Hardcore History Podcast with Dan Carlin

Manhole Eunuchsbane

Thought I'd just shout out this amazing podcast that I've been diving into of late. Hardcore History hosted by Dan Carlin. I just finished his 6 part WW1 series Blueprint for Armageddon. 

This guy is an amazing narrator with an obvious love of history. Really entertaining and informative. Check it out.

I finished up with the WW1 episodes yesterday and started Episode 48 "Prophets of Doom". It centers on a public execution that occurs in the German City of Munster just a bit after Martin Luther posts his complaints against the church. This is not really a subject or time period that I am all that interested in, but it's absolutely fascinating.

Dans the man.

I've checked out all the materials that are free on the homepage and bought a collection of 40 or so of his past works. It is all excellent. King of Kings, Wrath of the Khans, and Fall of the Republic all stand out.

Blue print for Armageddon was incredible as well. I didn't know so much about WWI before that podcast, but was left with the distinct impression that, while worst things happened to civilians during WWII, being involved in the fighting in WWI would have been worse than the same in WWII. He paints a way more vivid picture than I got in prior history classes on the subject

we usually mention him in podcast rec channels. He is great even with his flaws (of repeating the same point several times in an episode). Sadly, he's the GRRM of podcasts with an ever increasing span between his shows. Savour them if doing the back catalog.

I love his ostfront and any of his Rome shows.

His Common Sense which is his commentary on current events is good too. Although that has also ground to a halt but I think he got some flak over hating Hilary as much as Trump (despite giving very good reasons why people shouldn't feel they have to vote for the lesser of two evils)

I eagerly await his new show - I like not doing what he's doing next.

EDIT: For fans of history podcasts I think there was a good list in the lit/ent forum somewhere. Usually Mike Duncan's "history of Rome" and "revolutions" (all/most the revolutions from the English Civil war onwards), BBC's "In our time" and "history of the world in 100 objects" get mentioned. I like all of them for quite different reasons

18 hours ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Thought I'd just shout out this amazing podcast that I've been diving into of late. Hardcore History hosted by Dan Carlin. I just finished his 6 part WW1 series Blueprint for Armageddon. 

This guy is an amazing narrator with an obvious love of history. Really entertaining and informative. Check it out.

The epic scale of his WWI series and the intimate detail with which he exposed the sheer horror of that war was pretty much the best series of episodes of a podcast I've ever heard. American Peril and Logical Insanity were also really good. 

Haven't really been able to get into the King of Kings series. Would kill for him to do a WWII deep dive.  

14 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

Does he do anything about the Republic or Empire?

1 minute ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Roman? I think so. I haven't gotten that far yet.

He did a series on the Punic Wars against Carthage but those are behind a pay wall. 

17 minutes ago, Jaime L said:

The epic scale of his WWI series and the intimate detail with which he exposed the sheer horror of that war was pretty much the best series of episodes of a podcast I've ever heard. American Peril and Logical Insanity were also really good. 

Haven't really been able to get into the King of Kings series. Would kill for him to do a WWII deep dive.  

Yeah, this guy is pretty singular. I love the way he imparts drama and such without going over the top. He's an amazing narrator and researcher. His Common Sense podcast is pretty solid as well. I first came across him on a crosscast he did with Sam Harris. That was pretty entertaining as well.

16 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

I've been finding a bunch of his stuff on You Tube. Kind of feeling guilty though. I think I'm going to cut him a check. He's worth it.

Yeah I've thought about buying the Punic Wars series. Problem is I've gotten really into the "How Did This Get Made" podcast featuring Andre and Rafi from The League and it's providing way too much amusement to consider anything else ATM. 

48 minutes ago, Jaime L said:

He did a "deep dive" on the german/russian front of WW2. It's called 'Ghosts of the Ostfront'.  Comes in just under 6 hours, Episodes 27-30 I think.

I'm very much looking forward to his next topic.  I'm curious as to what it is.  He says on his twitter that he's working 7 days a week on it.

Also "How did this get made?" is amazing!  In particular the Roadhouse, Fast and Furious stuff, and Gymkata episodes.

4 minutes ago, Slurktan said:

He did a "deep dive" on the german/russian front of WW2. It's called 'Ghosts of the Ostfront'.  Comes in just under 6 hours, Episodes 27-30 I think.

I'm very much looking forward to his next topic.  I'm curious as to what it is.  He says on his twitter that he's working 7 days a week on it.

Also "How did this get made?" is amazing!  In particular the Roadhouse, Fast and Furious stuff, and Gymkata episodes.

Yeah actually just saw 'Ghosts of the Ostfront' in his library after making that post. Is it good? I'd pay for that for sure.

On HDTGM, love the Fast 7 episode and Bloodsport. Believe me Roadhouse and Gymkata have been on my list forever but didn't DL them initially and now they're behind a pay wall too! Whatever, I just gotta suck it up and pay for the quality podcasts out there. 

Archived