why cersie hates the starks

Graydon Hicks

7 hours ago, Springwatch said:

Does anyone else think that Cersei was once in love with Ned Stark? And he rejected her?

There was that moment after the Rebellion when Ned took his army into King's Landing, and intimidated Jaime off the throne just by looking at him. People were thinking Ned would be king. Cersei loves power, loves it - I can't imagine she felt quite the same about Jaime after that.

And there's that quote of her's: the king I'd thought to marry would have laid a wolfskin on my bed before sunset. (approx). Well yeah, the lady of King Stark would have wolfskins to mark her status, lots of them.

And Ned - he's very touchy about Cersei, almost as bad as about 'Jon's mother'. Embarrassed?

I'm pretty sure she was talking about Rhaegar. When Robert doesn't want to pay the 100 gold dragons to whomever brings Nymeria's pelt following her attack on Joffrey, Cersei makes the comment about the king she'd thought to wed, meaning that Rhaegar would have paid anything for the sake of her, and Joffrey's, honor.

12 hours ago, Graydon Hicks said:

we see how much contempt cersie hold for the starks, more than her father, or either brother holds for them, ive been thinking on why. i dont think it the normal derision that the andals south of the neck hold for the first men of the north. it seems more personal. if i had to guess,i would say it has to do with lyanna and rhaegar, the fact that when rhaegar ran off with a woman and cheated on elia martell, he chose lyanna, instead of cersie. she would most definetly see that as an insult in her mind, that she lost out as a choice of mistress for the prince to this barbarian wild woman from the northern wastes.

In all honesty, I don't see Cersei having any extra hatred for Starks than she does for Tyrells, Martells, Arryns or any other family. Come to think of it, she doesn't seem to have much love for most Lannisters eithers.

2 hours ago, Brannis the Mannis said:

Joffrey literally insults Robb in the next few paragraphs. He calls him a coward and a child, go back and read the passage if you don't believe me. This isn't the Starks being disrespectful, this is Joffrey being a cunt

Oh I remember the chapter, it's Arya's first in GOT. They both insulted each other. Though Joff never threatens Robb.  Robb had to be held back by Theon from going after the Crown Prince. Joffrey never loses his cool while Robb starts cursing and acting out. Robb was more out of line then Joff was here. Joffrey holds the higher rank then Robb and Robb doesn't show him respect even calling him "Joff" instead of Prince Joffrey. Robb took Joff's bait and embarrassed himself by acting like the child Joff inferred he was. 

3 hours ago, Brannis the Mannis said:

So you admit that this was another case of Joffrey simply being a cunt, rather than Stark disrespect. 

I'm looking at it through Cersei's point of view since this thread is about her. Her son was bit by a Stark wolf. Sansa and Joffrey both tell her and King Robert that Arya sicced it on her son. Arya's own sister, Sansa, backs up Joffrey's story. As readers we know the whole truth, Cersei and Bob only know what they have been told by the three involved.

Just because you're the Queen/King doesn't mean you get to disrespect everyone around in every way possible. Look at what happened to Aerys. 

Well Cersei didn't feel like she disrespected anybody at the time, not out loud anyway. Though as Queen she feels she reserves the right to do as she wishes as we see in her story arc.

You mean like how the Lannisters tried to kill Bran without reprisal?

Catelyn and the Starks had no proof that Tyrion or any of the Lannisters tried to kill Bran. 

Ned gave Cersei a very merciful choice, considering the circumstances. 

Not in Cersei's mind. Robert doesn't take slights lightly as we have seen with Robert's Rebellion. Plus she wanted her son to be the next King of Westeros. Why do what Ned suggested when she could do what she did instead?

There is obviously Lyanna, but she wasn't the only one Robert loved much more than her. There is also Ned. Even though she doesn't even like Robert at that stage, she still wants to hold sway over him. And with Ned around she doesn't have much power at all. She probably bristles at his honour and the fact he is cold towards her doesn't help either.

I didn't really have an impression that Cersei had any personal hatred towards Starks, to me it was just Cersei being Cersei who is extremely mean to almost everyone overall. For example, she didn't hate Sansa before Joffrey's death and her escape, she actually thought she was being nice to her. In reality she wasn't, of course, but Cersei genuinely believed she was.

Archived