Stannis and Danerys <3

Coolbeard the Exile

Assuming that Stannis defeats the Bolton's, Shireen gets burned and Selyse dies, and Hizdahr dies Stannis will have to marry someone and get an heir. I believe that it is very well possible that he will marry Danerys. 

Stannis will have a powerful fleet, the North united under him and the possibly 20,000 mercenaries. Danerys currently has no fleet with which to transport her army over to Westeros and even if she was to get a fleet she wouldnt want to fight Stannis on the water. Stannis is a superb general and admiral and he would probably have upwards to 100 war galleys by the time Danerys moves to Westeros. 

As we know warships seems to be the most effective way of fighting dragons as seen in the battle of the Gullet where 90 ships defeated 2 dragons ontop of the Blacks fleet. In looking at Danerys troops you can also see that they are not well suited for naval battles. Her Unsullied are powerful yes but their power comes from their dicipline and formation and they cant fight like that in a sea battle. The Unsullied also dont seem to have archers.  Her Dothraki are terrified of water, are very lightly armoured and they fight as cavalry all the time but they cant do that in a naval battle. She only really has a few thousand mercenaries that would be effective fighters on a sea battle. 

Stannis on the other hand looks very strong and prepared for a naval battle against Danerys. He specifically requested for Justin Massey to seek archers on his recruitment mission and those would be very usefull in battle especially against dragons. He also has around 100 war galleys and it took 90 warships for the greens to defeat 2 dragons + the Blacks navy. Stannis will have surely have read up one or two things on that and in general how to fight dragons and ontop of that he is the best and most experienced military commander in all of Westeros.

It is possible that Danerys would win a sea battle against Stannis but surely it would cripple her forces utterly.

This is why i see Stannis marrying Danerys.

Stannis knows about the Others and the smart man he is would surely recognize that dragons would be quite effective against them. He also needs a Queen and an heir quickly.

Danerys needs a fleet to get over to Westeros and whilst she probably can get one of her own it would help if she got Stannis ships. She would probably know about how unwise it would be to fight Stannis on the water and in general that Stannis is in a strong position to resist her conquest. 

Danerys wouldnt like the idea of marrying Stannis but i believe she will have matured enough to know that he would be the optimal dude to marry.

It would do Stannis well if he got a hot babe with some life in her also.

What do you guys think of this and is it possible that they would marry?

I find it unlikely at best that she would marry the brother of the man that killed her brother and usurped the crown. With that said, she already has the largest fleet in the world bending oars her way. Can't say I look at dragons, dothraki, and iron born and think "heroes", but that's where our story currently is. 

I'm not sure it's crucial to danys story to get married. She's done it twice, and both instances left her hungry and vulnerable in the dothraki sea. Plus, her and Stannis are both currently married. Need a lot to happen in book to make this match work.

Dany will have needed a fleet long before she would ever meet Stannis. Personally, I think she should take her army overland to the narrow sea, but at least some of her force will have to be seaborne, and the Ironborn can't take that many folks. She will most likely take much of the Volantine fleet intact and use that to move her war machine.

We also have no idea what will happen with Justin Massey. If Massey's ship unceremoniously crashes or something, Stannis is out an army. 

So what I'm saying is things have to go really well for Stannis and pretty badly for Dany for this to pan out.

Stannis really doesn't have much to offer Dany, most of Westeros doesn't recognize or love him and as of now all she is to him is, at best, the usurpers heir. 

23 minutes ago, KingMance said:

I find it unlikely at best that she would marry the brother of the man that killed her brother and usurped the crown.

I agree. Thanks to Viserys she really hates the Baratheons. Plus, if they married wouldn't it cancel each other's claims? Stannis' claim is based on being the brother of Robert who took the throne in a war against Dany's father. Not sure how that would work, especially with two people as stubborn as these.

4 minutes ago, theblackdragonI said:

I agree. Thanks to Viserys she really hates the Baratheons. Plus, if they married wouldn't it cancel each other's claims? Stannis' claim is based on being the brother of Robert who took the throne in a war against Dany's father. Not sure how that would work, especially with two people as stubborn as these.

Yes but looking at their position and the fact that they are both smart it makes sense and i believe that Danerys has matured enough to marry him.

