NBA 2017: The Kings of Comedy

Jaime L

1 minute ago, Tywin et al. said:

I think this is a pretty spot on assessment. One other thing to note is that Cousins always seemed to doing fine mentally when he was on the National team. He should be absolved of any blame for the way things shook up in Sacramento, but I think most of the blame has to be assigned to that joke of an owner.

I don't think he should be absolved of any blame, as I do think his attitude contributed to the problem.  However, it is hard to blame him for having that attitude when he blossomed into one of the best players in the game and his team completely failed to put any real talent around him and continually blew draft picks and fired coaches.  

I still remember Cousins' frustrated tweet when the Kings blew the sixth pick in the 2015 draft on another center.  That was an idiotic waste of a draft pick.

12 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

The Wolves better not trade Rubio for Rose. The deal sounds terrible!

You don't want a former MVP? Besides being bad at passing, 3 point shooting, getting to the line and defense...what's your concern? 

1 hour ago, Rhom said:

Based on what Magic was saying last week publicly, I'm not surprised at all.  Don't believe its possible for him to do worse than Jim/Mitch; so why not try something new?

I hope he refuses to ever make a trade with the Pacers as long as Bird is there; just so we can have that rivalry going again.

1 hour ago, Rhom said:

Based on what Magic was saying last week publicly, I'm not surprised at all.  Don't believe its possible for him to do worse than Jim/Mitch; so why not try something new?

Are you sure?

Apparently Cousins' agent was trying to squash any potential trade by announcing that Cousins would not resign with any team that dealt for him. Which makes sense since Cousins basically lost 30 million the moment he was traded. Of course, the statement lowered his trade value, and put the Kings in a shit spot. 

::shrugs

1 hour ago, briantw said:

I still remember Cousins' frustrated tweet when the Kings blew the sixth pick in the 2015 draft on another center.  That was an idiotic waste of a draft pick.

They had a lot of those in recent years. You can't build a team by drafting shooting guards and centers....

3 hours ago, Jaime L said:

You don't want a former MVP? Besides being bad at passing, 3 point shooting, getting to the line and defense...what's your concern? 

So that's why they call you the Salter of Wounds?

So apparently the shake up with the Lakers occurred because Jimmy and Mitch didn't tell Magic that the Lakers had the potential to get Boogie. And all they would of had to give up was a tooth pick Brandon Ingram and a pick or young prospect. Talk about a major fail. I'm still 99% sure that Ingram will never amount to anything in the NBA.

5 hours ago, Rhom said:

Dunno.  Mitch used to be decent before Jimmy took over.  Still, I can see why it makes sense to get rid of both of them and make a clean start. But for Magic??? Having been exposed to Magic in bits and pieces over the years, I am shocked that anyone would consider him a good choice to rebuild a franchise.    

Me too. I've seen him mostly on talk shows and some of the stuff he said didn't strike me as great.

Which was really odd to me as he was such a phenomenal player.

I heard that too about the Lakers being in the running for Cousins as well, but somehow that didn't end up working.

3 minutes ago, Calibandar said:

Me too. I've seen him mostly on talk shows and some of the stuff he said didn't strike me as great.

Which was really odd to me as he was such a phenomenal player.

I heard that too about the Lakers being in the running for Cousins as well, but somehow that didn't end up working.

You can be a phenomenal player and still be a shit judge of talent.  

BTW Tywin, I've now seen the All-Star game as well, and that was indeed dreadful. 

Turned it off after 15 minutes. Apparently many people felt the same way. As far as I'm concerned they can retire the whole All-Star idea. The only thing I'd find worth watching was an All-Star game in which the stars are actually playing each other and making a match of it. Instead, as they openly admit, it's all about them having days off and having fun.

4 hours ago, briantw said:

You can be a phenomenal player and still be a shit judge of talent.  

That's usually how it goes. Most great players (regardless of the sport) make terrible coaches and GMs.

4 hours ago, Calibandar said:

BTW Tywin, I've now seen the All-Star game as well, and that was indeed dreadful. 

Turned it off after 15 minutes. Apparently many people felt the same way. As far as I'm concerned they can retire the whole All-Star idea. The only thing I'd find worth watching was an All-Star game in which the stars are actually playing each other and making a match of it. Instead, as they openly admit, it's all about them having days off and having fun.

I don't expect them to play a true game, but what they did on Sunday was an absolute joke. At this point they should just name who is first team, second team and third team all-NBA and give them a week off.

Maybe they should just have a one on one tournament. At least that would be entertaining. 

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

That's usually how it goes. Most great players (regardless of the sport) make terrible coaches and GMs.

I don't expect them to play a true game, but what they did on Sunday was an absolute joke. At this point they should just name who is first team, second team and third team all-NBA and give them a week off.

Maybe they should just have a one on one tournament. At least that would be entertaining. 

Oooooh... what about an NBA Jam style 2 on 2?!!?

5 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Oooooh... what about an NBA Jam style 2 on 2?!!?

This is a fantastic idea. I think every team in the league should send it's two best players, regardless of position...make it 5 minute games, single elimination...and just go at it. On one hand, I would think the Pelicans would now just roll everyone. Good luck covering DeMarcus Cousins with Steph Curry. But that goes two ways and Steph is gonna make like 9 out of 10 threes without someone who can stay with him.

Basically no-one would be able to cover anyone. I'd pay money to watch that first tournament though. 

Pretty that by only needing to carry one teammate instead of four, LeBron would dominate this tournament. At least now that Durant and Westbrook are on different teams.

I'm all for it though.

The all star game needs stakes,  and incentive. Large donation to player favorite charities or something. The lack of defense makes it unwatchable,  but if these dudes actually tried to defend each other it would be much more fun. 

1 hour ago, Fez said:

Pretty that by only needing to carry one teammate instead of four, LeBron would dominate this tournament. At least now that Durant and Westbrook are on different teams.

I'm all for it though.

LeBron wouldn't have to carry anyone.  Kyrie Irving's game is basically tailor made for a two-on-two style.  He'd be destroying people with crossovers.

Archived