NBA 2017: Playoffs? Playoffs?!

Relic

3 minutes ago, Fez said:

I think the league overall probably is the most talented now that it ever has been. That said, if Jordan was playing in his prime today, he'd still end up GOAT. The only difference is that he might end up with less rings; unless he was willing to join/create a super team. But his stats and dominance on the court would be unchanged.

And LeBron is not even close to washed up yet. He's just embraced the Spurs' model of conserving energy for the playoffs.

Nah, I don't agree the league is more talented, imo. The game was totally different then. Barkley has a case that the league is soft, which it is. Without the rules changes to give the offense and edge, we would still be having games in the 80-90 range night out. The game was way more physical, the floor wasn't a spread. Overall talent might been better in the 80'and 90's. If it wasn't a defensive game with hand checking aloud,  score would've been just as high as today. I cannot agree that the league has more talent today as then. People forget way to quickly. Steph Curry would have been manhandled and much easier to stop in that era.

I think Steph would be a superstar in 80s or 90s but it would be more difficult for the whole team and himself to put up gawdy record breaking numbers. You'd need at least 2 body guards for him. Think Bill Laimbeer types who's only job would be stop people from mandhandling Steph. 

And the 90s just gave up on 2 guards that were deadly at 3s. Everybody wanted a big strong 2 guard to deal with Jordan. Plenty of deadly shooters during that era werent even given a real chance in the NBA. 

6 hours ago, Relic said:

Bill Simmons has walked back his argument that the OKC has as good a supporting cast as the Rockets do.  When do I get my breakfast in bed Jaime? 

Having now gotten to watch most of the three games, I agree. There's several guys on OKC who have bigger names than their level of play (i.e.: Adams, Oladipo, Gibson). So many more guys on Houston capable of creating and carrying the offense in Harden's absence. OKC could have even used a Bojan Bogdanovich.

That said, we didn't make a bet on this so no rubbery eggs for you. But I get that you have an extra hop in your step getting to watch this Raptors-Bucks series which I'm sure reminds you of your favorite 75-68 Knicks-Heat games from the 90s. 

Zero intensity by any Wizard on either end of the floor except John Wall who appears only motivated by his loathing of Dennis Schroeder. It's like they thought Atlanta would just roll over at home. How you fall behind 25 in the first quarter is beyond me. 

As many know, I'm a huge Oklahoma homer. I love Blake Griffin, he was at OU as the same time as me and watching him just fucking dominate outmatched college kids was one of the highlights of my final year of college, which is still the best year of my life to date. That said, I do not want him on the Thunder. He's a guy who relies on overwhelming athleticism, and that athleticism is fading fast. He's hurt way too often. I just don't htink he's the answer for the Thunder, and I think anyone who gives him a big contract in the offseason is going to have that albatross around their neck for the next 5 years.

1 hour ago, Triskan said:

Spurs v. Griz was one of the better playoff games you'll see.  Cannot believe Memphis survives against that Leonard.  Still like SA to win the series but Memphis has impressively tied it up.  Man, that was fun.  

Nurkic is able to go for Portland after all and they're off to a nice start with 37 points in the 1st at home.  

Seems like Nurkic's presence is considerable. Blazers killing the Warriors on the boards.

Woo hoo!  Nice final 15 minutes or so for the Warriors on the road without Durant (or Livingston).

Hope GSW gets healthy and starts hitting on all cylinders - the playoff path in the west is tough and Lebron and his Cavs probably await in the finals.

12 hours ago, Fez said:

I think the league overall probably is the most talented now that it ever has been. That said, if Jordan was playing in his prime today, he'd still end up GOAT. The only difference is that he might end up with less rings; unless he was willing to join/create a super team. But his stats and dominance on the court would be unchanged.

And LeBron is not even close to washed up yet. He's just embraced the Spurs' model of conserving energy for the playoffs.

He pretty much was on a super-team. They were a 55 win team (would finish 3rd overall this year) during his retirement. Pippen is one of the all time best Second stars, and they had guys like Rodman, Kukoc, and Grant, plus nice role players like Kerr, Cartwright, Armstrong etc.

15 hours ago, Jaime L said:

Having now gotten to watch most of the three games, I agree. There's several guys on OKC who have bigger names than their level of play (i.e.: Adams, Oladipo, Gibson). So many more guys on Houston capable of creating and carrying the offense in Harden's absence. OKC could have even used a Bojan Bogdanovich.

