Stannis and Danerys <3

Coolbeard the Exile

21 hours ago, BeastMaster64 said:

I dont get what you are asking of Danys generals. 

Because we know that Stannis has experience as a general, and is regarded as one of, if not the, best generals in Westeros during the books. He's planned naval, land, and amphibious operations, and has acquitted hinself quite well in all of them (yes, blackwater did not succeed).

Dany could use someone like that planning with her. To me, it seems that everyone else she has is good at tactics, not strategy.

3 hours ago, DominusNovus said:

Because we know that Stannis has experience as a general, and is regarded as one of, if not the, best generals in Westeros during the books. He's planned naval, land, and amphibious operations, and has acquitted hinself quite well in all of them (yes, blackwater did not succeed).

Dany could use someone like that planning with her. To me, it seems that everyone else she has is good at tactics, not strategy.

Selmy, Mormont and Greyworm are pretty good at command.

On 1/3/2017 at 9:44 PM, BeastMaster64 said:

I dont think anybody looked into Robert's claim he just destroyed house Targaryen and sat down on their chair. I dont think anyone questioned him sitting on it.

But if Eddard had, they would have. Or Jon Arryn. Because they have no claim. And you forgot to respond to Robert's fear of a teenaged girl because of her superior claim.

17 hours ago, DominusNovus said:

why we need stannis for that..why can't dany take care of that herself ...everyone must be starting at something right 

16 hours ago, BeastMaster64 said:

Selmy, Mormont and Greyworm are pretty good at command.

We never have any indication that any of them have any experience leading an entire campaign. They're all competant battlefield commanders, but thats not the same. You want officers for each level of command. If Dany goes and promotes her battlefield commanders, then she has to find someone to take their place.

2 hours ago, Drogonthedread said:

why we need stannis for that..why can't dany take care of that herself ...everyone must be starting at something right 

Hardly the best course of action, but I won't be surprised if thats what happens. Or if Jon has enough experience to fulfill that role when the time comes.

At the moment, the only living characters, that I can think of, who have experience leading entire armiesp are Stannis Baratheon and Randall Tarly.

4 hours ago, Lord of Raventree Hall said:

But if Eddard had, they would have. Or Jon Arryn. Because they have no claim. And you forgot to respond to Robert's fear of a teenaged girl because of her superior claim.

I don't think he was afraid of Danerys because of her claim he was scared of her because they might rally supporters and try to retake the Iron Throne.

On 1/3/2017 at 8:43 PM, BeastMaster64 said:

Well Stannis MUST retake Dragonstone to get the dragonglass going again and it makes sense for Dragonstone to be the first place Dany invades. What do you think?

It makes sense that Dany would invade there, but Stannis is going to be preoccupied. He can't send a fleet and thousands of men to retake it, and there's no way he spends time arranging marriage alliances with his enemies while trying to hold back the Others. The obsidian would be handy, but Skagos has large amounts of obsidian, and the Iron Bank money would attract sellers. 

14 minutes ago, DominusNovus said:

We never have any indication that any of them have any experience leading an entire campaign. They're all competant battlefield commanders, but thats not the same. You want officers for each level of command. If Dany goes and promotes her battlefield commanders, then she has to find someone to take their place.

Well Daario definatly has he commands an entire company so he has the experience you are talking about.

All of the other guys definatly would have no problem leading an army but i guess none of them has been the supreme commander in any battle.

1 minute ago, The Drunkard said:

It makes sense that Dany would invade there, but Stannis is going to be preoccupied. He can't send a fleet and thousands of men to retake it, and there's no way he spends time arranging marriage alliances with his enemies while trying to hold back the Others. The obsidian would be handy, but Skagos has large amounts of obsidian, and the Iron Bank money would attract sellers. 

Stannis will probably try to hurry and retake the Iron Throne before he goes to fight the Others.

33 minutes ago, BeastMaster64 said:

Stannis will probably try to hurry and retake the Iron Throne before he goes to fight the Others.

He decided against doing that when he came North. The "cart before the horse" speech is him admitting that he got it wrong, and that he should be focusing on his duty (i.e. stopping the Others) before claiming his rights (i.e. the throne). Besides, conquering the entire south isn't something he can do in a hurry, it would take years. 

1 hour ago, DominusNovus said:

Hardly the best course of action, but I won't be surprised if thats what happens. Or if Jon has enough experience to fulfill that role when the time comes.

At the moment, the only living characters, that I can think of, who have experience leading entire armiesp are Stannis Baratheon and Randall Tarly.

I would say it's already been in that direction and right now dany is more experienced in this than Jon..

Sure stannis and randyl are good but they are from the past generation.. And the new generation people like Robb and dany showed they can become good and best in this .. 

1 hour ago, BeastMaster64 said:

Well Daario definatly has he commands an entire company so he has the experience you are talking about.

All of the other guys definatly would have no problem leading an army but i guess none of them has been the supreme commander in any battle.

Daario commands a company. Not an army. We have no evidence that he has any experience commanding an army on campaign, and dealing with the logistical and strategic considerations inherent in such an undertaking.

Again, the skills and experience in leading men in battle as a tactical commander, under a higher level commander, are different than those needed to be that higher level commander. I'm not saying Selmy or Grey Wind or Daario couldn't do it. I'm just saying that they haven't been shown to do it yet, and would need to learn on the job. Admittedly, dragons might make this moot.

On the other hand, every possible suitor for Dany in these discussions either is such a commander or is closely aligned with one or more. Stannis, Jon, and fAegon all bring higher level military experience to the table in some fashion.

1 hour ago, BeastMaster64 said:

I don't think he was afraid of Danerys because of her claim he was scared of her because they might rally supporters and try to retake the Iron Throne.

But the reason she would be able to rally supporters to try and retake the Throne is because of her claim. She has a higher claim over the Throne then any of the Baratheon brothers/children, making it easier for her to rally supporters.
If she has no claim whatsoever, she would not be able to rally support, similar to Eddard Stark or Jon Arryn.

58 minutes ago, Ser Walter of AShwood said:

But the reason she would be able to rally supporters to try and retake the Throne is because of her claim. She has a higher claim over the Throne then any of the Baratheon brothers/children, making it easier for her to rally supporters.
If she has no claim whatsoever, she would not be able to rally support, similar to Eddard Stark or Jon Arryn.

I don't know dude....

1 hour ago, The Drunkard said:

He decided against doing that when he came North. The "cart before the horse" speech is him admitting that he got it wrong, and that he should be focusing on his duty (i.e. stopping the Others) before claiming his rights (i.e. the throne). Besides, conquering the entire south isn't something he can do in a hurry, it would take years. 

Yes but he has the Iron Bank behind him and i imagine they are putting some presure on him to take the Iron Throne so he can pay them back. I dont imagine the Iron Bank would support him if he intends to take his time in the North preparing for however long it will take before the Others come. Also he could take King's Landing very swiftly if he plays his cards right and unify Westeros.

2 hours ago, BeastMaster64 said:

I don't know dude....

It is in the book. Re-read the conversation between Robert and Ned when they first mention Dany marrying Drogo. Robert was worried that Viserys would gather support once he reached Westeros because there are those in the seven kingdoms who still call him a  usurper" and would rally to restore the Targaryen monarchy.

14 hours ago, BeastMaster64 said:

Do you know why they would rally behind her to take the throne? Her claim.

Archived