So serious question that I'm not sure of the answer to but would affect the issue in the OP: At this point does Stannis actually have a fleet that would be worth much to Dany? Didn't the majority of his ships gets destroyed at the Blackwater then Salahdor Saan abandoned him? Assuming Dany gets the Iron Born and the Volantene ships she would have better fleet than Stannis right?

I think their fights would be hilarious.

D: Your brother was a drunken brute who stole my family's throne!

S: Your father was a crazy pyro who burned people for entertainment!

D: My brother was a hero and everybody loved him!

S: Your other brother was a loon, and everybody hated him!

D: Yeah well...I have Aegon the Conqueror's blood!

S: So do I! My grandmother was a Targaryen!

D: I have a dragon!

S: So do I!

D: Well...your dragon calls me mommy!

1 hour ago, Lady Blizzardborn said:

D: My brother was a hero and everybody loved him!

Laughed particulary at this part...

Stannis can always say he has god's blood also... but that won't be of help against drogon, unless Elenei storms from the sky and delivers the most over the top writing cluster%$# in the series

3 hours ago, Maxxine said:

So serious question that I'm not sure of the answer to but would affect the issue in the OP: At this point does Stannis actually have a fleet that would be worth much to Dany? Didn't the majority of his ships gets destroyed at the Blackwater then Salahdor Saan abandoned him? Assuming Dany gets the Iron Born and the Volantene ships she would have better fleet than Stannis right?

He has the Manderly fleet + probably other mercenary ships payed for by the Iron Bank

1 hour ago, Laughing Storm Reborn said:

Laughed particulary at this part...

Stannis can always say he has god's blood also... but that won't be of help against drogon, unless Elenei storms from the sky and delivers the most over the top writing cluster%$# in the series

You should read on the Battle of the Gullet dragons arent invincible.

4 hours ago, BeastMaster64 said:

Yes but looking at their position and the fact that they are both smart it makes sense and i believe that Danerys has matured enough to marry him.

It still doesn't cancel out the fact that Stannis has no claim to the throne if she's alive. If he married her he'd have to swallow his pride and give up his claim after all the shit hes been through which I doubt he will.

2 hours ago, theblackdragonI said:

It still doesn't cancel out the fact that Stannis has no claim to the throne if she's alive. If he married her he'd have to swallow his pride and give up his claim after all the shit hes been through which I doubt he will.

That is not how it works. The curent family on the Iron Throne is house Baratheon. House Targaryen are not in power and Stannis is Robert's Heir. Danerys being alive dosnt cancel Stannis claim to the throne.

With the appearance of Aegon and the supposed word that a second dance of dragons will occur, what role does Stannis have left in the story? It sounds like some page space needs to be set aside for the other things I mentioned. 

4 hours ago, BeastMaster64 said:

He has the Manderly fleet + probably other mercenary ships payed for by the Iron Bank

Manderly has what 20 something ships. Would that be enough against the IB and Volantis ships. I don't think so. Maybe Stannis' prowess as a general helps but it's nowhere near enough to make Dany think she has to marry him to avoid a naval battle where her fleet would most likely grossly outnumber his. 

Also, I'm not convinced the battle of the gullet somehow proves that naval warfare if the best way to defeat dragons. True two dragons died. But one was young and was trying to retreat and seemingly didn't attack at all. The other was described as flying too low which indicates rider error as opposed to how great ships are against dragons. 

6 hours ago, BeastMaster64 said:

I would guess as Maxxine wrote above, that Danaerys will have have the Iron Fleet and probably a signifigant number of Volentene ship, and considering she frees slaves, maybe some Bravosi support as well. Her fleet will bigger than his, her army will be bigger than his, her popularity in Westeros will probably even be greater than his, and she hates his guts, AND she has the greater claim,...AANNNDDD she has dragons. This will make absolutely no sense for her to marry Stannis. None. Aegon, perhaps, Willas Tyrell, perhaps, Jon Targaryen, perhaps...Stannis, no. 

6 hours ago, theblackdragonI said:

Exactly, she has a far greater claim to the throne than him.

3 hours ago, BeastMaster64 said:

That is not how it works. The curent family on the Iron Throne is house Baratheon. House Targaryen are not in power and Stannis is Robert's Heir. Danerys being alive dosnt cancel Stannis claim to the throne.

