Are there any "unscarred" main male characters left?

[Deleted]

1 hour ago, Lord of Raventree Hall said:

Brienne...probably the worse mutilated character in the whole book. Is it? Seems that without counting Bran, people who fight get hurt. Also, Sansa may not be physically scarred (although she might be as she was beaten often) but not including her in a list of fucked up people seems wrong. She was beaten regularly for no reason...and Catelyn went through some of the worst trauma jn the books and is now dead...since the OP included death for male characters...Dany's womb is internal but what happened with Mirri Maz Dur and her inability to reproduce children seems.....scarring to me. GRRM just fucked up all the characters...Cersei had to walk naked though a city and Robert raped her throughout their marriage. Arya is an assassin. Perhaps Asha isnt, but neither was Quentyn before his death and I do not think Barristan or Areo Hotah are either. I don't know, I call bullshit. Gender is not makint a difference in the scarring of characters.

I agree with everything you have said^^

Since Barristan and Areo have been fighting all their lives, they must have some scars. In Barry's case, it would be strange to think he doesn't, since he would've died at the Trident, had Robert not sent his maester to Barry first. The scars don't seem to be as severe or visible as, for example, Tyrion's are, but they are definitely there.  In the end, I'd say all POV's are scarred in some way. Because, whether it's physical or emtional: If you fight, you get hurt, and if you get hurt, that leaves a scar.

4 hours ago, Ser Scott Malkinson said:

Since Barristan and Areo have been fighting all their lives, they must have some scars. In Barry's case, it would be strange to think he doesn't, since he would've died at the Trident, had Robert not sent his maester to Barry first. The scars don't seem to be as severe or visible as, for example, Tyrion's are, but they are definitely there.  In the end, I'd say all POV's are scarred in some way. Because, whether it's physical or emtional: If you fight, you get hurt, and if you get hurt, that leaves a scar.

Asha has been fighting all her life too. Arya went through some ordeals. My point is their is no difference between female and male characters having physical scars or injuries.

6 hours ago, Lord of Raventree Hall said:

Asha has been fighting all her life too. Arya went through some ordeals. My point is their is no difference between female and male characters having physical scars or injuries.

I agree that there is no difference. I thought I made that clear at the end of my post, but apparently not. Asha and Arya probably have some physical scars as well, but since they are a lot younger than Barristan and Areo (I think, do we know how old he is?), the chance they don't is somewhat bigger. My comment was because you specifically mentioned Barry as possibly not having scars and I thought that couldn't be possible considering the severe injury he caught at the Trident.

3 hours ago, Ser Scott Malkinson said:

I agree that there is no difference. I thought I made that clear at the end of my post, but apparently not. Asha and Arya probably have some physical scars as well, but since they are a lot younger than Barristan and Areo (I think, do we know how old he is?), the chance they don't is somewhat bigger. My comment was because you specifically mentioned Barry as possibly not having scars and I thought that couldn't be possible considering the severe injury he caught at the Trident.

We don't know exactly how old Areo Hotah is, but he's certainly about 20 years older than Asha, who is in her mid 20s. Areo is at least in his early to mid 40s, since he came to Dorne as Mellario's servant/bodyguard when she married Doran. That was at least 25 years ago, since Arianne is 24. Areo completed his training when he was 16 and went to serve Mellario's family, but we don't know how long he was serving them  before Mellario married Doran.

On 08.10.2016 at 2:57 PM, Land's End said:

Another imbalance is the amount of male-acting/ tom-boyish female POVs (Arya, Asha, Brienne) vs. feminine-acting male POVs (zero).

The female characters you mentioned are very feminine, you shouldn't confuse femininity with obedience. 

On 8 oktober 2016 at 1:37 PM, Aegonzo The Great said:

When you stop and think about it, almost every single main character in the series has been physically damaged in some way (besides just being killed). Who is left that hasn't been injured/scarred/maimed in some way?

Bran: Crippled

Theon: Castrated/mutilated

Jon: Stabbed

Jaime: Right hand cut off

Stannis: Being Too Awesome

Tyrion: Scar on face/nose cut off

Loras: Boiling Oil Dumped On Him

Ned/Robb/Tywin/Oberynetc etc etc : Dead

It seems it's rarer for a main character to be whole than it is for them to be maimed.

Sweetrobin. Walder Frey. Tommen. Bronn  (maybe he's scarred though, can't recall). 

(almost said Varys :D)

56 minutes ago, Sigella said:

Sweetrobin. Walder Frey. Tommen. Bronn  (maybe he's scarred though, can't recall). 

(almost said Varys :D)

Also Rickon, LF, Ramsay, Roose.

Having said that, imo GRRM really is more likely to visibly wound his major male characters than females. Yes there are exceptions and yes everyone suffers, but I'm thinking specifically of visible, physical scarring, as in losing fingers, a nose, a hand, etc.  Also, I don't consider being killed or executed "scarring"; that's death.

