NBA 2017: Fleecing the East

Relic

On the Bomani Jones show, he said that the Cavs had a deal on the table that would have sent Kyrie to the Suns for Eric Bledsoe and the number 4 pick.  They didn't do it because they didn't know Irving wanted out.

Trading Kyrie and getting a next tier PG and a player like Josh Jackson?  Would have been a no brained had they known.

Also at 10:21 last night John Wall announced that he had signed a new deal...

Coincidence?  :lol: 

He really should send a nice fruit basket to Kyrie by way of saying thanks.

Sounds like Irving's dad is at least somewhat behind this.  Much like Lavar Ball, he's vicariously living through his son's NBA achievements, and he wants to see him as the star on a team, not the second banana.

I honestly think the Cavs losing David Griffin was a much bigger blow than losing Kyrie would be.

Kyrie is deadly, don't get me wrong, but the Cavs' system in itself needs to change. Their transition defense was trash, players often just stand around waiting for the ball, the team is full of guys with aging knees and their main gun is getting up there in age as well.

It's completely shocking isn't it? What the hell?

What is he thinking? It almost only makes sense if he knows LeBron wants to stay in Cleveland for the next few years.

Which seems unlikely as we are continiously told that no one knows that, not even LeBron.

It just seems so illogical, just to be the no.1 option. 

I mean, if he goes to the Spurs, who do indeed desperately need a new point guard, is he that focal point of the offense? Most people would say Kahwi remains the no.1 on that team, though admittedly he's really a two way player and doesn't dominate the offense. 

Miami? What's interesting there for the Cavs? I don't see it. The T-wolves? A Wiggins trade would be hilarious but it seems unlikely. They're not trading Towns and Butler is obviously a no-no. I doubt the T-Wolves can make this work.

The Phoenix option, if they give you Bledsoe and Booker I'd do it. If it's just Bledsoe and someone else it becomes much less interesting.

Finally, the Knicks. They seem like a good candidate with a Melo trade. But that is still a step back for the Cavs, they'd rather have Irving I am sure. And besides, how does that work, with LeBron, Melo and Love all covering those positions?

From a Cavs perspective, I would consider not trading him despite the request and see if I could mend bridges.

I am really curious what makes Kyrie come out with this request right now. Why not a few weeks earlier when deals were to be done? What has happened? And why is the need so pressing? Why not sit out this season, when LeBron is a free agent and you can see what happens? I know, he wants to try and control his own destiny. But still, the timing and the reasoning seem very strange.

2 hours ago, Red Tiger said:

I honestly think the Cavs losing David Griffin was a much bigger blow than losing Kyrie would be.

Eh...I'm not so sure about that.  Gilbert pretty much acts as the de facto GM anyway (not saying this is ideal, but that's the situation), so all that's really required is someone who is smart with the cap and who knows how to put together trades.

1 hour ago, briantw said:

Eh...I'm not so sure about that.  Gilbert pretty much acts as the de facto GM anyway (not saying this is ideal, but that's the situation), so all that's really required is someone who is smart with the cap and who knows how to put together trades.

I don't believe that. What Griffin got LeBron when he was GM looks quite a bit different than what LeBron got during his first stint with the Cavs.

3 minutes ago, Red Tiger said:

I don't believe that. What Griffin got LeBron when he was GM looks quite a bit different than what LeBron got during his first stint with the Cavs.

Yeah, because the Cavs had assets this time to trade that they didn't have last time LeBron was there.  And Griffin burnt through a lot of those assets very quickly and got mediocre to bad returns on many of them.  I thought he did a solid job, but he wasn't amazing or anything.  

It's like people forget that, during LeBron's first tenure in Cleveland, the team literally had no assets of value at all besides LeBron.  Gilbert bought the team in 2005.  They didn't even have a first round pick that summer because it had been traded away years before.  Their pick in 2004 (not made by the Gilbert/Ferry regime obviously) busted.  They had LeBron, Ilgauskas, and literally nothing else of value when Gilbert took over.  You also have to consider how different the NBA was back then.  It has changed immensely over the past decade or so.  No stars were lining up to play in small markets back then.  Now, market size only seems to matter to players who would rather live in a big city than win, and stars are more than willing to come to smaller cities like Cleveland for the promise of title shots (see: Love, Kevin, who didn't meet with a single other team before re-signing with Cleveland).  

Further, LeBron hadn't won a title yet at that point, so he hadn't established himself as a winner that veteran ring chasers could latch on to, or as a guy that other players in their prime were willing to force their way to play with.  That has obviously changed.  Both Butler and George were more than willing to be traded to Cleveland, and the Cavs are one of two teams Melo will waive his no trade clause for right now.

