Sarah Conner Chronicles

SwordoftheMorning

Couldn't place the female terminator... but a quick search of IMDB clears it up... she was River from Firefly/Serenity! All grown up and looking hot.

As to the show itself... meh. It was okay for network TV, but really made no sense. They threw out all continuity with T3 and the twist at the end was entirely pointless. Honestly, why travel through time???? If you want to destroy Skynet, go to 2007 to begin with. Why do they need Sarah Conner to do it? Why drag a 15 year old John into the mix.

See, I'm watching this and this is what keeps going through my head:

Narrator: Dr. David Banner, Physician/Scientist, searching for a way to tap into the hidden strengths that all humans have. Then an accidental overdose of gamma radiation interacts with his unique body chemistry. And now, when David Banner grows angry or outraged, a startling metamorphasis occurs.

[while trying to change a tire during a thunderstorm, David changes into the Hulk]

Narrator: The creature is driven by rage and pursued by an investigative reporter.

David Banner: Mr. McGee, don't make me angry. You wouldn't like me when I'm angry.

[McGee witnesses an explosion from a building]

Narrator: An accidental explosion took the life of a fellow scientist and supposedly David Banner as well. The reporter thinks the creature was responsible.

Jack McGee: [voice-over] I gave a description to all the law enforcement agencies. They got a warrant for murder out of it.

Narrator: A murder which David Banner can never prove he or the creature didn't commit. So he must let the world go on thinking that he too is dead, until he can find a way to control the raging spirit that dwells within him.

How did anyone think this was a good idea for a show?

Eh, I'll keep watching. I expected much worse, to be honest. I don't mind them throwing out the T3 continuity - I saw the movie, but I remember NOTHING about it, whereas I still recall T1 and T2 pretty much entirely.

Travelling through time to 2007 was a little cheesy, but I guess it would be too expensive to keep the show supplied with 1999 props. And if they just set the show in 2007 to begin with, you'd have mid-20's John Connor who wouldn't need his over-protective mom around. But now that they're 8 years in the future, and he's still 15, won't John be a little young to lead the rebellion in a few years?

Also, when Sarah came up in the computer, it listed her age as 33. If John is 15, that means she was 18 when she gave birth. Uh, no, she was more like 23 or so in T1. But we've already discussed the discontinuity in John's age between T1, T2 and T3, so what's one more glitch?

So how'd the whole bank thing work? They sent someone back to 1963 when the bank was being built, who put the gadgets in their from the beginning? The big question for the Terminator series for me has always been - why doesn't Skynet send someone back to the 1800's and kill John Connor's great-great-great-great grandfather? There'd be no way to stop a terminator back then. The kinda weak rationale I worked out is that maybe they can only go back a certain time - like to when they have computer records, which may be the early '80s. But if they sent someone back to the '60s, that kind of blows that theory.

I liked the fact that they tied in Miles Dyson from T2. Also, and we haven't seen him yet - but the previews show that the psychiatrist makes a return appearance (same actor, too, I believe). FBI guy will be a main character, it looks like, and maybe so will Sarah's jilted fiance? Although if they were only together 6 months, will he still be pining after her 8 years later?

A tie-in I'd like to see down the road (if the show lasts), is a run-in with young Reece.

Sarah Connor's character here didnt exhibit any of the toughness or grit, or feel anywhere near as real as Linda Hamilton did. She honestly felt like a person whose life had been total hell, and I was willing to believe she was tough.

The new one? She looks and feels like she stepped out of Desperate Housewives.

John Connor should at least have a pair of balls slightly larger then when he was 13. Instead they seem to have shrunken a size or two.

The female Terminator simply didnt act anything like the Terminators in the prior episodes. When they got asked a question, they actually answered it, rather then give a stupid one liner.

The female Terminator simply didnt act anything like the Terminators in the prior episodes. When they got asked a question, they actually answered it, rather then give a stupid one liner.

Yeah, I want to respond to this point, but I have to run right now, so...(wait for it)...

I'll be back.

Sorry...couldn't resist....

Sarah Connor's character here didnt exhibit any of the toughness or grit, or feel anywhere near as real as Linda Hamilton did. She honestly felt like a person whose life had been total hell, and I was willing to believe she was tough.

