NCAA Basketball 2017: In the March of Madness

Ded As Ned

I don't  understand how TTU is a 3 seed and WVU is a 5 seed.  Both teams have 24 wins and WVU is 2-1 vs. TTU.  WVU failed to beat Kansas and TTU did beat Kansas, but WVU also beat the overall #1 seed UVA.  Don't really get how there's 2 seed lines separating these two teams.  

I have thought more about Kentucky's draw and I don't hate it.  I just think its backwards.

If you told me that to reach a Final Four we would need to beat Davidson->Cincinnati->Arizona->Virginia; I can live with that.  We're just sticking the Arizona/Virginia games about one round earlier than I would like them to be.

Arizona is still the one team I didn't want to see though.

23 minutes ago, S John said:

I don't  understand how TTU is a 3 seed and WVU is a 5 seed.  Both teams have 24 wins and WVU is 2-1 vs. TTU.  WVU failed to beat Kansas and TTU did beat Kansas, but WVU also beat the overall #1 seed UVA.  Don't really get how there's 2 seed lines separating these two teams.  

Yes, but how many quadrant one wins did you have.  :lol:  Since apparently that's all that matters now or something.

21 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Yes, but how many quadrant one wins did you have.  :lol:  Since apparently that's all that matters now or something.

More than Texas Tech!  WVU is 8-8 in Q1, TTU is 7-7.  For that matter only 5 teams in the whole country have more Q1 wins than WVU.  Like, did they screw up and mean to make WVU #3 and TTU #5 and now its too late to fix it?  The two teams even share the same bad loss - @ Iowa State.

WVU has more Q1 wins than 1 of the #1 seeds, 3 of the #2 seeds, and ALL of the 3/4 seeds.  Meanwhile UNC gets a #2 on the strength of having the most Q1 wins.  TTU gets a first round game in their home state, while WVU travels to California to play a hot team that's won 13 straight. 

That said, I don't mind our path overall.  I think we can do some damage in this bracket as long as we don't pull a repeat of the SFA game a couple years ago.  

4 hours ago, S John said:

More than Texas Tech!  WVU is 8-8 in Q1, TTU is 7-7.  For that matter only 5 teams in the whole country have more Q1 wins than WVU.  Like, did they screw up and mean to make WVU #3 and TTU #5 and now its too late to fix it?  The two teams even share the same bad loss - @ Iowa State.

WVU has more Q1 wins than 1 of the #1 seeds, 3 of the #2 seeds, and ALL of the 3/4 seeds.  Meanwhile UNC gets a #2 on the strength of having the most Q1 wins.  TTU gets a first round game in their home state, while WVU travels to California to play a hot team that's won 13 straight. 

That said, I don't mind our path overall.  I think we can do some damage in this bracket as long as we don't pull a repeat of the SFA game a couple years ago.  

Yeah... about that hot team...

:box: 

Bring it Mountain Boy!

5 minutes ago, Theda Baratheon said:

As happy as I am to be included I'm still bemused by the whole thing being an exceptionally unsporty person lol 

Part of the fun of March Madness is that people who've never watched sports still participate. It's hilarious when someone wins the office pool without watching a game while the CBB junkie finishes dead last. So your participation kind of serves that purpose. Your goal here is to bring great shame to the @Rhoms of the world. 

Just remember to pick teams this year :P

7 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Part of the fun of March Madness is that people who've never watched sports still participate. It's hilarious when someone wins the office pool without watching a game while the CBB junkie finishes dead last. So your participation kind of serves that purpose. Your goal here is to bring great shame to the @Rhoms of the world. 

Just remember to pick teams this year :P

You know what I'll take that lol an try and remember to do it this year no promises 

As a Michigan fan it sucks that they didn't get rewarded for winning B1G tourney by getting to stay at the Detroit site after beating MSU and Purdue back to back. Instead they are headed out west and guess what, MSU and Purdue get to stay here in Detroit! Oh well, it sounds like Michigan has a softer bracket and I couldn't make it to a game this week anyway.

3 hours ago, Rhom said:

Yeah... about that hot team...

:box: 

Bring it Mountain Boy!

Kentucky already beat the Mountaineers this season, so I’m afraid we have reached the quota on Rhom teams beating my team for the year.  NCAA rules man, my hands are tied.

4 hours ago, Ded As Ned said:

Lousville turns down the NIT invitation.  Because of course they did. 

What I saw is that the players voted to turn it down, but the administration accepted the bid anyways.

What do I get from that?  If you’re a betting man... go heavy on Northern Kentucky tomorrow night!

8 hours ago, Rhom said:

What I saw is that the players voted to turn it down, but the administration accepted the bid anyways.

What do I get from that?  If you’re a betting man... go heavy on Northern Kentucky tomorrow night!

Yeah I saw this morning that they were playing tonight.  I had only caught the headline that the players had voted to turn it down, so my bad there.

9 hours ago, Rhom said:

27 minutes ago, Ded As Ned said:

Yeah I saw this morning that they were playing tonight.  I had only caught the headline that the players had voted to turn it down, so my bad there.

I mean what the hell? I get the pride thing from the perspective of a blueblood program, but why wouldn't the players on a team want to continue their season, with a chance at winning a championship (even if it's only the NIT)? Shows lack of character and competitive drive from those guys. 

1 hour ago, Ferrum Aeternum said:

I mean what the hell? I get the pride thing from the perspective of a blueblood program, but why wouldn't the players on a team want to continue their season, with a chance at winning a championship (even if it's only the NIT)? Shows lack of character and competitive drive from those guys. 

Probably felt like they were protesting the decision to be left out. Kids are stupid.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/22737287/ted-valentine-not-officiate-ncaa-tournament

This is maybe the most embarrassing story I've ever read. A quote from a 59 year old adult, about being punished for unprofessional conduct: "This is not right, it's just not fair," Valentine told ESPN. "It hit me like a ton of bricks. I'm being punished unjustly."

What a fucking buffoon. Guy shouldn't have a job, much less be rewarded with working the tournament. Incredibly frustrating what low quality of individuals you get in the officiating position.

My son filled out a bracket at my office yesterday.  Today I entered those picks into our bracket pool... I worry that I will lose to a seven year old.  :lol: 

Archived