That said, we didn't make a bet on this so no rubbery eggs for you. But I get that you have an extra hop in your step getting to watch this Raptors-Bucks series which I'm sure reminds you of your favorite 75-68 Knicks-Heat games from the 90s. 

So, in your mind, does this change anything re: the MVP?

I loved those Knicks/Heat battles haha. I used to get tickets to all NYC sporting events back then, so I was actually at the Van Gundy leg game, and later LJ's 4 Point play (greatest sports moment of my life). Gotta respect the Bucks for scraping hard. 

9 hours ago, Triskan said:

Spurs v. Griz was one of the better playoff games you'll see.  Cannot believe Memphis survives against that Leonard.  Still like SA to win the series but Memphis has impressively tied it up.  Man, that was fun.  

Just watched the last part of that game on Youtube. WOW. What a game, and holy shit Leonard...dude was just incredible. 

5 hours ago, James Arryn said:

He pretty much was on a super-team. They were a 55 win team (would finish 3rd overall this year) during his retirement. Pippen is one of the all time best Second stars, and they had guys like Rodman, Kukoc, and Grant, plus nice role players like Kerr, Cartwright, Armstrong etc.

Ron Harper often gets overlooked but he was a huge and maybe even necessary part of that second 3peat. People like to talk about the defense of Jordan and Pippen but if you go watch those seasons it was Ron Harper who always got the toughest perimeter D assignments, while MJ and Pip were more or less alowed to take on a free safety kind of role on defense.

18 hours ago, Michael Seswatha Jordan said:

Nah, I don't agree the league is more talented, imo. The game was totally different then. Barkley has a case that the league is soft, which it is. Without the rules changes to give the offense and edge, we would still be having games in the 80-90 range night out. The game was way more physical, the floor wasn't a spread. Overall talent might been better in the 80'and 90's. If it wasn't a defensive game with hand checking aloud,  score would've been just as high as today. I cannot agree that the league has more talent today as then. People forget way to quickly. Steph Curry would have been manhandled and much easier to stop in that era.

The rules are different. But just looking at the sheer athleticism on the floor (and not just freaks like Westrbook), I don't think there's any question that the guys today are stronger and faster than at any previous point in NBA history. There are outliers like Curry, but look at the league averages; the top 15 seasons by average height and average weight are all post-2000. The guys are just bigger than ever, and if the game was more physical (and the players were used to those rules), it'd be the guys from the '80s getting manhandled.

And if we use free throw % as a proxy for raw shooting accuracy (since its the only shot not affected by rule changes; in terms of accuracy, obvious frequency is affected), the '90s in particular are not well-represented. The '80s are at least on par with today's game, I'll give you that; though this past season did set the new league record (breaking the previous record from the 2008 season).

1 hour ago, Fez said:

The rules are different. But just looking at the sheer athleticism on the floor (and not just freaks like Westrbook), I don't think there's any question that the guys today are stronger and faster than at any previous point in NBA history. There are outliers like Curry, but look at the league averages; the top 15 seasons by average height and average weight are all post-2000. The guys are just bigger than ever, and if the game was more physical (and the players were used to those rules), it'd be the guys from the '80s getting manhandled.

Well if you bring 80s players in a time machine to the present, in theory they should be able to take advantage of modern training regiments, diets,  and so forth. Theyd make more money and there's just more money overall in the league. I think most would be able to adjust to current (nba) norms of speed and athleticism. 

Can anyone here imagine what Magic would have been had he access to modern technology? Lets imagine Magic was a rookie heading into next season. He'd be a chiseled monster, on pace to being the best all around player maybe ever. He'd at least give LeBron a run for that title. 

7 hours ago, Fez said:

And if we use free throw % as a proxy for raw shooting accuracy (since its the only shot not affected by rule changes; in terms of accuracy, obvious frequency is affected), the '90s in particular are not well-represented. The '80s are at least on par with today's game, I'll give you that; though this past season did set the new league record (breaking the previous record from the 2008 season).

I don't agree with this at all. One, as @DunderMifflin pointed out, if those players from the 80's had the same medicine, regimines, etc that they have now, they would benefit the same.

My argument is the league is different, therefore scoring is up and defensive aren't allowed to hand check and a host of other tactics that made scoring harder. Could you imagine the #'s Jordan would put up in his prime with the way the game is played today? And, can't buy into the argument that players are stronger and faster, if so, it's minimal. The only thing that has changed the game is the rule changes.

Archived