It does if he chooses to wed her. If he had the power to like force her to wed him, it would improve his claik I suppose, but he doesn't. He would have to woo her, and so therefore admit her claim was greater than his. Let's not forget, most of Westeros thinks Tommen is Robert's heir. Stannis' claim is weak at best even without Danaerys there.

If we ignore the practical problems here (and they are many), the only reason I can see for Daenerys to giving up her personal claim and become a queen consort for Stannis is if her claim isn´t passed over, but reinforced. That is - the important thing is not necessary Daenerys ass on the throne, but the restoration of the Targaryens. And there can be no possible peace (to not speak of an alliance) with a side that believes that Baratheons, due to Roberts illegal usurping, are the rightful monarchs. But an enlightened, mature Daenerys might see a value beyond her own ambition.

Hence, in order for this to work means that Stannis (and all of his blood after him) will forsake the name Baratheon, declare house Baratheon as usurpers and crown himself under the name of King Stannis Targaryen, first of his name. Only then can I possibly (in a very, very far-fetched theory) see Daenerys accepting this. And make no mistake, this is what´s on the negotiation table - regardless of how "righteous" some Baratheon fans think Robers Usurping is. You really can´t eat the cookie and still have it here. Daenerys must recieve something important, something so important that she is willing to not only make peace, but ally and marry the brother of the man that killed her brother and usurped the crown. And "maybe a tough battle", return to Westeros and "maturity" doesn´t cut it.

Tbh, I doubt the OP really understand this. He seems to see this from a Stannis-pespecitive and see it as obvious with a Baratheon on the throne. So no wonder that Stannis gets basically everything in this scenario - the crown, more soldiers, access to dragons, the hot babe, the help he needs to take him from a poor position. And Daenerys gets? Return to Westeros and what more? A loveless marriage, a role as queen consort and the destruction of house Targaryen the same way House Durrendon was destroyed. And Daenerys should somehow just suck it up? Because she has matured? Please - maturity isn´t capitualition and submissiveness. In fact, to surrender so fully is more like the ways of a child, too dependant of his parents and without the will to think and act for himself. And to be mature is more to place something else (a long-term goal) in front of yourself (like "freedom of speech" or in her case - house Targaryens survival), not to simply follow the stream just because opposition "might be" difficult.

It also feels like several books too late. Daenerys did forsake much of her ideas about peace in the last book - she found it too hollow and too much like Hizdahrs kisses. And Stannis lost the last of his fleet with the defection of Sallador Saan, is fighting a bloody war in the North at a time the Others will come knockin´ and quite frankly hasn´t got those sellswords yet. And Hizdahr at least was able to give her what she thought she wanted. Stannis is most certainly not in a "strong position" to stop Daenerys nor to assist her. His best chance to get this marriage is to do as Orys did, that is beat her in battle and marry her afterwards when she has nothing and considering Stannis assets atm, I don´t find that likely. This is a deal that could have been made maybe in Storm of Swords, before Stannis left for the wall and before Daenerys went for Mereen, but even then I would easily have held 100 to 1 against such a deal.

8 hours ago, Protagoras said:

Tbh, I doubt the OP really understand this. He seems to see this from a Stannis-pespecitive and see it as obvious with a Baratheon on the throne. So no wonder that Stannis gets basically everything in this scenario - the crown, more soldiers, access to dragons, the hot babe, the help he needs to take him from a poor position. And Daenerys gets? Return to Westeros and what more? A loveless marriage, a role as queen consort and the destruction of house Targaryen the same way House Durrendon was destroyed. And Daenerys should somehow just suck it up? Because she has matured? Please - maturity isn´t capitualition and submissiveness. In fact, to surrender so fully is more like the ways of a child, too dependant of his parents and without the will to think and act for himself. And to be mature is more to place something else (a long-term goal) in front of yourself (like "freedom of speech" or in her case - house Targaryens survival), not to simply follow the stream just because opposition "might be" difficult.

You've summed it up nicely hear. For Stannis to marry her he'd have to admit that all his actions since Robert's rebellion were those of a traitor. That he and his descendants have no claim to the throne. SOmething he would never do since his whole character arc and campaign for the throne has been as the "one true king". As for Dany she's already been forced into a loveless marriage she didn't want for practical reasons, can't see her doing it again with a larger army, navy and three dragons.

Archived