Choice between Betrothals

Angel Eyes

3 minutes ago, The Weirwoods Eyes said:

And your point? I wasn't suggesting six year old Alys would be sneaking off to fuck Jon. But people grow up ya know! 

My point is exactly that - she was a wee lass at that point and her opinions are not exactly of great weight ...

8 minutes ago, TMIFairy said:

My point is exactly that - she was a wee lass at that point and her opinions are not exactly of great weight ...

And my point was not about her opinion. Other than the idea that a very indulgent father might take her indifference to Robb into account. 

My point which you have missed completely is that a father might consider the long term implications of marrying his daughter to his liege lords son and heir if said daughter expressed an interest in the heirs bastard brother. Or do you think people arranging marriages don't think about the fact their child will become an teen/adult and that teens/adults have sex? I'm Just pointing out that Alys preference for Jon over Robb could have potential ramifications in adulthood, ramifications that would cause bedlam in the north, possibly destroy house Karstark, and maybe result in your daughter getting her head chopped off by an angry cuckolded husband. And a parent considering marriage for their child would be an idiot not to think through as many outcomes as they can imagine before making that choice. If my daughter at 6 likes this boy and I place her in the same household as him, might she at 16 be tempted to shag him? Do I want to risk that? 

39 minutes ago, The Weirwoods Eyes said:

And my point was not about her opinion. Other than the idea that a very indulgent father might take her indifference to Robb into account. 

My point which you have missed completely is that a father might consider the long term implications of marrying his daughter to his liege lords son and heir if said daughter expressed an interest in the heirs bastard brother. Or do you think people arranging marriages don't think about the fact their child will become an teen/adult and that teens/adults have sex? I'm Just pointing out that Alys preference for Jon over Robb could have potential ramifications in adulthood, ramifications that would cause bedlam in the north, possibly destroy house Karstark, and maybe result in your daughter getting her head chopped off by an angry cuckolded husband. And a parent considering marriage for their child would be an idiot not to think through as many outcomes as they can imagine before making that choice. If my daughter at 6 likes this boy and I place her in the same household as him, might she at 16 be tempted to shag him? Do I want to risk that? 

To be honest, Lord Rickard Karstark isn’t the best to be arranging matches. He offers Alys’ hand to anyone who can capture or kill Jaime and Vargo Hoat tries to cash in. What father would betroth his daughter to someone like Vargo Hoat, a sadistic man who likes to chop off limbs? For all his talk about fathers who love their sons, he’s asking for trouble for his daughter.

9 minutes ago, Angel Eyes said:

To be honest, Lord Rickard Karstark isn’t the best to be arranging matches. He offers Alys’ hand to anyone who can capture or kill Jaime

Rickard was distraught.

50 minutes ago, The Weirwoods Eyes said:

Did Alys have a preference for Jon? I thought she found Jon sullen, which isn’t a great character trait.

10 hours ago, Angel Eyes said:

Did Alys have a preference for Jon?

IIRC Alys was just nice enough to dance and talk to Jon as well as Robb, where as all the other young ladies that came to Winterfell with their lord fathers probably just ignored Jon and focused all their attention on Robb. Doesn't exactly mean she preferred one over the other.

Ned should have arranged a betrothal for Robb before he went south and had him married well before winter came. Edddard seemed blasé about his elder children's marriages until Robert brought up  the Joeffrey match. However he had to have known Robb needed to marry a northern lady since he himself married a southerner. This all comes back to haunt Robb when he is not even betrothed when he crosses the Twins. Catelyn should have made a match with one of the northern lords before she stepped into her negotiations with Walder Frey. 

14 hours ago, Angel Eyes said:

To be honest, Lord Rickard Karstark isn’t the best to be arranging matches. He offers Alys’ hand to anyone who can capture or kill Jaime and Vargo Hoat tries to cash in. What father would betroth his daughter to someone like Vargo Hoat, a sadistic man who likes to chop off limbs? For all his talk about fathers who love their sons, he’s asking for trouble for his daughter.

This is a far better retort, good point.  I was speaking more in terms of sensible politically astute logical behaviour rather than actually taking the characters into account. Rickard indeed was a bellend. 

15 hours ago, Angel Eyes said:

Did Alys have a preference for Jon? I thought she found Jon sullen, which isn’t a great character trait.

And here I thought that girls were into emos ...

On ‎4‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 10:04 AM, Angel Eyes said:

If two houses push to have a son marry a lord's daughter, which should you choose?

Scenario: Take Ned Stark. Robert has suggested Joffrey marry Sansa as in canon, but say he has also received offers from his bannermen, i.e. if the Greatjon offers a marriage between Sansa and the Smalljon. Should Ned stick with the higher offer or have Sansa marry within the bannermen?

With Catelyn definitely Joffrey .

Archived