The new one? She looks and feels like she stepped out of Desperate Housewives.

John Connor should at least have a pair of balls slightly larger then when he was 13. Instead they seem to have shrunken a size or two.

To be honest, Linda Hamilton's Sarah Conner was a ditzy 20something at the beginning of Terminator, she transformed herself into a tough as nails bitch on wheels by T2. But to tell the truth, the one in the series is completely lacking in any of her edge, smarts, or inner steel. The whole romance at the beginning felt ridiculous, She would be on of the most wanted women on the planet, hiding out in some small town shacked up with the dude from Oz ? I dont think so.

John Connor having itty bitsy cajones ? Yea, that don't fit either. And the whole bit of the all-American girl as his Terminator protector ? ummmmmm nope. I'll still prolly watch tomorrow, but so far, everything that could go wrong has.

If you cant see Sarah Connor jabbing a needle full of bleach into someone's neck, then she is not a good Sarah Connor. End of story.

But we did get to see a crappy old recliner stop bullets. I feel much safer at home now, because my recliners aren't even crappy.

What are you talking about lack of balls and smarts? These people loaded their truck down with remote control C-4 by the random, off chance that a Terminator happened to be walking by it. Talk about prepared!! Of course they weren't smart enough to change their alias. Bad sign actually, not even a full episode into the series and they're already making the characters absurdly dumb to drive the plot along. "Lazy! LAZY WRITING!" (Sung like the Davy Crockett song)

I cringed when the scrawny eye-candy mimicked Arnold....don't ever do that again. They've already hinted that this model is 'different' and is probably programmed with some sort of emotions and empathy, which is a great copout for whenever she doesn't quite come off like an unstoppable robotic killing machine. Expect Data-ish antics to ensue. Wooo hooo!...transported to 2007, expect fish out of water bullshit tomorrow.

Lets see, Hamilton's Conner was smart, resourceful, tough as nails, and more than a little bit unhinged. This one is none of that. John is a pussy. And I never thought I'd go out of my way to defend an Arnie performance, but I never had to pretend that he was an unstoppable robotic killing machine. He fucking was Terminator. With the new girl and random guy...kinda got to pretend they're intimidating.

That said, a bit nonsensical. And honestly, I can't even really say it has potential. I generally have to fortify myself against disappointment whenever I watch a network show and this is no different. But I can't say that it was really painful. And I'll probably give it another shot tomorrow. But I can't say that there's anything thus far that makes me want to watch this.

I've only seen parts of the first Terminator movie. I think it's been, like, at least nine years since I watch T2. So this is one viewer not completely overwhlemed by fanboy bias.

That being said, this was forgetable. Besides the many, many incidents where I just had to ignore logic (the kevlar recliner, not changing their aliases, the perfectly-positioned C4 truck, the entire time-machine-in-a-bank [seriously, what the frick was that?]) I thought making this new terminator-protector "different" by giving her what looked like some form of empathy... bullshit. Utter bullshit.

A forgetable experience altogether. I'll give it one more chance after I watch Prison Break tomorrow. Seriously, did they even try to provide some sort of hook for the casual viewer to jump aboard with? You're an action based show, you'd expect at some point they'd attempt to inject some form of adrenaline. Not so far.

Visual perception is important, and let's face it, a hulking, muscled up Arnie or a liquid-metal, Michael Myers-like terminator (like in T2) is more menacing than most female shapes. Like it or not, at first glance, male Terminators are likely to invoke more feelings of menace and dread than female ones.

Have you watched any horror movie in the last ten years?

I like it so far. The show has reminded me of how low budget the first movie was. I loved the whole expectations of Cameron as "the good Terminator" {which the Audience and the characters automatically accept because of T2} and the Time Machine in a Bank Vault deus ex machina {literally in this case} but it was Arnold's Terminator who was lamenting the lack of Plasma rifles in the 80s. Also, stop taking the Time Travel aspects so literally. I was wondering how they would handle the paradoxes set up by the T2 ending and it looks like that's going to be the main plot of the series. "Solve a TT paradox by causing a counter TT event." Works for me.

It's not T1 or T2 and that's a good thing because we already have them. It's TV and it's fine.

Archived