---

As far as the Cavs' situation goes, there are some things I've heard that I can't repeat, but one thing I've heard is that there are far more teams interested in Irving than there were in George or Butler.  Granted, George's situation was unique, but the Butler thing kind of surprises me.

Yeah, because the Cavs had assets this time to trade that they didn't have last time LeBron was there.  And Griffin burnt through a lot of those assets very quickly and got mediocre to bad returns on many of them.  I thought he did a solid job, but he wasn't amazing or anything.  

It's like people forget that, during LeBron's first tenure in Cleveland, the team literally had no assets of value at all besides LeBron.  Gilbert bought the team in 2005.  They didn't even have a first round pick that summer because it had been traded away years before.  Their pick in 2004 (not made by the Gilbert/Ferry regime obviously) busted.  They had LeBron, Ilgauskas, and literally nothing else of value when Gilbert took over.  You also have to consider how different the NBA was back then.  It has changed immensely over the past decade or so.  No stars were lining up to play in small markets back then.  Now, market size only seems to matter to players who would rather live in a big city than win, and stars are more than willing to come to smaller cities like Cleveland for the promise of title shots (see: Love, Kevin, who didn't meet with a single other team before re-signing with Cleveland).  

Further, LeBron hadn't won a title yet at that point, so he hadn't established himself as a winner that veteran ring chasers could latch on to, or as a guy that other players in their prime were willing to force their way to play with.  That has obviously changed.  Both Butler and George were more than willing to be traded to Cleveland, and the Cavs are one of two teams Melo will waive his no trade clause for right now.

---

As far as the Cavs' situation goes, there are some things I've heard that I can't repeat, but one thing I've heard is that there are far more teams interested in Irving than there were in George or Butler.  Granted, George's situation was unique, but the Butler thing kind of surprises me.

Fair

Things you can't repeat?!!!?  Is briantw short for Brian Windhorst and are you on the air protecting sources?!!!?  We are random dudes on the internet and we are unlikely to slam you for being wrong eventually.  It's not like you are @Jack Bauer 24 declaring Bradley Beal dead or anything... :lol: 

4 hours ago, Rhom said:

Things you can't repeat?!!!?  Is briantw short for Brian Windhorst and are you on the air protecting sources?!!!?  We are random dudes on the internet and we are unlikely to slam you for being wrong eventually.  It's not like you are @Jack Bauer 24 declaring Bradley Beal dead or anything... :lol: 

I'm a member of a private board and there is certain stuff posted there that members are not allowed to repeat.

I think the Kyrie situation more or less boils downs to the stability that Lebron is not willing to offer. Rumors. The Lakers next summer. Basically, i feel, that Kyrie is just looking out for Kyrie. If Lebron decides he wants to go to L.A. or Houston for that matter, then Kyrie is in a shitty situation and isnt in control of his destiny, so to say. If Lebron would/wouldve locked up for 4-5 years, you wouldnt be hearing a peep outta Kyrie. He doesnt want hung out to dry...i dont blame him. And, its likely.

According to the new ESPN article, it seems like they are at least getting ready to trade him, or have been in that mode since they received the news from Irving, and it's also mentioned that many teams are interested. Fair chance that Irving is traded to a team that is not one of those 4. But it seems as if the Cavs are going to trade him, rather than keep him to his contract..

8 hours ago, Michael Seswatha Jordan said:

I think the Kyrie situation more or less boils downs to the stability that Lebron is not willing to offer. Rumors. The Lakers next summer. Basically, i feel, that Kyrie is just looking out for Kyrie. If Lebron decides he wants to go to L.A. or Houston for that matter, then Kyrie is in a shitty situation and isnt in control of his destiny, so to say. If Lebron would/wouldve locked up for 4-5 years, you wouldnt be hearing a peep outta Kyrie. He doesnt want hung out to dry...i dont blame him. And, its likely.

I'd say it's actually the opposite.  If Kyrie knew that LeBron was leaving next summer, he'd probably have gutted it out and kept his mouth shut, biding his time knowing he'd be the guy starting next year.  But since the players on the Cavs believe that it's unlikely that LeBron is leaving, Kyrie knew he was looking at another five years of being the second banana and that's apparently not what he wanted.

57 minutes ago, Calibandar said:

According to the new ESPN article, it seems like they are at least getting ready to trade him, or have been in that mode since they received the news from Irving, and it's also mentioned that many teams are interested. Fair chance that Irving is traded to a team that is not one of those 4. But it seems as if the Cavs are going to trade him, rather than keep him to his contract..

From what I've heard, LeBron is going to make it a mission to annihilate whatever team Kyrie is on every time they play the Cavs.

Archived