:

Okay. I see your point. My bad for assuming it just had to do with your bias. However, you haven't converted me. It's still too speculative to me at this point. 

I just want to say thank you for at least being open minded about it. 

I don't see Val - Nymeria parallels too. She did not assume any leadership role. And it was not her who lead her people south of the wall. That role belongs to Mance and Stannis and Jon. Val was just the sister to Mance's queen who came with them and was called the "wildling princess". She has nothing to do with leading people south of the wall and she is one of those people now south of the wall because of others decisions. I don't see any similarities between them except both are women. And people supporting this don't  wonder why we scratch our heads because we simply can't see it. 

17 minutes ago, khal drogon said:

I don't see Val - Nymeria parallels too. She did not assume any leadership role. And it was not her who lead her people south of the wall. That role belongs to Mance and Stannis and Jon. Val was just the sister to Mance's queen who came with them and was called the "wildling princess". She has nothing to do with leading people south of the wall and she is one of those people now south of the wall because of others decisions. I don't see any similarities between them except both are women. And people supporting this don't  wonder why we scratch our heads because we simply can't see it. 

Welllll, it was Val that brought Tormund and those wildlings to the wall because of Jon. 

And Nymeria did not give herself the title queen, but preferred princess so she could assimilate herself a little better in her new land. 

And You are correct about they are both women because that has something to do with it as well ;)

There are quite a few, strong parrallels that are worth a look if you have a minute. If not, that's ok too. 

4 minutes ago, The Fattest Leech said:

Welllll, it was Val that brought Tormund and those wildlings to the wall because of Jon. 

And Nymeria did not give herself the title queen, but preferred princess so she could assimilate herself a little better in her new land. 

And You are correct about they are both women because that has something to do with it as well ;)

There are quite a few, strong parrallels that are worth a look if you have a minute. If not, that's ok too. 

Maybe I would agree if the parallels are strong enough to strike on my simple mind. 

2 hours ago, Drekinn said:

The romance triangle is the same but with completely opposite personalities. Another instance of history repeating itself.

That by definition means that they are not parallels.

1 hour ago, Maxxine said:

Sure we don't have to agree the point is to be open minded and willing to hear each other.

10 hours ago, Jon's Queen Consort said:

@The Fattest Leech Why do you bother talking with hidebound people? It's not like you will have a nice conversation which could be interesting and beneficial, it will be just boring.  Seriously, they have proved that they don't want to understand so don't feed them. 

This is rich coming from you. :lol:

23 hours ago, Nictarion said:

Val is not a good comparison for Nymeria. She is a Wildling woman, which means she's a warrior. Nymeria was not. 

GRRM compares Nymeria to Daenerys. 

http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/SSM/Entry/Answers_to_Old_Questions/

It's still a good comparison, two powerful woman, earning the right to rule in their own right. What's more I believe it's highly likely that Dany will take her 1,000 ship and land in Dorne with her people. 

They have a lot in common, the last scions, of a once great people, they both had perilouss journey taking their people away from sure death, Dany crossing the Red Waste running from the other khalasar and Nymeria setting sail, away from the Valyrians. After going from place to place (Nymeria's voyage and Dany's travels through Slaver's Bay), they both finally decide that they need to go to Westeros. 

Like Nymeria Dany will also have three husbands and they have both survived multiple assassinations. They also share other similarities, but that probably deserves it's own thread. 

Alliser Thorne might be a counterpart to Fireball.  Both of them of them hold the position of master-at-arms and have grievances against someone who slighted them and blocked their career advancement (Jon Snow and Daeron II), which led to them plotting against Jon and Daeron II.  That Jon and Daeron II share a lot in common adds to the Thorne/Fireball parallel.       

About the Nymeria arguments here: Dany has Nymeria parallels, Arya has Nymeria parallels and Val has Nymeria parallels. I don't get why some people think there must be only one "true" Nymeria 2.0, or any historical ASOIAF figure 2.0. All three can have similar story elements to Nymeria. 

On a side note: for Val as a character, I think her real importance in the story is for Jon's ressurection, along with Melisandre. Val is priestess/witch/healer associated with the old gods and ice. Melisandre is a priestess/witch of R'hollor and fire. I believe that's why Grrm have the two of them present in Jon's story. Ghost seems to have this unique affection and connection with both of them as well. What Val's and Melisandre's roles will be after that I don't know, but I find it hard to believe they're going to be important end game players like the other POV characters.

Archived