Arya is fighting all the time, and she must get some bruises and scars, but mostly she's fine; Sandor's the one who starts off burnt and ends limping around as the Gravedigger. Asha fights her entire life without incurring a noticeable scar, while Theon is flayed and castrated. Cersei is unharmed, her punishment psychological rather than physical (walk of shame) while Jaime loses a hand and Tyrion a nose. Bran falls off the window and is crippled, while Sansa is bruised and beaten, but carries no overt signs of torture. Loras is disfigured after getting boiling oil poured on him, while Margaery is in prison, but physically untouched. 

Exceptions to this: Myrcella loses a part of her face, but she is a minor character. Shireen is scarred, but like Myrcella, she is (so far) a minor character. Brienne is a major female character who is horribly wounded during the course of the novels. iidk if LSH is Cat, or counts as "alive." If she is Cat, and if Cat's still alive, then Cat's another woman who is living with horrific scarring.

Male main characters typically fight in battle or take part in other dangerous activities, so they will be inevitably injured sooner or later.

However, female characters take risks, too, and they get their own injuries. Brienne as a fighter is as "scarred" as any man. Catelyn's hand gets wounded rather badly. Arya probably has her scars, even though she is not disfigured, which is not so surprising: Needle is not her single weapon - she uses a lot of cunning, too, even magic, and since she is a child, she isn't always noticed. But I'm sure she has taken plenty of bruises at least, and for a while, she was blind. She also had to give up her face, even if only temporarily, due to magic. Myrcella gets gravely injured, and her injuries are much worse than any injury suffered by either of her brothers. Cersei gets beaten by Robert, although when she is truly hurt, it is not through physical scars - but she is hurt nevertheless. Sansa is  also beaten but she is mainly tortured psychologically, which is torture just as well. Besides, her wolf is killed, which is, I think, an invisible but nevertheless  serious injury (part of the self is killed). Dany gets plenty of bruises and injuries at the beginning of her marriage to Drogo, and Viserys has probably beaten her a few times. Finally, she has a terrible miscarriage that - allegedly - leaves her infertile. There are also supporting female characters who get plenty of scars - Jeyne Poole, Lady Hornwood, Tysha, Lollys, Shireen, Osha, Pia. Some female characters, like Cat and Ygritte, die violent deaths. 

Spoiler

By the way, has anyone else noticed that in this book only female characters die while giving birth to a child???

6 hours ago, kimim said:

Also Rickon, LF, Ramsay, Roose.

LF has a huge scar from his fight with Brandon.

It's interesting that you mention Roose though, since he is mentioned as oddly having no scars at all despite having been in battle quite often. Sure, he could hang back in the army he lead during tWot5K (and likely he did), but during Robert's Rebellion I don't think he could... And shouldn't the leeches he uses so often have left scars? I honestly have no idea.

1 hour ago, Julia H. said:

Male main characters typically fight in battle or take part in other dangerous activities, so they will be inevitably injured sooner or later.

However, female characters take risks, too, and they get their own injuries. Brienne as a fighter is as "scarred" as any man. Catelyn's hand gets wounded rather badly. Arya probably has her scars, even though she is not disfigured, which is not so surprising: Needle is not her single weapon - she uses a lot of cunning, too, even magic, and since she is a child, she isn't always noticed. But I'm sure she has taken plenty of bruises at least, and for a while, she was blind. She also had to give up her face, even if only temporarily, due to magic. Myrcella gets gravely injured, and her injuries are much worse than any injury suffered by either of her brothers. Cersei gets beaten by Robert, although when she is truly hurt, it is not through physical scars - but she is hurt nevertheless. Sansa is  also beaten but she is mainly tortured psychologically, which is torture just as well. Besides, her wolf is killed, which is, I think, an invisible but nevertheless  serious injury (part of the self is killed). Dany gets plenty of bruises and injuries at the beginning of her marriage to Drogo, and Viserys has probably beaten her a few times. Finally, she has a terrible miscarriage that - allegedly - leaves her infertile. There are also supporting female characters who get plenty of scars - Jeyne Poole, Lady Hornwood, Tysha, Lollys, Shireen, Osha, Pia. Some female characters, like Cat and Ygritte, die violent deaths. 

Reveal hidden contents

By the way, has anyone else noticed that in this book only female characters die while giving birth to a child???

Some spoiler you got there...

I had forgotten about Cat's hands, great example for how the women in this story get mutilated as well... if they get in such a situation, which the male POV's do more often.

• 2 weeks later...

The thing that gets me most is when the books open, they are coming right on the heels of a long a bloody war/rebellion, but very few (none?) of the characters are mentioned as being scarred/mutilated as a result of that.

But over the course of ASOIAF, with only intermit battls/skirmishes, almost every single male character gets messed up in some way.

I guess the quality of armor got worse after Robert's Rebellion or something.

Archived